• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best tires in deep snow?

lungdeflator

Looking for a set of new tires and narrowed down that snow performance is going to be most critical for me. Wôuld a typical mud tire like mud lites or executioners work or would something more like bighorns work better? Will be going on a 2012 foreman Thanks!

Last time I had a set of tires as aggressive as the bighorns that were an off brand they handled terrible in the summer and down the road and really pulled on the steering. Go on the net and check the reviews of any tires you get. There may be some great ones much cheaper than the bighorns, but be careful.

Ok thanks for the thoughts. I see theres a couple tires similar to bighorns, specifically the duro powergrips. Is there a huge difference? Is saving about 40$ per tire worth it?

Most of the bighorn knock offs are bias ply rather than radials. Bighorns do very well in snow.

I've got over 3500 miles on my bighorns and they are maybe half worn. Highly doubt the Duro's even come close to that mileage. Great tire for the snow. Sidewalls are decently stiff so you can air them down and float even better. Rocky mountain atv usually has good prices and free shipping.

Been running the ITP mud lite XLs the last 2 winters plowing the driveway and ice fishing. I got them based on web reviews, weight, cost, and the inline tread pattern which tracks much better than the plain jane factory tires did. Looks like the bighorns are great but I can't believe how much snow the mud lites kick out. Too early to say on tread life but they seem solid. Wondering what the big advantage is to the radials versus bias?

I feel like a woman...changing my mind, cant make a decision!! I don't have any experience with any aftermarket tires, I just know that basically any aftermarket tire is better than stock. Its hard for me to believe that a tire with a tight pattern like Bighorns are better in snow than something loose like a mud lite. I just found the STI MudTrax tire...similar to mud lites.

I will be buying from RockyMTN though, Ive heard alot of great things about them.

Any mud tire that has wide treads is the opposite of what you want. The reason is that these types of tires will self clean better which causes them to dig into snow rather than pack down the snow and roll on top of it. I have had mudlites and there is no comparison to the big horns. With that being said I would think ITP TerraCross or the MudlIte ATR would be good in the snow as well.

I have 27" Gorilla Silverbacks on a Sportsman 800. They are a huge void mud tire and they do great in deep snow. Goes across the lakes with my flipover in tow just fine. I plow with them too, only issue there is I have to watch not to tear up the yard. They are more tire than most people need but the aggressive tires will do just fine in deep snow.