• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PSE DNA bow

Scott K

I have the chance to get a good deal on a 2013 slightly used, fully set up DNA about a month old. What are your thoughts on this bow? Anyone have one? How does it shoot?

I havent shot PSE in many years, but I was offered good deel for my Spyder Turbo, in which I turned it down at first because none of the new bows are out yet this year, and there are very little good quality bows on the shelves right now. I didnt want to sit without one for a month or more. I was going to hold out until Mathews released their bows, but that is late November. Hoyt release their new bows on the end of October. SO I could sell my Spyder, and buy this DNA, but I dont want to be totally disappointed with it either. Thoughts?

I really like the DNA and its about the only thing I would trade in for right now.

I currently shoot the Xforce which is what the DNA is modeled after. I think its the most forgiving "speed" bow out there and it has been rated very high. I think you'll really like it. I know they have them at Cabin Fever if you want to shoot one first.

I would just shoot it and see what you think.

You are going to get many opinions, but in the end, its all about how it feels to you.

g00gle the reviews on it. Very highly touted bow.

I just bought my son a PSE Bow Madness this summer. It was a new non-current model. Awfully impressive bow. I shot PSE 20 years ago and faded away from them and hadn't really thought about them much since. After buying this one for my son, I told him I am going to look seriously at PSE next year for myself.

I own a DNA and it is AWESOME, best bow I have ever owned. Mine has custom strings from BREATHN and is tuned to perfection, mine is shooting 356 IBO. I just robin hooded one of my arrows at 60 yards a couple days ago shooting at my target.

That being said it depends on you. The cams are big and aggressive so it takes some strength to pull back and hold, there's not much for a valley or let off. It isn't as bad as some of the people say, at 70.4 lbs I can hold mine back for 5 minutes if I had to. You need solid form though and will need to hold back tight otherwise she wants to take off.

I'd jump on the chance to get it. If it's a little to aggressive for you, you can always just lower the pounds a bit. You can even set the draw mods up different so you get more valley and let off but you will lose a little FPS.

I really like my Hoyt, but it is getting old. I was offered more for it then I would get in trade for a new bow, which I was planning on getting this winter, early spring anyhow, most likely a new model Mathews. But this guy wants my bow now, and I dont want to go out and buy a new last years model bow now, and I dont want to go with out if I sell mine, and have to wait a month or 2. I am pretty sure I will sell mine, and buy the DNA, then if I dont like it, trade the DNA in when the new Mathews come out. Or, I might just decide to keep it if I like it. The deal has to go down tonight, if I choose to do it, or the DNA, will be sold to someone else Tomorrow.

I guess I just wanted to hear from people that own it, to tell me I will like it, or no I wont like it. Or just how it compared to my Hoyt Spyder.

He is Prostaff, and gets new ones all the time. He has several bows, and is just getting rid of them for the new models.

This thing is fully set up, and he just got it in August, and is asking $700 for it. I figured there has to be $1300 into it with the arrow rest, sites, and string stops. He sold me the stabilizer off it last week because my son needed one, so it doesnt come with a stabilizer. Plus, I know it is all set up right, well I would hope so.

One of the things I read about it was to replace the bearings with bushings, and to put on different strings, is there a reason for that?

I've never heard of replacing the bearings for bushings. Custom strings are just the way to go for any bow, the custom string makers do a much better job then the manufacturers.

The biggest thing to look for is the little pin in the draw mod can come loose, especially if it has been taken out and adjusted. If you hold the bow in your hand and give it a few shakes you'll actually hear if it's loose (bottom cam). If you don't hear anything no worries, but if you change the draw length you'll want to use blue loctite.

The people that can not hear it come loose have that little pin sheer off and wreck the mod, then you have to wait awhile to get the part and get it fixed. Mine has been fine so far but it's a known issue. It's pretty much a common practice to tighten stuff on your bow and check or listen to anything coming loose on a bow.

Do you ever go to Archery Talk? There is alot of DNA info on there, also a great spot to find some custom strings. You don't need custom though the normal ones will do just fine, maybe stick with those this season and get custom in the off season if you decide to keep it.

I have a pse dream season, picked up fully loaded for 400 buck 2011 modle. freakinf awesome, pushing 330fps ithink. the guy who sold it to me bought a DNA, I see their pushing 355 fps. thought mine was fast, we shot together an mine was slightly faster, figure his needs breaking time, mine was quieter to. absolutely dynamite bow, if I paid 40 hundred fully loaded for a rwo year old bow youd steal that for 7.

Yep, 6" brace height and 70% letoff. Shoots like a dream though especially for a speed bow. Soon as you hit your trigger the arrow hits the target right where you released.

I shoot it better then my single cam Mathews which was a 7" brace height and 80% let off.

You see that red slide? A guy on Archery Talk makes a machined roller slide for PSE bows, made out of 2 delrin rollers and stainless caps. They are supposed to make your draw smoother but thats debateable, but forsure they save on string and cables.

You can get one for like $35 shipped, I'll probably do it soon. I guess you just snap it off and snap the other one right back on.

You like the Skullworks? I went with Infinity camo but I kind of wish I went all black. I've been seeing some that look pretty sweet all blacked out. Oh well, the deer won't know the difference lol.

Let us know how she shoots.

FG, the skull bones is ok, not my favorite, but I didnt have a choice on it. I plan on shooting it this afternoon, and hunting it tonight. I plan on cranking it down a bit, he has it pretty much at max. With the aggressive cams, I am not sure I want it that high yet. I think it is at 67# now

Nice, make sure to pull them limb dampeners away from the cams every now and again, I noticed after shooting awhile they like to slip right toward the cams.

I see in your pic one of them is already down by the bottom cam, would suck to have your cam hit that when shooting at a big buck and mess the shot up.

I shot the bow, and it seems a little faster then my Hoyt. I did shoot some tight groups with it, so the bow shoots pretty decent. But I keep kissing my arm with the string, but that may be because the draw length may be a little longer, or maybe I am just having to hold a little tighter for the lack of a valley on the bow, and I am not bending my arm. But that is operator error, and I can work on that. I ended up with it set at 57 pounds, it was at 67, so I dropped it 10 pounds, and I didnt have to adjust the pins at all for 20, and 30 yards. I didnt shoot farther then that yet, but I will set those pins up this weekend. Although, I did have to move the pins sideways, I was shooting about 3 inches to far to the right. Anyhow, it is all ready to go for hunting tonight.

That's about what I figured for a brace height. My guess is that you will need to be awesome on your form because it will be a picky bow to shoot. That's why I sold my Hoyt,it was awesome on targets but if my form was off a little bit shooting in hunting scenarios my arrow was off.

But I keep kissing my arm with the string, but that may be because the draw length may be a little longer, or maybe I am just having to hold a little tighter for the lack of a valley on the bow, and I am not bending my arm. But that is operator error, and I can work on that.

This is one of the biggest problems many novice archers have - too long of a draw length. Sounds like that is exactly what you have. You'll never reach your shooting potential if you're stretching to achieve full draw. Drop that draw length back a half inch or more and you'll be much happier with the new purchase.