• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.270 win or .280 rem

The ballistics on both of them are not to much different only about 60-80fps more on the 280. The question I would ask myslef if I am way up in the middle of no where. Which one am I going to find bullets for more easily? You can find 270's in a lot more places. 2c

I've had a .280 rem since 1988 and I love it! all of my shells are handloaded and it's dialed in pretty good, 150 gr. Ballistic tips fly out at close to the same speed as a 7mm Rem Mag.

The gun is a Remingtom 700 Mtn Rifle.

Mike

I agree with Leech. Ammo for a .270 is going to be much more readily available, as well as cheaper because it's a much more common caliber. If you go to a place like GM or FF, odd calibers can sometimes run $10 more per box. I opted not to look at 7mm-08 for this reason, even though it's a sweet deer caliber.

I was back and forth between .308 and .270 last summer, and I chose .308 because I can get cheap mil-surplus type ammo for target shooting fun, but .270 was my 2nd choice.

I have two .280 rifles. A Remington Model 7400 semi auto for in the woods, and a Scoped Browning Stainless A-Bolt for sitting on edges and posting. I love this calibur. I shoot Remington 165gr core-lokt throught the semi-auto, and Winchester silver ballistic tip 140gr through the bolt.

I have effectivly killed deer from 25 yds to 337 yds over the past few years.

Ammo is harder to find, but I just buy a few boxes at a time so I never run out.

The money I saved on the guns becasue they weren't a "popular" calibur makes up for the trip to buy ammo.

Id also say 270 for the reason(s) mentioned. I shoot a 270 and picked it to be different than "everyone else" shootin -06. Many years later, and noting the 270 never lets me down, I do contemplate that given the immense number of different loads and commonality, that Id perhaps go -06 if I were looking at something in that general class today.

I have several guns, of many different calibers, and my 3 favorite rifles are the 30-06, .270, and the .243. The rest of them basically sit. Well, with the exception of the .22's.

I pretty much cover all my needs with those 3 guns.

I love my .280. But I handload as well because factory ammo is expensive. But my Winchester Featherweight is both beautiful and a tack driver with Hornady 154 gr bullets. I wouldn't trade it for anything! Same with Sierra 140gr bullets. It is very satisfying finding what your rifle likes to shoot.

As a charter member of "The 7mm Express Death Cult", my personal choice should be obvious. That being said, .280 if you handload or want to handload, .270 if you're going to use factory loads no matter what.

The .280 Mountain Rifle I picked up about 10 years ago *forced* me to handload and that process has been a fantastic education in ballistics and necessary practice during load development.

The real choice these days is a 270 long action or a 7mm08 short action. Given my mountain of .284 bullets for loading on my shelf, I've taken to the lighter short action 7mm08 rifles and been very happy with the decision.

There is not an animal on Earth that will know the difference between getting hit with a 270/280/3006 or any modern centerfire rifle with a bullet between 130 and 180 grains weight. Find a rifle you like in any reasonable caliber and you'll be just fine.

Amen and very well said, assuming of course adequate work at the range before heading to the field. Proper bullet from any of those calibers, properly placed will indeed do the job quickly and cleanly.

And that's what we owe the critters.

The problem I see with the 280 and handload approach, while acknowledging that's likely better than 270 shooting factory loads) is how long can you count on "the weird guy" for your pipeline?

It's my understanding the 270 factory loads are relatively tame, so perhaps the ultimate option is 270 and "weird guy" handloads while that lasts, and you still have the factory load pricing and availability fall back if necessary.

I have close to 150 empties for my 280, those last a long time for me when they are loaded, if something ever happened to the fellow that loads my shells, I've got the ' recipe ' and I know other people who handload, that's not a problem.

Actually, I wouldn't mind doing it myself but as of right now I just don't have the time.

Whenever I go to a place that sells guns and ammo, I often look to see if they have 280 ammo, it's not very often that I don't find a box of 280's somewhere, obviously not the selection of the 270's but they usually are available.

When I got my 280 back in the late 80's, I worried about ammo availability as well but quickly found out quite a few places carried the ammo I needed, this was before we started handloading..... that REALLLY woke up the 280.

FYI, I was in a gun shop last week, saw a box of 280's for $30, I thought that was quite reasonable considering the box of Winchester 284's next to it were $50 shocked

Jim Carmichel has written a few articles in Outdoor Life about the 280, do a google search for the versatile 280 it's a pretty good read.

Mike

I love my .280 Mountain Rifle. There is plenty of ammo out there. The problem is that stores these days only carry what will sell X many units. That's why you see so many choices for .270 and .30 -06 and fewer for .280, .25 -06, .35 Whelen... Personally I use Hornady Light Mag/Super Performance in 139 gr.

i just wanted to see what people wanted to say about 2 extremely similar calibers. where i hunt i shoot deer at 100 yards or under. the woods just don't allow to shoot further. it really doesn't matter if i have a flat shooter or more down range energy at those distances, any bullet to the vitals will kill the deer. i do think deer worry morewhen they hear me push a .30-06 into the chamber than my .25-06 hahahahaha.

just wanted to see what people put stock on when choosing a caliber when they are close. just curious man don't be hatin. and i probably get both calibers to help round out the collection. now all that remains is 35 whelen. need more money!!!!