• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.22lr for a CnC gun

I'm curious to know if anyone out there uses a .22lr as their conceal and carry gun? I'm well versed in pistols and know there are larger calibers, but am curious as to opinions on the .22lr specifically. Especially if you are profficient and use high grade ammo while carrying it.

Most things I've seen say .380 is the bare minimum for effective self defense. After that it drops off substantially even going down to .32 and again down to .25. The .22LR is not what I'd trust my family's life to.

Can it work in some cases? Sure, its a lethal round when placed perfectly. Would it work consistently and reliably under stress? VERY doubtful.

I personally have 7 different carry guns. 3 of them are 22s. I don't think there is any thing wrong with carrying a 22. Any gun is better than no gun. Carry what is comfortable to you. Correct me if I'm wrong but some states have a minimum caliber that is legal to carry but in Mn a 22 is OK to carry.

Ditto lightning. And contrary to what others say, it is not better than nothing. The second you pull a gun, you're escalating the situation. When you pull your gun, you need to end the conflict NOW. You don't have time to put 5-6 rounds in a bad guy or hope for a well-placed shot. Do yourself a favor & get a 9mm if you're looking for a easy recoiling ccw. Buy some top-shelf self defense rounds. Hopefully you'll never have to use it, but if you do, you'll thank me. smile

Just a question along the same line. Never owning revolvers until recently, I am curious why more people, especially women, don't consider them for CnC. They are simple to use, never jam/ shovepipe, no safeties to mess with, simple to aim and shoot, and can be much more compact than semi-autos in the larger calibers.

I am curious why more people, especially women, don't consider them for CnC.

The aren't as "cool".

Also they are generally more expensive. At least for a nice one. Not sure if Kel-Tec or Hi-Point are in the revolver business, so you might have to fork over more than $150.

Just a question along the same line. Never owning revolvers until recently, I am curious why more people, especially women, don't consider them for CnC. They are simple to use, never jam/ shovepipe, no safeties to mess with, simple to aim and shoot, and can be much more compact than semi-autos in the larger calibers.

Revos are great BUT it takes some doing to shoot both accurately and quickly with a DA revo, particularly a snubbie.

But yes, in competent hands, revos can certainly do the job. That's true of any hardware though, isn't it?

I won't carry a .22 LR because of reliability issues. Rimfire ammo misfires too much IMHO. Good stuff, like CCI mini-mags are generally reliable but I'm happier with CF ammo in general.

The carry gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. smile

I dont know if I'd consider them "more compact". They maybe smaller in certain directions, but in my opinion, a semi can be flatter, which is what I'm looking for. compare carrying a deck of cards to a golf ball. The golf ball might be smaller, but sticks out a lot more.

You mean it takes practice to get proficient at shooting a DA revolver? I agree with that, but that applies to all handguns, including a pocket carry semi-auto Kel Tec 9mm. My snubbie .38 revolver is DAO, so it's point and pull the trigger. Nothing hard about it. But, I still need to have range time with it. Also, I do not carry a .22 LR handgun for my EDC gun. Not enough quick stopping power for my liking.