• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

backpacking equipment?

Z7EXTERME

I am going to be hunting in the wma next werkend. I have been hearing the farther in you the better your odds are. Just trying to figure out a comfortable to get a stand back pack bow ect... in whit to much of a hassle to sit all day? . I have hunted Ripley and other hunts which I have had to haul evrrything in. How do you get everything in what has worked best for you?

I have a Summit climber stand and I've come up with a way to lash my backpack to my stand. I also lash my heavier outerwear to the stand as well so I don't get heated up. My next project is to get some better backpack straps and maybe even a hip belt. In essence, you can basically turn your stand into an external frame pack (albeit poorly designed).

It also helps to only bring the bare essentials with you to cut down on weight.

I try to keep my gear to a minimum, as stick mentions climber or hang-on/sticks. I downgraded to a mid-sized fanny pack this year. Because I had a backpack before that I would stuff if full and bring stuff I really didn't need. Not warm clothes get strapped to the stand and if it doesn't fit in my small pack I don't need it.

Climber or hang-on/stick combo on back. Daypack worn backwards around your chest. Bow in one hand, other free to navigate brush and/or gps.

Thats what I do in any season. The key is to look carefully at what you need to bring with you. Make sure to bring the important stuff but learn to do without the stuff that isn't as important. Also if you do a scouting trip and find a spot you like take a machete with you and on the walk back out try to make a little bit of a trail for yourself if possible. I try to trim up some of the scrub brush and branches from deadfalls, and any other little stuff that its easy to hang up on. Eliminating some of the hang ups will make your walk easier and quieter. Bushwhacking with a stand on your back and bow or rifle in hand can burn up energy and can be very noisy.

As it gets colder out the most important thing I've found is to make sure you dress appropriately. Make sure to wear layers and leave off your heaviest layers until you are getting into your stand. During the hike in you want to make sure you don't start to sweat. If you sweat you'll be much colder when you get in your stand. I find it harder during rifle season when I am wearing more and heavier layers. During rifle season I ditched the bulkier coat and bibs for a light weight rain suit shell that goes over multiple thinner under layers.

My son and I carry in and out all the time. We have it down pretty good. We use both climbers and hang-ons depending on the trees. I prefer to carry my climber in versus a hang-on.

With either type of stand, we bungee cord the back pack to the stand and put as much in the back pack as you can. Heavy bibs get strapped to the stand also. Down jacket gets stuffed in the back pack if its cold. Outer camo rain jacket is tied around my waist or in the back pack if I need that.

If we are using hang-on stands, we use pegs where they are allowed, instead of sticks.

We both have bow slings, which prevents your arms from getting tired carring the bow.

I have also changed the straps on our climbers to more comfortable padded straps. I still need to do that to our hang-on stands.

We bring a cart, but it stays in the truck unless we need to haul a deer out. I also bring a cheap plastic sled in case the terain is too rough for the cart. Even without snow, the sled is much better then just trying to drag a deer out with nothing but a strap.

Nels

Here's my suggestion: get yourself a Kelty Cache Hauler. They are the cream of the crop for frame packs (at least in the "less than really, really expensive" category). They usually run between $100 and $150, but if you snoop around long enough you can find them for well under $100. I bought mine for $65. Strap your daypack on the Cache Hauler with the daypack's straps, put your stand on the Cache Hauler with tarp straps, and you're good to go.

I know some are fans of carts (as Nells Bells mentioned above). I'm not. IMO you are much, much better off bringing in with you a couple 48" Alaskan Game bags, one kitchen sized garbage bag (per person, put the game bag in this to keep everything clean), and a Havalon knife. When you shoot an deer, take care of it via the gutless method (search it online and watch the video- it's very easy once you get the hang of it). This will save you an extra trip back to the truck to dump your gear and get the cart/sled and it'll let you take everything out in one trip.

There are also better options than the Cache Hauler, but they are quite expensive. I like my Kelty Cache Hauler a lot and for these types of applications, it's hard to beat! It's especially hard to beat given the price. $65 for a bomb proof frame pack that'll handle twice as much as my body can.

