• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Camo

fishingmedic

Checking what everyone else thinks. When Otter first came out with the camo pattern I was extremely disappointed as it looked horrible, now Fri when I was at the show, it looks like they may have darkened the camo a bit which improved it a bit but I wish they would go away from it and go back to solid colors. What is everyone's thoughts on it?

Some may like it, and I don't think anyone dispute's Otter's quality, but for me, the camo pattern is a huge turn off. The whole concept of blue camoflage just seems strange to me. I'm with you; solid colors and brand name are more appealing.

Some may like it, and I don't think anyone dispute's Otter's quality, but for me, the camo pattern is a huge turn off. The whole concept of blue camoflage just seems strange to me. I'm with you; solid colors and brand name are more appealing.

I agree. Blue Camo? what the........

From a business/marketing point of view it is brilliant, IMO. Everybody else is going with solid colors as did otter for a number of years. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any other manufacturer has multicolored houses. What I see happening a few years down the road is these manufactures producing different colored houses for different models. I.E. snowmobiles in the 60's and 70's were color specific until the early 80's. 2c When I bought my camo Lodge, it could have been ANY color because the quality was my main concern.

For those of you who did not see my posts in years past, the New Otter's first came out as just the blue color, however a law suit was opened by Clam (Found they lost this on Dec 15 2008) because the blue stopped and became 'ice blue camo'.

I found this out after someone online was selling a blue otter, which I had never seen before and researched it on the Web. Results popped up very easily.

This doesn't explain why they chose the 'camo' pattern, but does shed light on what colors you can produce your house in.

Just wondering why you guys spend so much time sitting on the outside of your house looking at the color of it rather than inside it fishing?

Its a fish house for crying out loud. If someone actually liked that Barney purple that Otter used to have they need their head examined.

The green was drab and dull. I like the blue camo but it certainly wouldnt sway me into making a purchase decision if I didnt.

I dont like the softpack for my marcum because its grey, but the dang thing works flawless so I get over the color of the pack.

BTW, I didnt think it was possible to trademark or register a color, so for clam to sue over that is pretty frivolous if you ask me.

Colors are a very important patent. 3M had a patent on Blue tape because knock offs were making it and purchasing departments were buying it and then complaining to 3M when it would fail. They would only find out that the product was a knock off when they would send someone to the site to review. How do I know this? My dad has 30 plus years at 3M.

Just wondering why you guys spend so much time sitting on the outside of your house looking at the color of it rather than inside it fishing?

Its a fish house for crying out loud. If someone actually liked that Barney purple that Otter used to have they need their head examined.

The green was drab and dull. I like the blue camo but it certainly wouldnt sway me into making a purchase decision if I didnt.

I dont like the softpack for my marcum because its grey, but the dang thing works flawless so I get over the color of the pack.

BTW, I didnt think it was possible to trademark or register a color, so for clam to sue over that is pretty frivolous if you ask me.

Function over appearance, I agree and so does this guy... full-26142-27132-img_20120223_00238.jpg

Colors are a very important patent. 3M had a patent on Blue tape because knock offs were making it and purchasing departments were buying it and then complaining to 3M when it would fail. They would only find out that the product was a knock off when they would send someone to the site to review. How do I know this? My dad has 30 plus years at 3M.
I was not able to locate a patent filed on behalf of 3M for the color blue, but I was able to find a patent by Shurtape (makers of frogtape -- 6,828,008) who subsequently sued 3M for patent infringement with their "Blue Tape".

Near as I can tell, the fact the tape is blue is irrelavent, its the adhesion properties that would be patented. The fact someone else makes a blue tape is inconsequential, if they use trademarks (painter's tape) or copy any patent employed then its grounds for infringement, but not on color alone.

BTW, I still see blue tape all over that isnt 3M, so obviously that lawsuit didnt work since it was filed in 2008.

I didn't buy my wife her dream house because it was the wrong color....

Sarcasm,but really my point. Sure its a factor, but are you really on the ice to look good, bad, or blend in?

Make it pink with purple polka dots, if it's built that good, I'll be your huckleberry!

I agree the quality can not be beat, I had my good ole green cabin for about 10 years (3 to many) but could not get my self to buy the thermal blue camo and went with canvas craft thermal. Your right their poles are not as good as the otters, but you don't have much choice. Guess am just a simple guy and don't like to stand out. As for the pink with dots, I don't care how good of quality you would not find me buying one unless it was for my wife or daughters which I would have to haul two shacks. One for them and one for me, I'll keep my man card!!

I believe T-Mobile owns the trademark on the color "Magenta" so we won't be seeing that on a Portable!!!!

I have an Otter Pro Thermal Lodge and the one thing that I will say is after you own one it will grow on you but more importantly the true quality of this portable is second to none. From a distance most guys might say wow, kind of ugly but after spending a weekend in one of them guys will say that is is a must have.