• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Federal shutdown of hunting lands

Jameson

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it. When was the last time, if ever, anyone encountered a federal employee while hunting on a WPA.

2 years ago I was checked by a Federal Warden on the WPA I mentioned above. It was his first trip there and it sounded as though there would be return trips after talking to him. Pretty cool guy.

Yesterday, I read a news article on a another forum, that had a quote from an anonymous National Park Service ranger, that I found interesting. He/she said that the rangers were ordered to make these closures of federal land(s) as disruptive as possible, for the general public. This article dealt with a park closure along the coast of Florida. Still, take it for what it is worth. If this is true, the administration is to blame more than Congress, IMHO.

The way I understand it is the fish and wildlife federal officers are a necessary resource because they are classified the same as homeland security. If this is true then why can’t we hunt this land? I suspect the state officers will be out generating revenue.

Has a single "ticket" been handed out........????

Doubt it........

Much ado about nothing....... 'cept for a bunch of panties in a bunch wink

Probably hasn't been much activity on the WPA's - yet. A few duck hunters and thats it, an enforcement officer would have to drive a long way to find someone hunting. Now this weekend pheasant hunting opens up, just about every WPA will have people on it, will be easy to find hunters - unless they're scared off by the threat of a ticket.

I emailed our Senators and Representatives the following letter, and I urge everyone else to do the same. It only takes a second. Feel free to copy and paste. Just edit how many years you've been hunting federal lands.

"Apparently the federal government has decided that they will attempt to close the roughly 28% of the United States’ land mass of which they claim ownership.

What they fail to recognize is that the citizens own that land. We do not need their permission to access our land. They may administer and manage the resources with federal employees who are certainly impacted by a government shutdown. But it is a serious overstep of federal authority to believe they can prevent access to land owned by the people.

This is political posturing at its worst. An obvious attempt to create hardship for hunters and outdoorsman. Lawmakers should be embarrassed and ashamed for using the American people as pawns for political leverage. Not once in 22 years of hunting federal lands have I encountered a federal employee on duty. I urge you to re-open these lands as it costs nothing to allow access to lands which are unattended."

Franken's Email: http://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=email_al

Klobuchar's Email: http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public/email-amy

Your Representative Look up: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/MN

The forest is not closed BUT where do you park?? I know they are writing warnings just for parking on the road going into stare forest land- not even in the parking lot. With talking to the kid he's not going back to chance a ticket tonight either.

...Its laughable. Trespassing ON LAND WE PAID FOR.

Try walking into the Pentagon, or some Military base. We paid for that land, should be able to walk on it as we wish, right?

They don't have any good reason to close the forest lands as far as I can see. National security? nope. Wildlife management? nope. To be a thorn in the side? Yep.

I read this am in the paper, Mankato I believe that all National parks, WPA's and WMA's that are federally owned are closed during the shutdown.

I have see some of these areas and no closed signs but the paper said 481,000 acres in Mn are closed for useage.