• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing advice

tipup

I just purchased my first spear house, been wanting to try for years and I am going to do it this year. I would like the top 5 advice/equipment(other than the obvious) that you would recommend to the beginner. Thanks!!

Well you started with number one by reading these forums you will learn a lot from these guys on here.

Fish Toys Ice Saw is a must.

An assortment of spoons/daredevils and a way to jig or spin them or a good selection of decoys or better yet both that I mentioned.

A oversized minnow net like the ones in the bait stores for removing ice out of the hole.

Most importantly you must have patience.

There are so many things that one might want or need and it is just to hard to narrow it down. One other thing to remember is to have as much fun as you can and stay safe and don't forget to mark your hole when you leave the lake.

Spearing season is upon us enjoy the sport.

Decoys, not plastic or cheap ones, red and white, perch, northern pike and a white fish if you spear in the northern half of the state. Decoys I like are about 8 ins. long and swim well. I have over 75 decoys and end up using the above mentioned ones 90% of the time. Another thing you need is a chair you can sit in for hours at a time.

The nice part about spearing is it doesn't take much equipment to get started. The thing that amazes me though is how much money I spend each year on new "stuff" I have to have.

Good point when I first started I used what I already had for ice fishing only thing different was my grandpas spear and a live minnow hanging in the hole then I upgraded with the things I had to have every year.

Thanks guys!!! All very good advice, and I can not wait to get started!!! I will reread all of the post and for sure let you all know how I do the first few times out!! Good luck to all and thanks!!

1. Don't need much for decoys and you'll be surprised what will attract pike like a Barbie doll whistle

2. Ice saw

3. SHARP spear with good rope. Don't throw spear "release" spear.

4. Bring panfish pole, gold spoon, rattle traps, swim baits.

5. Small radio and comfy chair.

6. Snow storm=fish movement get your but in the shack!!

7. Don't have to use a live minnow but it does help. I speared all last year never bought a minnow.

8. Small pike or red/white decoy are good stand by decoys when fishing is slow.

9. Don't need to jig decoy let sit all day and be surprised what will come in.

10. Bring a kid!!!!

11. YouTube how to take Y-bones out on a pike and make poor-mans-lobster😉

MR

One thing that you will need for sure is patience. Like someone said you might not see a fish for a really long time but don't give up. Move if you feel the need to.

One tip of advice not mentioned is, if you have panfish down the hole, pay attention to their behavior. If they scatter all of a sudden or ease out of the hole, there is more than likely a northern coming in, or near by but out of sight. I like to have a jigging pole along to keep panfish in the hole, not necessarily to catch but no matter the size keep them in or near your hole, and use them as an indicator of what may be out of my sight in the water.

Oh yeah, and when you are done, PUSH YOUR BLOCK IN AND MARK YOUR HOLE WELL!!!

Looks Like tons of great advice, that I will use!!!! Thank you all for the info!!! I got the house home yesterday and I am getting it ready for ice!!!! I will keep you all posted when I hit the ice for the first time.

Hey Tipup,

Most Sundays there are a few of us from the site out on Fish Lake by Harris. You should come down and join us sometime.

There's your best advice by a mile... I can read a book on brain surgery, but that doesn't mean I am ready to grab a scalpel! If you get a chance to fish with someone who is experienced, that's learning gold. From setting up, to how to "act" in the fish house, how to react to fish coming in, even how to use the spear properly...it's all valuable and it can save you a lot of frustration (and perhaps save some fish from being wounded versus being harvested) to spend a day or two with someone in the know. Above all, patience and effort trump "luck" any day. Let us know how it goes!

Made it out today with a freind of mine who has a shack, and man oh man!!!! What a rush!!! 3 fish in two hours!! I did not spear as I wont have my lic. until Mondau when my shack goes out, mainly sitting and watching to get the whole deal figured out!!! I can tell I am going to be liking this!!!