• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower unit drain down! Did you win or lose?

leech~~

I was a winner so thats good, do it every fall.

FYI they do make alternate screw head types but depends on your motor here are a few examples these are for johnson/evinrude etec, the sizes may differ between motors

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;classNum=61543

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Internation...xgy_auto_text_y

If you have problems getting the screw out with a big screwdriver, invest in one of the "impact drivers" that you hit with a hammer. They are cheap and work miracles. They were the only thing that would get the screws out of the side case on my motorcycles.

I didn't drain my lower unit for the first time in years! Planned on it, but ran out of time. Needed to get the boat ready to go to storage that after noon.( was having a knee replaced the next day)I HOPE there isn't a problem!!

My (new to me) Ranger with a 115 E-tec saltwater has allen head screws for the lower unit.

I didn't drain my lower unit for the first time in years! Planned on it, but ran out of time. Needed to get the boat ready to go to storage that after noon.( was having a knee replaced the next day)I HOPE there isn't a problem!!

My (new to me) Ranger with a 115 E-tec saltwater has allen head screws for the lower unit.

Maybe give a shout-out to some HSO member down by you and they could do it for you? It's not hard at all to do! wink

If you have problems getting the screw out with a big screwdriver, invest in one of the "impact drivers" that you hit with a hammer. They are cheap and work miracles. They were the only thing that would get the screws out of the side case on my motorcycles.

+1 When I bought my new to me Lund, the drain plugs on the lower unit wouldn't budge. Bought an impact driver and a couple whacks with a 3lb hammer and they came right out. Pretty awesome tool to have.

Nice and clean Lower Unit lube came running out on Sunday when I changed it. My old boat was always a loss with milkiness a-plenty. Still the annual fall change was enough to keep the lower unit running just fine.

One tip is to use the Amsoil synthetic lube. You can find at Mills FF, and its only a few dollars more than the regular stuff. I find it drains and fills faster in the cool November temps, and it smells less too. I also feel like it would hold up better if water did get in there somehow, but I have nothing concrete to back that up.

Nice and clean Lower Unit lube came running out on Sunday when I changed it. My old boat was always a loss with milkiness a-plenty. Still the annual fall change was enough to keep the lower unit running just fine.

One tip is to use the Amsoil synthetic lube. You can find at Mills FF, and its only a few dollars more than the regular stuff. I find it drains and fills faster in the cool November temps, and it smells less too. I also feel like it would hold up better if water did get in there somehow, but I have nothing concrete to back that up.

I have used nothing but Amsoil for years and been very happy with it.

Thanks! I just ran out of time. I've done it many times, but things that day just didn't go as planned. Boat is in storage now, so it will wait till next spring. Had a hard time getting the throttle control to work to automatically fog the engine.( 115 e-tec saltwater) Once I got it figured out, it works really slick!

Went to the storage place yesterday. I managed to leave several spare spools in the boat!! Got those and also found four packages of plastic swim baits I had missed!! Oooops!

Finley got around to and found I LOST. Ever so slightly milky barley discolored. But what bothered me was tiny little gold specs in the oil. It was not a lot but enough to see it. Are they brass gears in there and is it normal or some thing I should be concerned about.

Thanks

Thanks truth.Does Water in the oil gets in there from the seal right behind the impellor? and if so is it hard to change. I did have the lower unit off mid summer to change out water pump so that part I am familiar with.

Thanks again.

Well, I didn't lose per say, but my bottle of gear lube did run out before it spewed from the top hole, so I ran to Cabelas and they were sold out. All boat stores in Rogers close early now, so my boat was left with the empty bottle and tube still connected and the stinky oil pan out until I can buy more.

Wife thinks is smells like Cat pizz.