• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse anyone

Hunted the opening weekend and last weekend near Aitkin. Bagged 2 on about 8 flushes in about 5 total hours of hunting on the opener. Hunted 3 hours this past Saturday, getting four flushes on two ruffs with no shots. On Sunday, bagged 5 on 15+ flushes. Not sure what was different on Sunday, but I can say that of the approximately 30 flushes I've gotten thus far, I can count on one hand the number that I'd have gotten without the lab. My theory is that the birds are buried in the thick stuff right now, but as the vegetation thins we'll see them move out to the trail edges.

Like a lot of the previous posters, I'm seeing a lot of woodcock and hares.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunted in that crappy weather yesterday. Hunted for about 4 hours and was drenched for 3.5 of them. I managed to move 12 or grouse and probably 15 WC. I had multiple WC points and multiple misses. I should have had my limit on WC. My younger setter handled a nice ruffie like a pro,. I held uop my end of the deal so I came home with 1 Grouse and 1 WC. Not the greatest day but I'll take it considering the conditions.I did take a change of clothes so I was dry for the ride home.

i have found grouse to hang around trails best very early and very late, once the sun comes up they usually head to thicker cover off trails a ways. i dont think you can legally hunt them too early or late before snow fall. Once snow is on the ground they seem stay roosted later and head to roost a little earlier.

The grouse I see from my deer stand tend to wake up in the tree about dawn and fly down just before sunrise. I have watched then fan out on tree limbs in the early morning - not unlike a gobbler.

In the evening most fly up at or before sunset.

Agree on really cold days (say 5 F or colder) they may stay roosted all morning especially if they are in balsams and can catch the suns rays. They feed aggressively from about 1-4 (dark is before 5)

Got up about a dozen birds yesterday in about 4 hours. All were 30 plus yards off the trails. I was hunting my young pup all day so there is still a learning curve. He had multiple solid points but I only managed two iffy shots. Birds kept getting up as I was making my way back into the thick stuff where the dog was locked up.

have any of you guys ever try those hunter walking trails. havent been out yet this year but i tried a couple last year and saw nothing. very new to grouse hunting. do you stay on trails or walk into the woods? any info would help.

Choco, You can zigzag back and forth on/off the trails. Most of them get pounded pretty hard. Do yourself a favor and pick up a land plat map for the county that shows tax forfiet land. You can hunt that usually alone. Hang in there, It took me a couple years to actually connect with the birds. I hunt dogless and slow, 5 steps then stop and listen. Once you find the preferred cover and food for your area it gets a little easier. Also when you get one check the crop to see what they have been feeding on It's a real eye opener. I look for wrist sized aspen thickets, big stands of dogwood bushes, choke cherries, alder, acorns, wild strawberry, raspberry, and clover on or near trails. I still learn stuff after all these 20+ years.

Good Luck,

Ferny.

WinnieWalleye -

Lots of great trails in the area for grouse in the Cass lake area, I will be up there chasing grouse around along with some other extended family for 4 days. Hoping to get my oldest son on a grouse or two this trip. Report back how you do.

Winniewalleye - I can give you a tip pertaining to your excellent choice of dog breed. Labs tend to hunt close, and they don't like to be left behind. There's also a tendency for a lot of dogs to stay on the trail, which is not where you want them. So when they go out into the bush and work an area, regardless of how far or for how long, make a point of stopping until they step back onto the trail. Let them see that you're going to give them all the time they want to sniff around. Once they have confidence that you're not going to proceed without them, they'll be more incented to spend time in the thick stuff.

One caveat - if they go out there and stay out, moving in the direction you're walking, stay with them. Don't let them get too far ahead of you. But don't worry about it if they go a long ways out perpindicular to the trail. They may flush birds that you won't see, but that's a bird you wouldn't have flushed anyway. No harm. And sometimes those birds fly your way.

My advice for newbies, as I was one once myself:

Easiest way to learn grouse hunting is to start walking trails. Yes they get a lot of traffic but you will still come across some birds. Like it was said above, if hunting without a dog go slow and stop every 10-15 steps. This makes the birds nervous when you stop because they think you are stalking them. If you walk continuously without stopping, they will feel safe and often let you pass by.

When you do flush a bird, take note on what type of cover where they were flushed. Pretty soon you will be able to identify cover that looks "grousy" and you will not have to hunt trails anymore if you don't want to.

When you do flush a grouse, follow it (if you missed). They never fly very far. Also, some times there is more than one grouse in the area.

You can stick to the trails and just identify the grousy areas and then go off trail into the woods. I did that this weekend and managed to flush 5 woodcock in 20 or 30 minutes. Woodcock are a bonus when grouse hunting. Also, lots of people are lazy and will hunt the trails only. So if you get off trail there should be birds.

Once you learn what cover is grousy, you will learn that the worst cover to hunt is the best cover for grouse and woodcock. Its usually thick cover. You will learn the infamous frustration of hearing a grouse flush when you are in the worst position, such as bent over trying to walk under or through branches....LOL.

Another piece of advice, don't bypass conifers. Especially if they border typical grouse cover. Birds will often roost and seek shelter in them.

My last piece of advice (from personal experience) grin, before heading off trail into the woods take note of what direction you are heading. Use a compass, GPS, or note what direction the sun is in. It is really easy to go chasing birds and all of a sudden you try to figure out what direction the trail is and you have no idea. Sure you may not be lost forever but it will save you that feeling of panic thinking you are lost and it will save you time and effort trying to get back out because the cover you are trekking through is not easy and it will wear you out.

Great day in the woods today. New GSP and my son's first hunt carrying a gun. We put up 14 grouse and 2 woodcock in 4 hours. Got the woodcock and 3 grouse. The dog was key, pushed several groups up that were a ways off the trail. Also found a wounded bird that I never would have found on my own. My son shot a woodcock and a grouse, you can't take the grin off his face (mine either). Feeling blessed.