• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

charging glow jigs

genzbug

I use a UV flashlight. UV light is the best to glow your glow jigs with, it has something to do with the wavelength or light spectrum or some techy detail like that .....

I bought some UV flashlights on-line, if you look around they are not very expensive, pretty sure mine were all less than $10 each and they work GREAT!

Pill bottle with the bottom cut out andstrap it to a pole in the house top side down with the lid on throw your jig in and blast it with a sure fire 6p for 20 seconds and blammo glow baby glow. Take the lid off after and they fall in your hand.

The glowing paint (these days) is made from Strontium Aluminate. Strontium Aluminate will phosphoresce when excited by radiation with a wavelength between ~ 200 and 450 nanometers. Once excited it emits at a wavelength of about 520 nanometers. Mix it with pigments and you get all sorts of pretty fishy colors if you provide the right energy source. Long wavelength UV sources emit directly in that spectrum so most of their energy goes into charging the paint. There are many UV flashlights available. Combo units that have both 365 nm and 400 nm bulbs are readily available. You may already own one if you check for AC system leaks with UV dyes. Camera flashes work as glow paint chargers because they typically use Xenon gas arc lamps. Xenon gas lamps emit light over a very wide spectrum, from about 200 - 800 nanometers at a pretty uniform intensity. Sunlight is also an effective charger but it is sometimes difficult to come by when the fish are biting.

What is the name of the UV flashlight? Where do you get them? How much do they cost?

Chinese generic, around 5 bucks on that big online auction site.

or Chinese generic, around 10 bucks, at the right auto parts store - mechanics use them to spot leaks with a fluorescent dye.

UV lights are cheaper from online websites. If you're looking at picking up one right away, I got mine last year from a local Ace hardware store after checking their inventory online and making a call to confirm it was in stock. Was $20 I believe.