• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Semi-Auto should I buy

Anybody have any suggestions as to which shotgun I should buy. I currently have a two year old Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag that I am very disatisfied with. The first box I shot through it I had problems. It would not eject the used shell. Two gunsmiths later, 3 months of downtime, and about $100 of repair money down the tubes. My Dad told me not to run out and buy a "cheap" gun when I graduated college and got my first job. I guess father know best. Anyway, I am in the market for a semi-auto with a 3 1/2 chamber. I am not partial to any. My dad has a Browning Gold that he bought last year and my buddy has a Winchester that he bought last year. I like both of them, but there are a lot of others out there. Any imput would be very helpful. Thanks,
Bushwacker

My buddy has a Gold Hunter, my wife uses one too. Lots of parts in these Browings can mean trouble in the field.

I love my Benelli, 7 parts and she's ready for complete cleaning, no jams, period.

I also love my 1187 Remington.

------------------
Chells

I like my 11-87 SuperMag! Shoots the 3.5" shells with very light recoil which helps my shooting. Went trap shooting and shot all the 1oz. shells with no problem. This is my second 11-87, the first was bought in 1988 and this gun shoots sweet! grin.gif

A buddy and I have both been trying to decide between Benelli, Beretta and Browning. The difference between Benelli vs. Beretta, Browning, etc is the "inertia" vs. gas system. The inertia/Benelli will be easier to clean but may kick a little more. The Beretta's/Browning's will kick a lttle less but have more parts to clean. With all of the research we've both done, it all comes down to feel. What feels best in your hands, what sight line you like best, weight, etc. Myself, I can't decide between a 12 ga/26" Benelli Montefeltro, Beretta Urika and a Browning Fusion. All very nice, but a difficult, but fun upcoming choice. You also can't go wrong with the Winchester Super X and possibly the Remington 1100 or 11-87 (not too familiar with).

Good luck!

i shoot a Benelli Montefeltro in 12 ga. It cycles the lightest loads ( 7/8 oz ) is the lightest i can find. MIne came with a 24 inch barrel and it fits me just right. I've seen some Browning try the same loads and they become a single shot they wouldnt even open the action. I wanted a semi auto that will cycle anything and so far it does. I have a 870 also but the Benelli gets the most use. I did have a chance to buy a year old Benelli SBE for 800 $ but I dint have the funds at the time. Otherwise you are looking at around 1000$ or so. I seen 925$ was the best I seen for the SBE. Hope you find what you are looking for. If you know anyone who has a gun that interests you ask them to try it out and see if you like it. Hope this helps Brian

I had a Beretta and just could not get used to it. The gun cycled shells fine until it got a little dirty(duck hunting dirty). I also had the same problems with a Mossberg Ulti-mag. I sold that son of a *****. I traded my Beretta (Silver Mallard) in for a Winchester Super-x2. It had rave reviews so I broke down and bought one. What a nice gun. I was told that most of the gun was made by Browning in Belgium. Basically a Browning Gold but with a few of Winchesters Ideas also. I have had it for 2 years now and love it. It cycles small loads no prob. My father has a new Rem 1187 Premier and it is a great gun,too,but it is not near the gun that the x2 is. One push and twist on the bolt handle and I can disassemble the entire bolt from the receiver. The trigger assembly is also easily removed and cleaned in the field. It was a tough choice between the Browning Gold and the Winchester Superx2 for me. Good luck.

I was trying to decide with the ones mentioned as well,
Rem. 1187
Winchester SuperX
Browning Gold
Benelli M-1.

I went and felt them all out, HEH!
and found the Benelli fit me the best.
great swing, balance and light weight.

but their all real nice and have pretty good track records from what I've read, so I would just go with the one that feels the best and dont worry about it, if its a couple hundred more, just lay it away like I did

I really like my Super Black Eagle. I have had it now for two seasons and have had no trouble with it. For me I could also get it in left handed model and camo which was important. It is so easy to take apart and clean and has been bulletproof for two years of hard use duck and pheasant hunting. Just my two cents...

chow

don't get another one. Get a pump. then you won't have $100 repair bills.

I could never figure out why people bring 3 guns hunting with them, but I do now. They own semi-auto's. Seriously, what's wrong with a pump? More reliable, and I bet I can fire off three rounds in the same amount of time.

Buy whatever one FITS and feels right. Auto's do require more maintenance, you should not just clean then up a little and expect it to function flawlessly. With a little care, you can expect any of the major brands to last a very long time.

big-fish-guy,

I bought my auto about 5 years ago when I cut a tendon in my finger on my left hand. I couldn't operate the pump very well on my Ithaca 37. I thought I'd buy an auto for the season and sell it the following. Boy, was I wrong!! I ended up with a beretta AL 390 and fell in love. It fit me way better than the pump, was almost as light and it didn't kick like a mule. Like I posted above, it does require more maintence, but I still only bring one gun when hunting.

[This message has been edited by MNice (edited 08-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MNice (edited 08-15-2003).]

I own a Browning Gold and it hasnt jammed once in 2 years of hunting and trap shooting, but i do know some guys that have had problems with these guns. If i were to buy a new gun I would get a Beretta Xtrema, it will shoot anything you want and has shims to help you get the fit just right.

Tom

I own a Beretta AL390 with a 26" barrel and have never had a problem with it. I have friends who own all the diff. makes and the only ones who seem to have problems are the guys with 11-87s (keep orings on hand) and the benneli super black eagle, when it gets really cold it jams . hope this helps
semi-auto is the way to go they feel better and its easier to stay on the birds.

I broke down and went with the Browning Gold 3 1/2. I got a good deal on it and it is a great gun. Took it out shooting clays last night and have never shot so well. Doubles with ease. Thank you all very much for your very useful advise.
Thanks,
Bushwacker

Good choice on the Browning Gold. I have an older model 3" and I love it. I am a big guy and it fits me really well. Big upgrade from a remington 870 express. Semi-Autos are so much better than pumps. More upkeep and possibility of things going wrong but boy can you shoot fast. Hope you enjoy it.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Cabelas in Owatonna is having a Hunting and Fall Sale Aug 22-24. If you want to look at guns or other hunting gear/clothing/dog supplies, they usually have some pretty good deals you don't see in the catalog or online.

I believe all the guns you're talking about here are going to be there.

If you do check out the sale, be sure to stop in Medford (3 miles north of Cabelas)and check out the Road King Fish House.

It's the 1st place on the right as you head into medford...very close to the freeway.

Autos are nice, but I like to shoot a pump. Always reliable and I dont even realize that I'm pumping the action, it's like reflex action. It happens with zero effort. To me a pump shoots as fast and as well as an auto in the field. Shooting range maybe a little different, I'd take the auto. I own both.

An 870 Wingmaster is the way to go. It will never jam unless you are too weak to cycle the forearm. You can dump a pail of sand in it and it will still shoot all three shells.

My dad has been a gunsmith for 40 years now. When I first started hunting he used to use a auto for ducks/geese. One year we went to Lac Qui Parle and his beloved autoloader became a single shot 10 minutes after it came out of the case. I was shooting a 20 ga pump at the time (by the way this was 26 yrs ago when you could still shoot lead) and he got so frustrated with the autoloader he made me switch with him. I didn't care at the time because I was 12 yrs old and I was shooting a 12ga!! Anyway he sold all of his autoloaders before the next year and now either shoots over/unders or pumps.

Autoloaders are nice to shoot but if you don't know how to take them apart and clean them then don't get one. A dirty autoloader is my book is a nice single shot...