• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cheese suggestions?

I've been going the "consumables" route for x-mas the past few years, and I'll be gifting cheese this year. Anyone have any tips for where and what to get? I know that jarlsberg from target is a current favorite, italian cheeses are very well liked as well, and was thinking of getting something to do cheese fondue, which I've never tried before.

If I wanted to spend a little less per lb, do I just get some nice stuff from a grocery store or hit up a specialty cheese store?

I would say it depends: for my wife's family, grocery store would work fine, for my family, I would go specialty because my Dad was in the cheese industry and our family has discerning taste when it comes to cheese. With that being said, My local Cub store has a couple good cheese selections if need be.

I like aged Gouda, the stuff where it's hard and has the crystals in it. Some good stuff comes from Holland's Family Cheese over in Wisconsin, Marieke Gouda. Lunds and Byerly's may have some (there are many varieties, not just the super aged stuff). There's a store locator on their HSOforum.

Then there is also the Blue cheese from Faribault. That's good stuff too...if you like that sort.

My wife and I are huge fans of Tillamook. Not sure what all they have, but mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, Monterrey jack are some of our favorites. I've heard you can get it at Costco. We just get it when we happen to run across it, it's not available around us.

I've been going the "consumables" route for x-mas the past few years, and I'll be gifting cheese this year. Anyone have any tips for where and what to get? I know that jarlsberg from target is a current favorite, italian cheeses are very well liked as well, and was thinking of getting something to do cheese fondue, which I've never tried before.

If I wanted to spend a little less per lb, do I just get some nice stuff from a grocery store or hit up a specialty cheese store?

Sams and Cosco both have some great cheeses