• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roku??

I've used a Roku for the last year. I don't miss cable much at all. I'm currently watching the last few episodes of Breaking Bad on Netflix. The Roku works pretty well, though about once a week it freezes up and you need to reboot it. All in all I'm pretty happy with the switch. I'd say we watch Netflix about 80% of the time, Hulu about 15% of the time, and Amazon about 5% of the time. The commercials on Hulu Plus do get very annoying.

I mostly miss the History channel and the outdoor shows, but they weren't worth the price of the monthly cable bill. There are some cool hunting shows on Vimeo if you search through it a bit. I don't think I'd ever switch back to a full blown cable package.

Was where you are at and did it about 6 months ago. Between Netflix and Hulu....the kid hardly knew the difference...give him 12 sponge Bob episodes and will catotonically stare and drool for weeks on end. Personally went through a little withdrawal from some of the sci/natgeo/hist channel stuff, but the shakes were not bad enough to spend the extra 80 bucks a month. Am thinking about adding red box as most of the "good"movies are already burned out. Can envision going a couple years with this setup and maybe switching back just because there will probably not be much for new material, but who knows...maybe we will have a more of a al la carte cable/sat option by then.

As a matter of fact we just did the same thing around Dec.   So far so good.   Its an easy plug and play.   Dropped cable and kept the internet only.

There are hundreds of channels on Roku, but to be honest 95% of the time its basically a Netflix device for me.    I too miss the Disc/History channels, but a lot of the older stuff is on Netflix.

I may need to look a little harder, but is there any first run movies available on demand on Roku?   Sometimes I get the urge to watch something new and wouldn’t mind paying  a few bucks to do it.

But its been seamless for us.  I added an OTA antenna for broadcast channels and was amazed how much better the HD picture was compared to cable. So with the antenna and Roku, we easily have enough for our viewing pleasure.    Being able to watch the entire series of Breaking Bad was easily worth the Roku retail price

Also, do a search for ROKU Private Channels, these are the unlisted ones you need to add a code to watch. Some very interesting/good viewing out there. Any issues PM me and I can shoot you the link I have.

I may need to look a little harder, but is there any first run movies available on demand on Roku?   Sometimes I get the urge to watch something new and wouldn’t mind paying  a few bucks to do it.

Pretty sure you can run Amazon instant video on that thing....

I have a Roku box on a secondary TV, but usually just use my PS3 to stream netflix/hulu/amazon instant video.

I've been cable/satellite free for a couple years now. The only thing I miss is twins games and hockey. 99.999% of stuff on TV is total garbage.

Ok so I'll admit I'm COMPLETELY illeterate when it comes to this. Is Roku a streaming type device? And when you guys talk of Netflix do I assume you have a $$ account with Netflix? To dumb it down for me, can you watch Vikings game on Roku? Or would you just by an antenna and get that over the "air". Where as my kids might want to watch SpongBob and that would be "streamed" from my netflix accont??

Amazon Streaming is on Roku. You can rent, buy, or with prime get a bunch for no extra charge. I love amazon prime. All sorts of free books and movies and 2 day shipping on orders.

There are also a bunch of other movie channels that are either a few bucks a month or ppv. There is also a PBS thing with all kinds of shows to stream.

Like I said before search ROKU PRIVATE CHANNELS

These are all the channels out there, you will find anything your little heart desires.....but seriously watch out what your little heart desires.

Have you ever thought of watching 1channel through xbmc? I do that and I really enjoy it. I have to wait a day or two after it airs but I'm ok with that. The thing is you need to be able mirror you computer to you tv your you need to be able to hook up your computer to your tv.