• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow Goose 2013

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one know how far the snow line is at. Looking to hunt around Madison or north with some of the young kids coming up the next couple weekends. Any help would be great. How's the gravel roads this year,last we hunted around Sand lake last year and they were horrible some totally missing and some impassable. Thanks

Check out the snow line from NOAA.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/im...05_National.jpg

With the current weather and the cold forecast for this week into next week, looks like the snow line will be sticking around for awhile unless the forecast changes.

I think the end of March you could start hunting geese across South Dakota!

I have seen a few snows in the Brookings area while out ice fishing, but by no means a huntable population. Some gravel roads are in pretty tough shape around here after the inch or so of rain we got Friday into Saturday, but thing can change by the time the geese arrive.

Creepworm thanks. Will be out in the area the next 3 weekends,Staying in lake Preston have family around Arlington. Hope to see some and get under some too with the boys. Keep me up dated. Thanks.

Camera at Huron airport shows snow on the ground. High of 40 predicted today. Nothing in the 10 day forecast above 27 with 5 chances of snow and 2 small windows of SE winds. You might stumble onto a few scout flocks that far north but sounds like a "wild goose" chase to me along hwy 14.

Nothing above freezing in the 10 day for our camp. Hearing some speculation that the snow line may funnel the geese west to the Missourri to get north. Hope the juvies don't follow. Might be a bust this year.

Nothing above freezing in the 10 day for our camp. Hearing some speculation that the snow line may funnel the geese west to the Missourri to get north. Hope the juvies don't follow. Might be a bust this year.

I was actually just thinking about that, honestly. Those snows are stacking up around Sioux Falls. They certainly can't travel straight north with the snow pack we have. But it's high and dry to the west. I don't think Bismarck has a lick of snow. Hmm....

Heres from Sioux Falls I believe.

The National Weather Service Doppler Radar can detect non-precipitation targets in addition to all types of precipitation. Today, teams of geese were detected moving in a northward direction to the west of Sioux Falls. Here is a snapshot of the radar at 1121 am CDT

full-17238-31259-485905_535051499867016_

Won't be long for us NoDak boys! Quite a snow line setting up right next to the hwy 2 line right now & it's melting fast. Went out & shot a bunch of clays today. I REALLY hope I can get a day or two off when they come in!!!