• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrow slow or what?

mlvaj

Ok, I'm shooting close to 60lbs on my bow but I can still see my arrow arching when it flies? Thought they supposed to fly flat? I'm shooting a 400 gr arrow with 100 gr broadhead. Should I switch to a 250/300 gr arrow instead? I figure with the 400 gr arrow, I'll get more torque when the arrow hits. Would you prefer speed over torque or other way around?

Arrows arch no matter what speed you're shooting. For most whitetail hunting, your shots will be 30 yards or less. For me, a heavier quieter arrow is a much better option.

If you shoot a lot of 3D, or hunt out west where your shots tend to be longer, then you may want to choose a lighter arrow, otherwise stick with what you've got.

Are you hitting your targets at various distances? You're good to go.

Do you have difficulty estimating distance, and sometimes your shots go high or low because of distance + errors in distance estimation?

You might try a lighter arrow and see if it solves that problem for you.

If you're hitting your mark with a 60lb compound bow at various distances without measuring them first (or if you use a range finder to take care of that for you), I don't see a problem. Arcing arrows are not problems, missing your target is though.

Well, I can hit my target from different yardages so that is not the problem. It just feels weird that you can see your arrow's flight to the target. I figured that at over 200 fps, that thing can fly without you seeing it, but I guess not. Oh well, I'll stick with what I got, I too prefer the kinetic energy of my setup as well. Only thing to remember is, practice makes perfect.

I can always see my arrow. Even when shooting at deer I see it. I am shooting at 65 lbs. and in the high 200 fps range. I think that it is just part of shooting a bow, with the sights and concentration, you may or may not see the arrow, I dont think that there is anything wrong with seeing the arrow.

as one who shoots a stickbow w/o sights, for me it's imperative that I be able to see the arrow for my mind to process. My longbow shoots 182 fps and has fallen deer,bear,caribou, so speed has little importance to killing an animal.

Well, I can hit my target from different yardages so that is not the problem. It just feels weird that you can see your arrow's flight to the target. I figured that at over 200 fps, that thing can fly without you seeing it, but I guess not. Oh well, I'll stick with what I got, I too prefer the kinetic energy of my setup as well. Only thing to remember is, practice makes perfect.

While I do agree with the others about it doesnt take much to put an arrow through a deer, and I want to add as long as your sites are aligned correctly, your arrow should still do some damage out there a ways.

I know you said you are shooting about 60 pounds, but what kind of bow are you shooting? I know my old bow (Hoyt Spyder), I could see my arrow about 30 yards, but my new bow, I dont see it at 30. But I am also shooting a PSE DNA, which I believe is one of the fastest bows.

Do not go below 5 grains per pound of draw weight. It's not good for your bow. It can have the same effect as a dry fire.

Don't worry about the arc. It's better to notice it now that way you can watch for twigs when hunting that seem out of the way but aren't.

Taz, 182 fps with a long bow is pretty quick. Nice. I want to chrono my rer long bow out of curiosity.

I'm just curious, are you referring to numbers such as 250, 300, and 400, typical numbers you see stamped on and arrow shaft, as the weight of the arrow in grains?? Those numbers refer to the spine stiffness/straightness of the shaft. Lower equals stiffer. Arching arrows is just a result of slower arrows. Maybe your bow is older?? Like mentioned, an arrow that lands where it is supposed to is more beneficial than an arrow at wide open throttle zipping through the guts. Personally, if you are shooting a slower bow, I would opt for heavier arrows, because what little u lose in speed, you make up for in kinetic energy, the horsepower/torque of the arrows penetrating power!!

Flat shooting bows is more of a buzzword that anything. It sounds like you're more than capable of hitting the target so don't worry about arrow arch.

Even the fastest bows out there (300+ FPS) still have ark in the arrow. If you've ever seen the ballistic charts for a gun you will see it still has an arc and drop even though its shooting over 2000 FPS. Gravity is a constant.

The bows that rate at higher than 300 FPS are tested at 30" draw and 70;talk of pull. You're pulling "almost 60" is great, but it cannot be compared apples to apples. The bow you shoot also matters. My old bow was a 70lb draw but my new bow is much faster at 60lbs because of newer technology and design.

If you're really focused on getting a flatter shot, you're gonna need a new bow with a higher pull and new arrows etc. Just changing arrows will gain very little in your shot angle. It doesn't seem worth it to me, but its your money. Keep practicing with thebow you've got and you'll be fine.

My bow is pretty new, it's a 2011 PSE Bow Madness and I'm shooting 27" draw length. I've killed a few deer with this setup already but I was just curious to why I still see the arrow in flight. But guess I'm not the only one. I like my setup and it looks like it should last me a few more years to come.

I would not be concerned about the arrow arching at all, pretty normal.

I like to go with a heavier arrow weigh for a harder hit or more energy.

I shoot a pretty fast bow but I do not get all wrapped up in the speed of the arrow and alot of the other things.

if the bow hits what I shoot at and hits it well, I really do not care how fast or if it archs or not.

These bows companies brag about all the speed and if one is 30fps second faster, as far as a faster arrow, it will give you a bit more distance with 1 pin but that's about it.

Yes, the faster arrow may get to the target a half second faster but it really does not matter, at least to me it does not.

Get your bow shooting well and that's good enough, least for me it is and I never have any issues killing a deer.

I just went thru this when I bought my new bow this summer. I found out the long way that my bow is sensitive to arrow spine. Once I bought the correctly spined arrows the maunfacturer's promised performance came out. The new arrows were lighter, shot more accutately, and I picked up at least 25 fps and maybe a little kinetic energy. This is contrary to everything I thought about arrow weight for hunting, thinking heavier is better. Accuracy trumps penetration in my opinion.

If I were hunting thick skinned African game I'd be in a heavy arrow, but also armed with a bow that could throw it out properly.

Another thing is that you should check your measurements on the bow. Brace height, ata and timing marks if it has them. A while back I had a new string put on my sxt, made at gander mountain. String was too long by a half inch and pulled 8lbs short of maxed out poundage. That made a huge difference in performance.