• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not tech related, but cool...

BoxMN

...Brought wife's friend and her daughter, who has spina bifida (sp?) (and some other health issues that make mobility tough) to cabin last weekend. She is wheelchair bound, but can "walk" several steps and swing her legs with some help. She was so excited when I told her we could go for an ATV ride if she wanted...

Her mom wasn't all too gung ho, but said sure if we could get her on the ATV. No problem! Got her on, slid on a helmet, and off we went down the logging trail! She is 20, and we both are a bit "un-skinny" wink but it worked great with her wedged in the rear bags. We hit some puddles (slow) and rock areas and stopped and took some pics overlooking the lake, and right before we got back, I hopped on the side behind her, slid her up a bit, and let her drive. I had one hand on throttle side and foot on brake but she drove us home fine and her mom got some pics of her driving.

It was really cool, she was happier than heck. Only second time she has been out of "home area" in 4 years, and after the ATV ride we hit the pontoon and soaked up a bit of sun. The ATV ride was the highlight of the weekend though, I think! ATV's can be tools, fun, and yes even some "therapy" for people of all abilities! cool

full-941-36878-image.jpg

You should have them check out capable partners they put on a ATV run up at the red top for the last 11 years. Polaris donates a bunch ( this year was 7 total ) of side by sides we serve up breakfast then hit the trails for a couple hours come back and eat some lunch and got back out. It truly a great time with a bunch of great people.

That is really cool Snowking! Looks like a great time for all!

Where is the "red Top"? I think our friend is a bit too frail to even make a day of it, but would great to learn more. I have helped with fishing outings before for different groups, but this was a first on ATV. Really a fun time sharing the experience with somebody not fortunate enough to go whenever they want.

full-23360-36892-img_20120709_131739.jpg

Hope no one cares if I change the topic a little but here is a pic of my special needs grand daughter driving my boat. No physical handicaps but mentally about 5 or 6 year old. Took me about 10 mins to convince her that she was able to drive but now she tells everyone who listens that she got to "Drive Gandpa's boat" Made the whole vacation special!!!

Box, Snowking and Hula,

Thanks to you for sharing the stories and pics. This is just fantastic. If anyone else has pics like this please share. Regardless if it's fishing, ATVs, boating, hunting. Don't matter.

Thanks again guys. Great thread.

I used to race quads in a series where a guy only had one leg and he could flat out haul the mail. He was faster than most of the people on the track including myself.

thanks for sharing your story hopefully that wont be the last time she gets to get out for ride. I really enjoy hearing these kinds of stories and its good for other people to hear that our sport can be enjoyable for a family.