• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting boots

fishhuntwork

I'm in the market for a new pair of deer hunting boots. I have a problem keeping my feet warm when sitting in the stand. I also seem to put holes in the bottom of them from climbing over fences. Is there a boot out there with a solid sole? After the sole gets a hole in them my feet get wet. I've looked at danners and also have heard good things about the rocky's. Any help would be great.

I have had a hard time with keeping my feet warm for years. That all ended 2 years ago when i stopped in Randall. The lady brought out 2 pair, 1 Rocky and 1 Danner. I've had rockies and I've hated them, stitching that rips in a month, stiff soles and just what I thought was poor quality. So, that being said my choice was easy, and I have NO complaints for the Danners. They are the 8" pronghorns (uninsulated) and I'm comfortable in them to about 30 if I'm just sitting, If I had the money I'd go get an insulated pair!

I have had several pair of Danner's all were leaky junk. Redwings did not hold up, neither did Irish setters. The best one I have found yet have been Meindl's. They are more comfortable than my Nike tennis shoes. I have also not had a leak yet. If anyone knows where or if I can get them resoled let me know.

got two pair of Irish Setter Snow Trackers.

One is 1000 gram and the other 1600 gram thinsulate.

both pair are 8 years old and I use them for hunting and work

the 1600 I have is all black and not made anymore I guess. But anyway the snow tracker is great for any type of winter, or hunting style. The boot is full of comfort and function. A serious boot for anyone.

I'll be buying another pair of these if they wear out.

The cheaper Danners are made in China and the pair of pronghorns I had leaked in about a year. If you look at Danners HSOforum under reviews it is a very common problem. I spent the bucks and got a pair of Danners made in the US (only higher end Danners are made in US) and they have been great boots. Of course I did not answer your question about getting warm boots but thought I would throw my trivia out there.

a good boot is only one part of keeping your feet warm I use a thinner Under armor type sock, then a wool sock then a pair of 1200 gram (cheaper) boot that i got from one of those sale catalogs. there not the best for water proof walking but that combo keeps my feet warm, not sweaty and i can sit for a long time. If its super cold i still bring heat packs. or use my electric stocks. but you have to wear the thin sock under the electric to avoid sweating.

for my walking and swamp jumping boot i have a nice pair of danners that are expensive and have held up for the last 2 seasons

CrewJones is spot on regarding keeping your feet warm! A thin poly sock liner paired with merino wool socks is the answer for me. Most importantly, MERINO WOOL!!! I was skeptical until I tried it.

Also, we need to know what kind of hunting you are asking about: treestand sitting, walking around a bit, etc. How much activity will you be doing while hunting?

Rocky's are no good anymore since they started producing them in China. I had a pair of their American made boots for 8 years and when they finally gave out it was a no-brainer to get another pair. Bad idea, they lasted four months and completely fell apart. Best yet Rocky wouldn't do a thing about it.

Now I own Muck Boots for hunting and ice fishing and love em.