Good luck!

I've often thought about quartering the deer up and carrying it out the way Scoot suggested and I may try it after watching the video but it is still going to take 2 trips in my opinion. (1 for the gear and 1 for the deer)

I'm not sure that most people could carry all that gear along with the added weight of the 4 quarters of a deer, with head, in one trip very far. The weight of my stand (Summit aluminum climber=22 lbs) plus the weight of me pack and extra clothing, is a lot, for me anyways. Adult deer field dressed is over 100 lbs.

This is what the MN regs state for transporting a deer: The head of a deer must remain attached to the carcass until the deer is registered. Skin and entrails may be removed before registration. Deer may be quartered before being registered, but the animal’s head must remain attached to one of the quarters.

I'm not sure if you can leave the rib cage or any bones on the public property in MN. Maybe its no different then a gut pile. I know that they don't like it when people discard their deer carcasses on public land after they have butchered them.

Nels

Nells,

Good point regarding the regs in MN- I'm honestly not familiar with them as they pertain to this particular issue. I hadn't considered that part of the equation when I replied. In the states that I hunt elk and muleys out West, the approach I mentioned above is totally legal (although not possible with an elk that takes multiple trips for two guys).

Regarding taking the deer out in one trip-- if you do the deer using the gutless method and take the meat off the bones of each quarter, would it still be over 100 lbs? I doubt it would and I'd guess it'd be closer to 75 lbs or so. I may be wrong on that, or maybe I just shoot small deer! All I can tell you is that I've taken the meat of a deer (no bones in the quarters), with head, and my stand and bow out over a mile using the method I mentioened above (and I'm not exactly super human! In fact, I'm not particularly strong compared to most.)

Also, just in case it came across otherwise, I wasn't trying to disparage the method Nells uses or any other method- just trying to say what I've used in the past, has worked for me, and that I think would work for others. If you've got a better method that works for you, go for it!

Good luck!

Nels you can register over the phone now so that isn't much of an issue, like you I pack in and out every night. If I shoot one way back have an extra pack with bags/tools in my truck to quarter and haul out. Plan to go gutless just as scoot mentioned.

I have also changed the straps on our climbers to more comfortable padded straps. I still need to do that to our hang-on stands.

Nels

Great suggestion NELS. I use the Wolf Pack for my climber, but there are many others. Some comfy padded straps will make your treks in/out much more enjoyable.

I carry my climber much like everyone else has described in the "back pack formation". I got some shoulder straps and waist strap off my old military ruck sack and put them on my climber. Works really well. You can adjust the straps as you walk to carry the load on different parts of the body, i.e. more on the shoulders or more on the back so you don't get worn out walking in. I also use a military style backpack with a bunch of straps on it, so I can clip it right onto my stand. Leaves me just carrying my bow. Works out well for me.

Would have to be a very large deer to get 100 even 75 pounds of just meat. Typically on a deer you are going to get 1/3 to half of the dressed weight in just meat. So you have to be bagging 250 pound live weight deer to get that much meat and I don't see many of those around.

For an example my Grandson just got a small deer with a bow and it weighed 61 pounds dressed out. I ended up with 23 pounds of meat. Average deer weigh about twice that much so do the math.

Would have to be a very large deer to get 100 even 75 pounds of just meat. Typically on a deer you are going to get 1/3 to half of the dressed weight in just meat. So you have to be bagging 250 pound live weight deer to get that much meat and I don't see many of those around.

For an example my Grandson just got a small deer with a bow and it weighed 61 pounds dressed out. I ended up with 23 pounds of meat. Average deer weigh about twice that much so do the math.

We just weighed a 1.5 year old doe at Ripley and it was 98 lbs field dressed.

According to the regs, you have to have the head attached to one of the quarters. 4 quarters plus the back straps, head and neck on an adult deer would be at least 60 lbs or more I'm guessing. The only thing missing would be the mid section. I guess the regs don't say anything about de-boning the other 3 quarters.

