• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stabilizers - Do they work?

muskieswen

I have a question about stabilizers. People who shoot with a stabilizer on their bows, do you believe that they work as a stabilizer or are they more for the shock dampening effect. I am not talking about those long competition type but ones for our hunting bows. I would like to hear what you out there think about this. I at this time do not shoot with one but have been thinking about it if they actually work as a stabilizer. My common sense says that they do not but again would like to hear from others.

I think the stablization effect of short stablizers is minimal. I do like the counter balance effect to keep the bow from tipping back towards me after the shot.

With all of that said the biggest reason I put on one is for it's noise dampening effect. The new bows are lighter and faster. However mass can help lessen the noise a bow makes. And as far as my hunting bow is concerned I want it to be as quiet as possible.

IMO, they work. For me I have noticed a huge difference when I went to a new stabilizer. I am much steadier and the counter weight balances my bow very well. It also has two dampeners in it and I believe those can't hurt either. The only con for the average hunter is it adds more weight. I shoot a Mission Journey and have some decent accessories. My bow is fairly heavy, but because I am young (23) and in fairly decent shape it does not seem to affect me. I also benefit from the 1500-2000 shots I put through my bow this summer, which I feel is a lot. I have been bowhunting for 6 years. I have only bagged two deer, not all because of my shooting accuracy. I am very selective and have never shot at a buck under 3 1/2 years old. In my early years I lost two deer due to poor shot placement. Hence, why I practice a lot during the summer.

Back to the stabilizer, I used to have a cheap, short, light stabilizer that came with every basic bow package. This summer I invested in the K-tech with harmonic dampeners and have noticed a much steadier position while at full draw.

So the short version of my opinion, is yes they do make a difference. laugh

I think the answer is they do work, sometimes.

It depends on your bow, the stabilizer, and what you think "working" means.

Unfortunately experimentation is the only way to find out.

Example, for me I hunt with a 4" stab. It does have some dampening effect but more importantly for me it balances the bow and gets some additional weight out front. This helps me hold steadier. Now, if I take that same weight but put it on a 12" stab, it does increase the steadier hold even more, but now the bow doesn't balance as well and makes it harder to shoot out of my blind. So for hunting, I use the 4". It's not just any 4" either. I've had many different short and long stabs.I use the 12" for 3D because it does help my aim at the longer distances. However for my hunting range, and all around, I just prefer the feel with my 4".

I've had other 4" stabs that I hated. They didn't feel like they did anything for my setup, but on a different bow they did. Same with other longer stabs.

My point is, they do work, sometimes. smile And how they work is all relative.

I have one but it probably does more for vibration than balance. I think there is a reason the pro's use the big stabilizers, some of the smaller hunting ones are all rubber and don't have much balance weight to them.