• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullet loaded arrowheads?

I've seen these advertised recently and frankly, I'm struggling to get my mind around the point (no pun intended)?

I can't help but ask, if I need to have the knockdown power of a bullet for whatever game I'm hunting, why wouldn't I simply use a gun to begin with? And if I can't use a gun, cause it's not an open firearm season, then is it still okay to use a projectile that's essentially a bullet?

I'd also have to wonder how legal these might be in many situations? I mean, how do explain the bullet hole and powder burns in the entry wound of the animal I just harvested with my bow and arrow? crazy

Please explain what I'm missing here?

Yea. That's what they show them being used on in the commercial, but again, if you need the knockdown power of a bullet, why not just use a gun in the first place? More power, more accuracy at a greater range.

Don't get me wrong here. I think shooting game with a bow and arrow is a great way to hunt. I'm just struggling to see the value here.

Someone had to put a fair amount of $$$ into research and development, production and marketing of this idea, and I just don't see it flying. I'd think at some point somebody would have said, "Hey, ya' know what, I don't think this is too good an idea!" I just don't see a reasonable application.

Sorry if this one was brought up before. I looked back in the Archery thread, but not very far.

i wonder how much knockdown power is lost.

Doesn't the bullet need compression in the barrel?

I know from an not very bright friend, that if you throw a shotgun shell in a fire and it cooks off, the shot stays and the shell flies. don't try at home.

I'm telling you guys, any design team, or ballistics engineer worth his salt would've taken one look at this thing and said, "Big expense, bad idea". "Where and why would you EVER use this?"

Good question Bobby. Without lateral support to the bullet casing one would have to even wonder about shrapnel upon impact? Does the arrow sustain any damage? As was also mentioned about a shotgun shell in the fire...does the arrow get launched backward upon report of said shell/bullet?

The answer to the above questions would almost certainly have to be, No, No, and No, or this idea would've tanked almost immediately.

Might be kinda fun to let one of these fly at the range though, unannounced to everyone else there! shocked I'm gonna take the woodchuck on the left....thump...BOOOM!

The laws of physics are clear: "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

If you are sending a bullet in one direction, there needs to be an equal force going in the opposite. My guess... the arrow shaft has to come back the way it came. More than likely deformed or damaged.

The bullet on the other hand, can not have much umph. Reason being there is nothing for the bullet to act against, Like a soulder or the heavy weight of a gun. Without that presure having something to act against, the bullet will not have much directional force.

Bad Bad Idea.... eek

lol, no a rifle... kinda like black powder but shove a 2219 shaft down the barrel. a crossbow has zero resemblance to a rifle cept the trigger. laugh

search Airrow Rimfire....

They are out there. They use a .22 blank firing ruger 10/22 to fire arrow shafts...

Reason being there is nothing for the bullet to act against, Like a soulder or the heavy weight of a gun.

i think it has more to do with the exploding gases having no where to go but behind the bullet, pushing it down the barrel.

In a gun, outside of the bit of gas that leaks out of the breech, all that exploding powder is concentrated behind that bullet until leaves the barrel. in the arrow thing, once the bullet leaves the casing that exploding powder and gases aren't concentrated.

I think if you compared penetration in ballistics gel, you'd see a big difference. I'd like to see it.

on a side note, when I was a kid, we used to unscrew the field tips off arrows and stick a bottle rocket in the end. Then you'd draw back the old long bow, point it at the sky, and have a friend light the bottle rocket. Those things would be ionospheric before they popped. Oh man, I miss fireworks legal states.