Also, the original poster mentioned that he was going to be hunting public land and I wouldn't want to risk getting caught by the CO with just 4 quarters of de-boned meat and no head. If it was private land, it wouldn't be as risky but then again, if it was private land, you would just go and retrieve the entire deer with your truck or ATV. grin

That being said, I am considering getting a frame pack and meat bags like Scoot suggested for those really long hauls. I'm sure it would be easier to haul out 4 quarters plus head and neck, rather then haul out an entire field dressed deer with a cart or sled. I still think it would take me 2 trips. crazy

Nels

I hope I have to worry about getting a deer out but having it being a one deer area I might be pretty picky on letting an arrow fly . Didn't get in to ripley this year so just trying to try a few new spots don't want to burn out my main hunting spots. I have tried putting the back pack on the stand but it gets pretty heavy. Will just need to cut down and bring only what I need might help this year I will have a light climber stand instead of my muddy hang on with muddy climbing sticks .

We just weighed a 1.5 year old doe at Ripley and it was 98 lbs field dressed.

According to the regs, you have to have the head attached to one of the quarters. 4 quarters plus the back straps, head and neck on an adult deer would be at least 60 lbs or more I'm guessing. The only thing missing would be the mid section. I guess the regs don't say anything about de-boning the other 3 quarters.

Also, the original poster mentioned that he was going to be hunting public land and I wouldn't want to risk getting caught by the CO with just 4 quarters of de-boned meat and no head. If it was private land, it wouldn't be as risky but then again, if it was private land, you would just go and retrieve the entire deer with your truck or ATV. grin

Nels, I'm not sure of a good weight estimate, but like I said before, I've done it and I prefer one trip over two. However, if two trips works better for some, I can certainly appreciate that. ...and let's be honest- how far are we typically talking about here? My guess is that most of these trips on public land in MN aren't 5 miles one way- they're typically more like 1 or 2 miles (usually at most I assume, although I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions), so making an extra trip isn't such a big deal. Out West where I hunt, making an extra trip might mean an additional 15 miles, and I really don't care to do that when I don't have to. That's a different deal though...

As far as the regs- I'd call the local CO and talk with him about it. I'm definitely not trying to advocate for something that would get anyone in trouble. I also don't recommend any kind of "risking it"- if it's not legal, don't do it. For me though, I much prefer to call the local CO when I'm in doubt and just talk it through with him. That way you're both on the same page and if he ever stops you, you've already been in communication with him and odds are good he'll remember talking with you. JMO on the matter...

Good luck to all, regardless of how you get your gear/deer in and out!

I thought once the deer was registered it no longer needed to have the head attached? With cell phones and smart phones one can register their deer right there in the woods and cut it up the way they need to haul it out. Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought once the deer was registered it no longer needed to have the head attached? With cell phones and smart phones one can register their deer right there in the woods and cut it up the way they need to haul it out. Correct me if I am wrong.

I never thought of that, but when you register online, aren't you suppose to print something off for documentation that its been registered? I can't remember since this year they registered my son's deer for him at Ripley.

I guess I'll be calling the CO today. These are good questions.

Nels

Z7EXTERME - Sorry, I didn't mean to take your thread in a different direction. Let us know how it goes and if you have any ideas that you found worked or didn't work as far as carrying your gear in.

I am going to try and get out on Sat afternoon and the spot I have in mind is almost a mile back. I still have a bonus tag and my reg tag, so if its an adult deer, I'm not passing it up.

Good luck,

Nels

I am going to try and get out on Sat afternoon and the spot I have in mind is almost a mile back. I still have a bonus tag and my reg tag, so if its an adult deer, I'm not passing it up.

Good luck Nels! Shoot a biggun and get us some pics!!!

I never thought of that, but when you register online, aren't you suppose to print something off for documentation that its been registered? I can't remember since this year they registered my son's deer for him at Ripley.

I guess I'll be calling the CO today. These are good questions.

Nels

Nels they just give you a confirmation number you write on the license, you can register either by phone or online.