• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are you using for training treats

mabr

Ok so Im about to start the serious training routine with my new springer. He knows the word TREAT in a big way. Has learned Sit, Shake, Stay, and goes to his kennel good every night or when needed during day time but we have a ways to go.

Im going to start training him on a leash and want to see what others are using for treats. All my current treats are to large for training IMO and want other options.

I used Zukes when my dog was small. Now I use Red Barn or Natural Balance meat logs and dice them up. I'm clicker training so there is a high rate of reinforcement and since these are dog food I don't have to give him full rations of his kibble. I dice the food to about the size of my index finger nail and that seems to work well.

I've always looked in the pantry and found some small snack the kids had in there.

Goldfish work, break wheat thins into small pieces, crackers etc. Use some common sense, I pick things as bland as possible. Jalepeno Doritos wouldn't make the cut.

It depends on the dog, just find something he really likes and that has a high reward value to him.

We have used hot dogs in the past but when I'm out working with the dog for awhile I don't like how slimy the bits of hot dog get after a little while.

We've actually found that carrots work great for our dog. I just cut them up into small little chunks. Only trouble is that when I'm cutting carrots for dinner I'll sometimes see the dog behind me going through all the commands looking for one that will get him a carrot.

Carrots huh, never heard of that, I'll give it a try.

I want something i can put in back pocket that wont get squishy, Ive seen a few videos and they carry it in back pocket so I was assuming it had to be some sort of a hard treat that wasnt to big.

You can also get a small treat bag that clips to your belt or pocket. Thats what I use as it ensures I don't forget a chunk of carrot in my pocket for a few days.

For some reason my dog loves veggies, I'm guessing its partly because thats one of the only treats he's ever gotten. I use carrots for training but I'll also give him a big chunk of broccoli stock to chew on at times. He's also a fan of cauliflower and brussel sprouts. In the summer if I find pea pods that got a little over ripe I'll give those to the dog as well. He carries them off and lays down and opens up each pod and eats the peas out from inside.

We use different dog food. One of our dogs is not treat motivated when she works but they both respond to Orijen kibble.

It's better for them and they like it. High protein and lower calories than treats. A small 1lb (?) bag goes a long way.