• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I've decided to buy another .22LR pistol, any recommendations, I'm kind of in between the Sig Sauer Mosquito, or the Sig Sauer 1911-22. I like both of these looks. I know the Browning Buckmark and Ruger mark 3 are good guns, but already have them. So those recommendations are out of the questions. But if there is any input with the Sig Sauer Mosquito, or the Sig Sauer 1911-22 it would be appreciated.

I had a Sig Mosquito for years, and it never ran right. I had FTE's, and /or FTF's constantly, while shooting it. Tried just about every kind of 22lr ammo I could get, and it wasn't necessarily an ammo problem. Federal Match 22lr ammo worked the best, but still had problems using the match ammo. I cleaned the gun religiously, and that didn't help either. I read elsewhere about available parts from Sig to possibly fix the issues at hand. The added expense plus being frustrated with the gun with no guarantees it would run right after installing different parts, pushed me to trade it for something else. I would go with the 1911 series 22lr, or get either a Browning Buckmark, or Ruger Mark series 22lr.

My brother owns a colt 1911 frame 22 and I have it now for somew sight work and it really feels nice in the hands,but I have yet to pull the trigger on it. Its one of those fears of I have to have it once I shoot it.

I have a buckmark and a markIII. love them both. Have shot the beretta neo, shot well, but ugly as sin. Have heard not so great things about the mosquito but have no personal experience. Have shot a few of the sig 1911-22'. pretty nice, same feel as a real 1911. the finish leaves a bit to be desired though. This gun is actually made by GSG for sig. You can buy the GSG cheaper. It does have a uncomfortable beavertail grip safety and somewhat of a small hammer which can make it rather awkward to cock the hammer. Search "chuck hawk sig sauer 1911-22. he did a detailed review on it and mentions this as well. either way, the 1911-22 would be my choice since you already have a buckmark and ruger markIII.

Like others have said stay away from the mosquito. I wanted one bad until I did research on them. They look great and feel good in the hand but have major probs cycling through rounds. The last gun shop I was at stopped selling them because of all the customer complaints.

If I were looking for a pistol now I would go with the Ruger SR22. You could also consider a handgun such as the S&W 617 revolver, or a used K-22. I enjoy shooting my 617. It is very accurate, absolutely reliable and holds 10 rounds of everything from CBs to LR. It is the same dimensions, action and trigger as my 686 so it is perfect for practice. It is my woods carry gun with Aquila Super Colibri for opportunities that may present to pot grouse and snowshoe hare while deer hunting.

There have been problems with the Mosquito, as said. Don't have any experience with the 1911-22, but I have a Sig P220 with the factory .22 conversion that has a very good trigger and is accurate. The advantage of going with the P220 is that it can be converted to .45 ACP. I believe there are some other Sig models that offer .22/9 mm or .22/.40 cal options as well.

Another really nice one if you can find one is the Beretta Cheetah. But it's pricey..

P220 is a great gun especially with the 22lr conversion. Have you felt a walther p22? Kind of the same type of style as the mosquito, but a bit slimmer. I know alot of customers while at cabelas loved em. I have only ever shot one, a friends, but it did feel and shoot nice.

I have a SW 22A. Decent gun overall, but does tend to misfire at least a couple times every time we go out with it. Not sure if its the firing pin not hitting properly or bad ammo causing it. I have shot any brand of shells I can find for it, and has done it pretty much every time out, so I wouldnt think its the ammo, but who knows....

Quote:
I have a SW 22A. Decent gun overall, but does tend to misfire at least a couple times every time we go out with it. Not sure if its the firing pin not hitting properly or bad ammo causing it. I have shot any brand of shells I can find for it, and has done it pretty much every time out, so I wouldnt think its the ammo, but who knows....

Some of the .22 semi-autos will cycle high velocity ammo just fine, but will jam and misfire on regular .22 standard velocity.

I have both a Walther P22 (from around 02' or 03') and a Ruger MK II. Love them both, I love my Walther, it is rather well made and a great gun. Consider now that S&W owns Walther so you are going to get some different factories building them. But I would definitely buy it again if given the option.

I have the M&P and I'm not a fan. Worst gun I've owned and enough others share the same problems I have with it to know that mine isn't a lemon. I bought it last year and will be working with it more this year to try to figure out what the source of the problem is. One thing I'd like to try is a different magazine but they are almost impossible to find and the price is absurd.

I'd stay away from this one.

i didn't even know there was a M&P 22.

I have a mark III with a bull barrel. I like it and it's super accurate.

It does occassionally jam up on unjacketed bulk ammo that comes in the gray bucket. It does better with jacketed bullets. The jams aren't frequent enough for me not to run that cheap stuff through there if I'm just shooting pop cans by the woodpile though.

What kind of issues were you having? Also, what kind of ammo were you shooting?

I've put about 300 rounds through mine and have had no FTF or FTE. I've been using Federal 36 GR copper jacket hollow points.

Just curious.

I started off using Winchester bulk HP in the white box and it will FTE the first round 9/10 times. After racking the slide and loading the next round it will run through the rest of the magazine like butter for the most part. I cannot understand why it happens only on the first round other than to blame the full magazine and is why I'd like to get another to verify this theory. The gun only comes with one magazine which is kind of a crock also.

Federal bulk? Forget about it. It chokes on that stuff so bad it isn't even funny. Failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject, stove piping...you name it, it does it all the way through the magazine. It was so bad it was comical.

I bought some CCI but didn't get a chance to try it before winter hit. I was so disgusted with the MP I really wasn't excited to run back to the range anytime soon.

From what I've read others have similar, if not the same, issues with their MP while others don't have a problem at all. I guess if you're a gambling man and want to roll the dice on getting a good one then go for it. It's a sweet little package that is fun to shoot...when it actually shoots.

If you really want to have some fun pick up a M&P 15-22. smile

if you own a 1911 already have you looked into the MARVEL unit 1 kit? its a conversion for any 1911 to shoot 22lr and when it comes down to accuracy? I nailed a glass bottle at around 70 yards one shot with a scope on the set up. only issue is feeding and jam issues either or it can be anything I heard people had to "break" in the system or it shoots flawlessly right out of the box otherwise Id say its the best set up without a luger type look. just something to think about research it!

I bought some CCI but didn't get a chance to try it before winter hit. I was so disgusted with the MP I really wasn't excited to run back to the range anytime soon.

So I took a trip to the range to try out some new hardware and brought the M&P 22 with to continue diagnosing why it's been pretty much a turd for me. Loaded up the magazine with CCI AR-Tactical 40 gr round nose and the only hiccup was a failure to hold open on the last shot. Hmmm. Loaded up once again and it ran right through the mag like a sewing machine. Magazine after magazine it just clicked right along. It was actually pleasant to shoot this gun for a change!

Unfortunately I didn't grab a box of WWB so I couldn't try a magazine of that to see if the problem of the first round hanging flared up again. It sure didn't have a problem with CCI. If this is truly related to the type of ammo then WWB and Federal Bulk won't be an option with this gun. Next time I'll make a point to bring WWB with to do a little better testing.

Have you ever considered getting a revolver? The S&W 617 was mentioned and that's a great gun. I grew up shooting my Dad's S&W model 17 (made in the 30's) and while I've owned a couple of semi autos, I've always found revolvers to be more reliable and prefer them. For a double action revolver you can't beat S&W. You will not experience the problems listed above.