• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

Buck, by your logic Ponder may as well have 3 practice squad turds at WR on the field bouncing balls off their chests because he sucks anyway. The man needs some help out there for cryin' out loud.

Its time to get a professional recieving corps on the field. Ponder will be out of excuses then.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juice...PONDER SUCKS...period!! Wouldn't matter who you put on the field with him.

I believe Hester was a DB coming out of college...

Without signing Jennings...where are you going to get your #1 WR? All the remaining FA's and draft guys are all basically #2 and #3's.

If you haven't noticed...this team needs #2 and #3 receivers badly...anything would be an upgrade over Jenkins and Aromatherapy!

We've been getting #3s and very questionable #2s forever. Don't you think it's time to change that mentality? Hasn't it proved failure? I guess go out and do it again, we'll see a different result. Lets waste some more money on a Carlson like signing.

I agree with that. The problem with this year is there were/are no real good choices. Wallace and Jennings being the top 2 guys...yuck, really.

Alexander would be a good signing going forward...big upside for probably less than Carlson $$$.

Darius Heyward Bey might be an option...line him up on the outside and just tell him to RUN!! He could keep a safety off the LOS.

I still think Slick Rick has 2 potential starters pegged in the draft...it would be nice to bring in at least two FA's who have some experience.

Carlson took a big pay cut today. Down to 1.2 from 4 million. I am guessing this is his last chance to prove he belongs in the NFL. Like other big FAs Carlson was once thought of to have huge upside, just like Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings. But, injuries have plauged him throughout his career. If he doesnt vastly improve this year he will be gone. And I even think it is possible they cut him during the season.

And juicehead tell me who you would get to be our 1,2,and 3 recievers for next year.

Good #1 WR dont grow on trees, and teams release them about as much as franchise QB's. Jennings, and Wallace were good #2 WR's, but on our team they could easily over take #1 spot. That doesnt make them worth 10 million+. I think we pick up a few #2, and 3 receivers, draft best available in the first round, then hope for the best this year. This team haas way to many holes to be trying to buy a championship, especially with over spending to get a mediocore at best #1 receiver.

I think we pick up a few #2, and 3 receivers, draft best available in the first round, then hope for the best this year. This team haas way to many holes to be trying to buy a championship, especially with over spending to get a mediocore at best #1 receiver.

+1.

Did you guys see the press conference with Harvin. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Vikings and that respect goes both ways. Coach Frasier and I are very close friends so that had nothing to do with it either". Lol Man this kid is full of $hit.

They're worth what ever somebody pays them. They are both solid and reliable WRs and that is what we have lacked forever. They got to be the best #2s in the league if they arent #1s. Calling these guys mediocre is a bit of a stretch. GB is WR loaded, and its more a system now than before, yeah the WRs they have are good but they are loaded with guys that can catch a pass. They dont nessesarity need Jennings anymore. They need the cap space to pick up a good O lineman and are in the hunt for Jackson. That doesnt mean they are throwing him away because hes no good. It would be nice to see him in purple.

And this team doesnt have a lot of holes, there are only a few. We were a playoff team with no passing game. The few holes we have are big.

Carlson was an idiotic signing from the start last year, just like chong simpson. Im telling you guys, if this team goes into the season with two rookies from the draft, Jarius Wright and Chong at WR they are taking a big step back. Their recieving corps will be WORSE then last year... how is that even possible?

I love how everyone says "this team isnt a super bowl contender anyway" so we should do NOTHING in FA. you guys make ZERO sense. apparently 10-6 and making the playoffs didnt happen last year and we should just take a step back and lose this year. Its hilarious, it really is.

Tell that to Adrain Peterson. Go run out there agianst 10 in the box and get your a$$ kicked all season long cuz we dont wanna pay for a professional wide reciever to take some heat off. We have been aweful at the WR position since Sid Rice and Percy were together for 1 year. its time to fix it

They're worth what ever somebody pays them. They are both solid and reliable WRs and that is what we have lacked forever. They got to be the best #2s in the league if they arent #1s. Calling these guys mediocre is a bit of a stretch. GB is WR loaded, and its more a system now than before, yeah the WRs they have are good but they are loaded with guys that can catch a pass. They dont nessesarity need Jennings anymore. They need the cap space to pick up a good O lineman and are in the hunt for Jackson. That doesnt mean they are throwing him away because hes no good. It would be nice to see him in purple.

And this team doesnt have a lot of holes, there are only a few. We were a playoff team with no passing game. The few holes we have are big.

Did you ever think maybe some of Jennings, and Wallace's goodness may come from their Qb's? If you think for a minute, either of these WR are going to produce anything near what they did with Ponder throwing them the ball, compared to Rodgers, and Roethlisberger, then your nutz!

Juice...PONDER SUCKS...period!! Wouldn't matter who you put on the field with him.

Ponder is a serviceable quarterback. Is he Rogers, Brady or Manning? Remains to be seen, but most likely no. Remember, those guys didnt light the NFL up in their first years. Rogers spent what 3 years riding the pine behind Favre. Manning set a rookie record I believe for interceptions, etc.

BUT, they have now proven to be winners. Which has yet to be determined with Ponder.

I would say its a stretch to expect similar career from Ponder, but I do think with a running attack we have, we can go a long ways with him.

Having said that, how does Matt Flynn look? Didnt he look like a world beater in GB with their receiving options? Throwing up more yards, TDs and points than Rogers in an obvious cakewalk game?

Look what happened to him, he got beat out by a 3rd round pick.

