• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of getting a muzzleloader

I'm thinking of getting into muzzleloader hunting. I have very limited experience and need some help getting started. For an entry level gun, the CVA Wolf 209 magnum, 50cal gets some very good reviews. What do you guy's think or recommend? They are going for $179.00 for gun only or $229 for the starter pkg. Seems like pretty solid reviews for an inexpensive starter gun.

I bought one four years ago because I was frustrated seeing all of the bucks on the trail-cams and then having them disappear for the firearms season. Wanted another crack at them during the muzzleloader season. Bought a CVA Optima. Similar to what you're talking about. Shoots good for me. Still haven't shot a deer with it but it's not because of a lack of effort. Sure is peaceful out there for that season.

I shoot the gun your describing. Have taken numerous does and nice bucks out to around 125 yards. Has never failed me.

You do have to spend quite a bit of time keeping the gun, breach plug, etc., clean. Otherwise it seems to be a reasonably inexpensive, solid firearm. Easy to load, and unload if needed, and I can put a group inside a doughnut at 100 yds.

I love muzzle-loader deer hunting. Exponentially fewer hunters out, and the deer have, for the most part, returned to normal routines and activity following the firearms season. Gotta be a pretty hardy soul in the north country though. If you don't have really good cold weather clothes I would highly recommend investing a couple hundred bucks in the best quality cold weather gear as well.

i have a CVA wolf or something it was around 200 in a kit from the big C. Took it out of the box loaded 100 grains of powder in there and a power belt. at 50 I was dead on at 100 I cold hit a paper plate every time.

its cheap, but I only use it maybe every other year, its put down deer and for me its great

grainbelt, surprised you can't get a pattern out of your muzzleloader, I would suggest trying some different sabots and maybe different powder. I have heard very few people ever say they couldn't find something that their muzzle loader liked, however, you could be the first.

I have a remington genesis, I bought it when they were closing them out because it was a failure by remington. The gun itself was not a failure, it is actually a sweet little gun, but for whatever reason, remingtons try at reinventing the muzzle loader failed. It was made by traditions. I would buy another traditions in a heartbeat. They are well made, solid guns, and that thing is extremely accurate with 100 grains of 777 and sst sabots.