• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a firearm

upnorthozzy

I have called in a couple of them the last few days and the initial check went OK, but if they had to be "further reviewed" I'd be transfered and then was told "all examiners were busy and this transaction was delayed". I haven't tried doing any online, maybe this weekend.

Over the last month I have bought a new (used) shotgun and a Savage .17HMR.

The shotgun was almost a month ago now, but the rifle was only 2 weeks ago.

The dealer told me to put the SS# on the application and it would go thru quicker with less problems. Both times it was less than 5 minutes and I was good to go.

although, I'm sure it is a little busier over the last two weeks.

I actually tried to purchase a .22lr on the 26th. He told me it usually makes the process go smoother to put you SSN so I did. Non-felon, not one thing on my record, but I'm a first time buyer (I'm not sure if that delays it). But I was approved once, then needed a second confirmation which is where the delay came in. Sounds like its pretty busy with the latest shooting, politics, and Apocalypse people. It's been two days now and I'm hoping I can pick it up today so I can use it at my cabin this weekend otherwise I'll have to wait to Jan 2nd to pick it up.

You must have got in before the rush of people. On Monday my father in law was there to purchase another gun and they were handing out numbers and were 28 numbers deep. He was suprised by the amount of AR's and ammo that was still available though.

When I got there they were on number 21 and I was 26. I probably saw your father in law. No AR's were out but I heard one sales guy tell another when they bring them out only one per customer. I'm glad they weren't out because it would have made my decision more difficult. Once I filled out the paperwork I got a beeper like in a restaurant when the background check was done. It was really quick and easy. When I left the gun area was packed. One scary thing was when I was looking at handguns, a sales guy was walking behind the counter. When I saw he was going to walk in front of the muzzle I lifted the gun so not to sweep him. He made a point to thank me and said most people don't do that. Really?! Isn't that the 1st rule in gun safety?

I was at the Rogers Cabelas last Saturday and the gun department was nuts. I looked for some .223 and 9mm ammo and they were pretty much cleaned out. Hopefully this madness settles down a bit. Finally got my AR functioning right and now I can't find any ammo for the thing.

When I saw he was going to walk in front of the muzzle I lifted the gun so not to sweep him.

you would be surprised the kinds of people we had at the gun counter. as for the background checks, when a dealer calls NICs, the check service, the call goes to whatever regional nics office you are in. Depending on how busy they are, the check usually is instant. The SSN thing does help speed it up with common names from what I have seen. names like John Anderson, or anything with a quist at the end here in Mn haha. The form 4473's are kept locked up at the location of the sale for 7 years, then cabelas sends them to some holding place for them for the other years.

You must have got in before the rush of people. On Monday my father in law was there to purchase another gun and they were handing out numbers and were 28 numbers deep. He was suprised by the amount of AR's and ammo that was still available though.

they dont have a single ar in stock at cabelas in mn except for the 22 rimfire versions. ive been calling them and others daily waiting for something to come in and they are not easy to come by with the gun ban scare. they will pop up for sale everywhere if this ban fails though

also if you guys get a concealed carry permit there is no check. i walk in, put my money down, show them my card, and walk out with gun in hand

Oh, they still do a background check, but the time spent in the store is drastically reduces, less paper work, and when they call in, it is much quicker of a response. At least this has been my experience with buying guns in the past 3 years or so.

Tom, that was my understanding as well. That NO ONE was to keep records of having a carry permit. How did this news paper out east get a list or people? Who has access to my records then? I would think if anyone did, it would be NICS.

I have bought 3 different pistols, and 0 big, black, scary guns since I had the permit. I have bought I think 5 shotguns, or rifles since I had it. All 3 pistols took about 20 minutes from the time I handed them the filled out paper work, until I was back out the door. The rifles, and shotguns, took over an hour each. 3 of them took a day or two. There has to be some connection?

also if you guys get a concealed carry permit there is no check. i walk in, put my money down, show them my card, and walk out with gun in hand

This is completely wrong. If the dealer is doing their job properly, there is supposed to be a check on everyone for every gun (every transaction actually, multiple guns at once would only require 1 check), no matter the type.

I read a story about some city clerk who refused to give out a list of carry permit holders. The clerk got in trouble. Obviously the law there is different than in MN. After I posted I checked my DL and it says "Firearm Certificate" on it. I don't know if that's for my carry permit or for my firearms safety certificate.

I am nearly positive that a NICS check is required for any gun bought through an FFL. If you have a carry permit you do not need to get a permit to purchase, required in MN if you want to get a pistol or an assault rifle.

The reason for the checks is because a person's status can change at any time and they could be prohibited from possessing a firearm. There is a law requiring that you turn in your carry permit if you become prohibited but that isn't fool proof.