• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trying to find confidence again

Been shooting all year long including league over the winter and since my little accident with a broken arrow and the HeliM coming unstrung.

I have a severe trust issue with everything now, the arrows, the release and my anchor point.

Last week I was tossing darts again and I thought I was pretty close in shooting including a Robin Hood.

Then I seem to fling a few way off target.

Any ideas to help a fellow archer out to get back in the groove?

Turkey Season starts next Tuesday for the wife and I and I don't want to fling an arrow way off its mark when/if the opportunity presents itself.

I think this is pretty common after something like you had. My suggestion is twofold: repitition and basics. I'd start and end every shooting session with five arrows at close range with your eyes closed- perfect form, slow pressure on the release, surprise shot. Focus on form and "let the shot happen". Do that and keep doing it and I'd guess you'll be fine after you repeat a few thousand times... winklaugh

Clinical psychologists would have you talk about your experience over and over and over again.

Behavioral psychologists would have you shoot and shoot and shoot.

Both kinds of mental "rehab" should offer pathways to finding trust in your equipment again.

I think this is pretty common after something like you had. My suggestion is twofold: repitition and basics. I'd start and end every shooting session with five arrows at close range with your eyes closed- perfect form, slow pressure on the release, surprise shot. Focus on form and "let the shot happen". Do that and keep doing it and I'd guess you'll be fine after you repeat a few thousand times... winklaugh

+1 for Scoot,I will also add a lower poundage bow will keep the flinching down. I had a similar problem and got over it shooting at a huge bale 5 yards away eyes close and a 30# bow. It sounds crazy but it will work. Just concentrate on anchor and a slow squeeze and the rest with come together.

These guys know what they're talking about. Follow their advice and gain your confidence back. That's the number one thing to success when shooting at animals imo. If you have any consistent 'fliers' in the group, make sure they don't find a way into your quiver. When that gobbler comes in, don't rush the shot. Take your time & he'll be in big trouble! Good luck to you & your wife!

Get some nice heavy aluminum arrows and shoot with confidence. Not only will you have fun building the arrows, you might be surprised by how nice and quiet everything is. Heck a dozen Gamegetter shafts cost my buddy $40. A cheap investment to get you back on track. Switch back to carbon if you want after you gain back your confidence.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Heading out tomorrow now matter how much darn precipitation is falling, I really want to head to Henderson on Sunday if I can get somewhat comfortable.

Really like the short closed eyed shooting, going with that first.

Wife said no to the target in the house already. Told her it was going to be real close shooting anyways.

Closed eye and close range shooting started the recovery very well today, not that I am there yet, but feels so much better.

I went back and did some normal shooting after that and it seemed better.

Even while shooting longer ranges I was doing my drawing and holding with my eyes closed, then opened them up and everything was aligned and felt good.

All great advice from everyone of you and that is just another reason why this site really is #1.

Rippinlip- If you look at it from a motor learning standpoint. What you should do is to practice, "practice variability" what i mean is never shoot from the same distance. shoot from standing, sitting, and kneeling position. Hold your draw for 10 sec, 20 sec, 30, sec. Shoot a big and small targets. another words.... your taking a closed skill, and making it an open skill. Changing the regulatory and non-regulatory conditions. In the long run it will improve your shooting. At first you wont shoot very well. but over time it will give you confidence and a motor program to draw from when that big boy walks by this fall!!!!