• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam X2 Shelter

Riich

I am seriously considering purchasing this shelter after looking at one in Scheels this past weekend. I'm apprehensive about the weight though, at 135# it isn't exactly the lightest thing out there. I'd be using this shelter with my wife when she wants to tag along, but when she isn't it may be just myself at times.

You guys that have this shelter, can you get it loaded in the rear of a pickup by yourselves? And how do you like the X2? It looks like a well built portable, possibly more than a guy actually needs. The tub looks bullet proof.

Who has one and how do you like it?

Thanks.

I have had the older version X2 since 2007, and just upgraded it with the thermal cover this year. The first question I would ask you is what you are planning to pull it out on the ice with? If its your feet, look elsewhere, this thing is an absolute beast to move on snow covered ice! I have the runner kit on mine, and it provides no help sliding across the snow.

I am able to load it in the back of my pickup by setting it up on end, pushing the nose over on the tailgate, then lifting straight up while pushing the sled forward towards the cab. Less than ideal, but can be done if you're in fairly good shape.

Having said all that, I love my X2 and would never think to replace it!

It's a well built shelter; bulletproof as you put it. And as you allude to, it's a lot of weight by yourself.

Real honestly, it's a bear to load by yourself without a planking system and winch. I think to answer your question, we need to know more about how you like to fish. Do you use a snowmobile or ATV? Do you mostly fish solo? Move around a lot? My initial thoughts are to recommend a smaller 2 man design, like a Tundra or a Nanook, especially if you mostly fish by yourself and if you don't use a sled or ATV.

Here's a side by side comparison of two man shelters--> http://catalog.clamoutdoors.com/plog-con...-14_page_09.jpg

Here's my take on it from using it for the first time last year-->

X2 Log

I recommend it for doing the rough trips into the sticks with a sled or ATV. In that sort of usage, it's a super fish house.

Good luck this winter!

I also was looking to upgrade to a new cover. Being that you have the "new" thermal top, did the tent fit ok over the old poles? I checked on availability of covers from Clam and they said the old pole system is not designed for the new thermal covers? not sure what they did to the poles to make them better. they don't seem to be heavier. you have any concerns or have you used the new cover last year ?

I had the earlier version and IMO it was the best house Clam made. Glad they brought it back. That being said I just sold mine as it was a beast to load like others have stated. I am getting into spearing now so am looking at a Frabil Hub house. We fish some lakes in and around Voyaguers so I use a snowmobile. I am trying to get a lighter load so will be buying a Otter tub and pop up. I hated having to lift that back into my truck as I am short and just had back surgery also this summer.

IMO if you are looking at the Clam X2 take the time to go look at the Otter XT1200 Lodge. You won't look back. Hands down one of the best houses on the market and no I am not a staffer. I have the XT900 Lodge and love it. There's got to be other that feel the same.

IMO if you are looking at the Clam X2 take the time to go look at the Otter XT1200 Lodge. You won't look back. Hands down one of the best houses on the market and no I am not a staffer. I have the XT900 Lodge and love it. There's got to be other that feel the same.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you here. However, the price for an X2 versus an Otter XT 1200 is quite a bit lopsided. I have an X2 and love it. If you're a bow hunter or know a bow hunter, you/they probably bought a hang on tree stand and received a cheap harness with it. Attach harness to pull rope and you have an easy pulling X2. In fact, if you can't find one, I'll dig through my totes and see if I still have an extra one. In all reality, the X2 is heavy for one person to pack up into a pickup, but I rarely go fishing by myself.

Walleyedude2001: replacement thermal cover fit better on my old X2 than the original skin did. I Just put it on, so I have no idea what it will do when I hit the ice. Not sure why they would tell you it wouldn't work when their HSOforum clearly states it fits both X2 & X2 thermal Shelters. No problems upgrading........strongly recommend it!

Hey, thanks for all the replies. So to sum things up, it is heavy but just do it! laugh I do have an ATV to pull with, so that isn't really a huge issue. I pictured this thing just sliding across the snow and ice if I did want to pull it by hand. And I do anticipate that happening from time to time. And I do fish alone some too, so now I am really undecided. I will be going back to look at them again in a week or two so I will look them over better and maybe look at some of the other suggestions as well. If I knew for a fact I would never have to use this shelter alone I would jump on it. I was just so impressed with the build of the tub and the covering. You get what you pay for, but you also get weight to go along with that kind of build too. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again.

The only thing I didn't like about my X2 was the raised front on the sled. It really cut into the space, especially with two large guys. Is that different with the new X2?

I have the new generation full thermal. I love the layout of it and the sled isn't raised now so you have more elbow room. As to weight I switched from an otter large resort to this one. I used to load that resort fully loaded by myself into the truck. I would get back unhook and slide the sleigh up my trailer ramp across the trailer and into the truck. Very easy even fully loaded. I would then load my sled or ATV onto the trailer. This whole process took less than 10 minutes. I will do the same with this Clam X2 Thermal the bonus here is that it has all the room of that old resort and weighs 50-60 lbs less! Lots of guys at the local access couldn't believe that I could put that big ol' sleigh in my truck by myself..... I said play smarter not harder!