So, having receiving options AND a system that has routes where receivers actually get open can make a QB look really good.

It sure would be nice to have Wallace or Jennings, but the money they are demanding is ridiculous. Neither is even close to worth over $10 mill. We have a lot of young guys that need to be paid in the coming years, and can't get bogged down investing in those guys. I'd like to see them pick up a couple decent FA wr (Alexander, DHB, etc...) and draft a wr in the 1st and 2nd. Then pick up a lb with that other 1st round pick (Arthur Brown preferably).

Basically what everyone is saying is we should sign nobody unless you have a QB like brady, manning or rodgers. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL. ZERO.

"our qb sucks, so who cares whos catching balls from him. he doesnt derserve anyone good"

Laughable

Basically what everyone is saying is we should sign nobody unless you have a QB like brady, manning or rodgers. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL. ZERO.

"our qb sucks, so who cares whos catching balls from him. he doesnt derserve anyone good"

Laughable

Not at all, we are trying to say, lets not over spend, and pay top dollar for a WR that isnt worth half of what they are demanding, and hurt the team for years in the future.

Quote:
Ravens released SS Bernard Pollard.

The purge continues in Baltimore. The hard-hitting Pollard had a $3.25 million cap figure and a $500K roster bonus in 2013, but was a core piece of the defense and is just 28 years old. The Super Bowl Champs have now lost a stunning six starters off their 2012 defense. Perhaps they're preparing to make an offer to retain Ed Reed. Pollard will not hurt for suitors after racking up 98 tackles, two sacks, one interception and six pass breakups in 13 starts a year ago.

This would shore up our backfield. But we have bigger needs. But it would be nice to have a solid backfield for once, rather then watching other teams pass at will on us.

You are obviously missing the point in obtaining a threat at WR. Taking pressure off the run game is way bigger than you can comprehend. Also your ability to understand how an offense runs is lacking big time. Football is a game of chess, if you have a queen sitting there is a threat. If the queen is off the board and not in the game then where is the threat? Bottom line is Jennings has a way better skill set than anybody we have and he has proven that. He can run a route and catch a pass with consistency, we dont have anybody like that. We need targets that attract attention, no matter whos is throwing the ball.

I know the importance of a good receiver, it would help our offense a quite a bit, but I do not think we should over spend for one either. If this were MLB, and money wasnt an option, by all means, bring both of them in. It isnt though, we have a budget to stick to, and the team cant just print more, like the govt does.

I wouldnt have any problem if the Vikings picked up either of them, but I understand why they are not going to over spend on either of them as well. Our best bet to get a #1 WR, or a franchise QB, is in the draft, not over paying for a good WR, and hoping he becomes great, with our below average QB. Since both of them receivers were barely above average for a #1 receiver, with top 5 QB throwing to them.

Rodgers maybe the best QB to play the game, ever, and Jennings was just barely above average for a receiver.

Lets not forget, the FA just started yesterday. There will be many more decent WR to be had. We can also make a trade for one as well. The offseason is not overwith because we didnt overpay on the top 2 WR within the first 24 hours of FA.

I realize its not over yet, but just listening to Spielman yesterday you can tell- The man thinks he knows all! He had 1 good draft and now he thinks he can fix everything. Hes not going after a FA unless its a Chong Simpson type who he think hes getting a steal on. (even though hes dumpster juice) Hes not going to sign anyone good. He will outsmart himself.

But we're not super bowl contenders anyway, right? We shouldnt even try. Our QB sucks, lets just regress.

And just wait- After Ponder sucks this year we will hear "oh he didnt have anyone to throw to but some rookies. they need to develop together. christian is our guy and he needs another year."

It sure would be nice to have Wallace or Jennings, but the money they are demanding is ridiculous.

That's the problem. I'd like all these players too but that's BEFORE you hear about what kind of money they want. Once you hear how much they want it's laughable.

So what sign one of these OVERPAID tools and be done for the year ready to rock and roll and win it all? No need to resign anyone that's already on the team or fill any other holes. We got one of the best FA WR's in football this year. Man oh man that would be AWESOME! Until they get double covered every game because we have nothing else.

I think people forget that both Wallace and Jennings had QB's that extended plays for sick amounts of time while these guys ran free to be open. Ponder is not going to throw anyone open, and he's not going to run around to buy time then throw it 60 yards down field.

I'm sure everyone agrees we need a real #1 WR, but why overpay? Just to say we have one? We also need a real #1 CB, and a couple real LB's.

Wallace is gone and Jennings doesn't want to play here, time to move on.

We had WR issues LAST year and tried to fix it through Spielmans drafting. We took 2 wr's. Somebody remind me how that worked?

I really liked what Wright brought last year, and I would like to see more of him. Childs? He may fill our #3, or #4 spot, but hey, someone needs too, and he is cheap. Summers is a big guy, and with a little experience, could end up with a starting role as well. I agree though, none of them are number 1 options, but they may turn into the next Harvin, or a Jake Reed type player.

So what sign one of these OVERPAID tools and be done for the year ready to rock and roll and win it all? No need to resign anyone that's already on the team or fill any other holes. We got one of the best FA WR's in football this year. Man oh man that would be AWESOME! Until they get double covered every game because we have nothing else.

I guess we should overpay 2 #2-#3 WRs like we have been. Id rather take both the salaries and pay Jennings. Id take the double coverage on one side with a decent threat on the other rather than 2-3 guys that get single covered and cant get open and run terrible routes.