Good luck in your decision I can tell you that after assembling mine and sitting in it in the garage I really can't wait to get it on the ice!

Riich,

yes the X2 is nice but to save on weight and still have a full thermal house that you and your wife can fish out have you considered looking at the thermal Nanook. it is 50 lbs lighter. the only negative would be that you would be better off building a rack for you ATV to haul it out instead of pulling it out with the ATV and the height is lower then the X2. the sled on it is thinner and not designed for long distance pulling. if you were to only fish by your self I would recommend the X1 Thermal as it only weighs 76 LBS and is built like the X2.

Have had an X2 since 06, use it a lot put hundreds of miles on it and it's held up very well. May have to look into the thermal cover but the original cover on it now is in very good condition...

Mine has the runner kit and tow bar kit.

Only problem was the first year had an issue with the seat bolts stripping out but clam took care of it.

I'd like to add, I don't have an ATV which was weighing heavily on my decision to buy my first flip over. I knew in the next 2-3 years that I would have an ATV so I didn't want to buy a nanook now for easy pulling, then have to upgrade once I got an ATV. So, pulling it with my legs is the only option I have right now unless I head out with someone who has a sled or atv. Is it heavy? Yes. Can one man with reasonable strength pull it and put it into the truck box? Yes.

Hello everyone.

I just purchased the Clam X-2 and was disappointed at first with a few parts that were not manufactured correctly. I contacted the company and with the Clams reputation of keeping its customers completely happy they sent me out a new X-2 fully made and this one had nothing but excellence in quality. I am quite pleased with how they rectified the problem and will continue to be a clam user just for this fact. I will let you know how its on the ice once its a little thicker. I plan on taking my son so I wanted something warm and had some comfort to make sure he will continue to fish with me in the cold. The new house I received was great. I did quite some research and if anything the customer satisfactions is by far the best.

To be specific the parts missing were part 101466 hammock accessory. Part Number 103788 assy, retainer bracket that was sheared wrong and cut through a hole that held a plastic part # 102429. The last thing was part # 104018 2 plastic hooks. The bar that was going across the tub was not parallel with the tub side due to holes drilled in wrong location causing binding when the seats would slide. Clam fixed everything by replacing and shipping out a new Thermal X-2 fully built to my house. :)Very pleased with the one fully shipped. Definitely made the right decision in purchasing the Thermal X-2.

8 year update :  I am still quite pleased with the x2 thermal that I have purchased so many years ago.  I turned it into a hotel on ice.  Taking one seat out, I was able to put a full cot inside and still fish the other side.  There is minimal wear except for the cover which seems to have stretched out some and the plastic wear bars on the bottom from dragging it on roads and dry parking lots.   Even with the new X2 that came out, it would be nice to have the doors on the side and being able to stand fully by the door.   This sled will last me to the end of my life because you can not purchase any tub like the one on this sled.  It is heavy with two seats but with one and minimal gear its easy to pull around.  A little 2x3 ramp from my van makes it an easy in and easy out sled.  The only thing I wished is that when everything is closed up, it was less than 6 feet.  Those two-3 inches bigger, I have to remove another one of my seats in my van to be able to close the back door.  Other than that, I continue to be a Clam boy or Clam old man now.   I recommend purchase great things when young and it will pay off when older because the price has risen so much that its near to impossible to afford if on a fixed income.  This X2 thermal  is by far the best ice shack and Clam will continue to provide me with excellent products that make ice fishing a blast.  In another 8-10 years, I will provide an update.  

9 minutes ago, Greenfin said:

8 year update :  I am still quite pleased with the x2 thermal that I have purchased so many years ago.  I turned it into a hotel on ice.  Taking one seat out, I was able to put a full cot inside and still fish the other side.  There is minimal wear except for the cover which seems to have stretched out some and the plastic wear bars on the bottom from dragging it on roads and dry parking lots.   Even with the new X2 that came out, it would be nice to have the doors on the side and being able to stand fully by the door.   This sled will last me to the end of my life because you can not purchase any tub like the one on this sled.  It is heavy with two seats but with one and minimal gear its easy to pull around.  A little 2x3 ramp from my van makes it an easy in and easy out sled.  The only thing I wished is that when everything is closed up, it was less than 6 feet.  Those two-3 inches bigger, I have to remove another one of my seats in my van to be able to close the back door.  Other than that, I continue to be a Clam boy or Clam old man now.   I recommend purchase great things when young and it will pay off when older because the price has risen so much that its near to impossible to afford if on a fixed income.  This X2 thermal  is by far the best ice shack and Clam will continue to provide me with excellent products that make ice fishing a blast.  In another 8-10 years, I will provide an update.  

Nice product review.  Have any picture of the cot setup you did in it?