• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 ROOSTER REPORTS

More birds because there are no crops. Typical opener we have at least 50% of crops yet in the field.

Its encouraging to see the birds, but I hope the foul weather gets here soon because I am not interested in holding hands across a field to hunts birds with all those other yahoos.

Saw birds but they were as jumpy as they usually are late in the year and they were bunched together. Not that many singles. Ended up with 3 birds between my son and I over the weekend on private land. Southwest BE county and Watonwan county. Bird numbers are definitely way down this year. If I had to drive more than the 3-5 miles I drive to get to my spots it may be tempting to stay home or drive to a part of the state where there were more birds.

Hunted ruffs instead of ditch parrots and enjoyed a much quieter weekend in the woods because of it. After deer season it will be clown bird time again. Then I'll have all the CRP (what's left of it anyway) largely to myself.

Can't wait wink

My son & I hunted some public land on Thursday in SW MN. Moved quite a few birds & many of them were pretty jumpy. We ended up with 3 & some very wet clothing by the end of the day laugh

Only ran into one other guy & his son at the end of the day & they shot 1 & mentioned they thought the birds were also very jumpy.

Didn't plan on going this weekend, but had to give it another try after getting skunked on opener. Got a 2 man limit on public land Saturday afternoon and got one on Sunday morning. Saw lots of birds on Saturday and only got up two on Sunday. Some birds sat tight and some birds would run. One rooster was pretty light colored and the rest were first year birds.

I don't think there will be too many around late season, so I would get out if you have a chance.

My Dad and brother got limits on Sat and Sun of opener while I was elk hunting. I went out for about 45 minutes today and got my limit with my 4 year old boy in tow. He loved it! saw about 15. Had a great teachable moment when he asked why I didnt shoot a hen that got up. He already knew we dont shoot hens and he knew what a hen looked like, but at 4 he couldnt put the two together. Pretty cute.

A pheasant observation is this kinda true I'd think.....but my area had tons of them a couple weeks ago, I'm sure there's some around of course, but day to day it can vary greatly I'd guess, now we aren't seeing much even the few days before this overcast/fog/drizzle/rain/snow etc. we all of a sudden they seemed to vanish, farm fields are the same as well no change since we saw tons of them ? 1 day they're there thick and the next you can't find a bird so it can be really hit or miss. None of this land has seen a hunter all fall.

With the crops being out this early it has been a perfect storm for pheasant hunting. I have run my GSP pup every night since opener we have have encountered have dozen + pheasants each time out. With the little bit of new moisture it has been night and day difference in dog work. South Central MN has been the majority of hunting but also SW MN has been phenomenal on private.

SE North Dakota looks promising this year. I spent just a couple hours out last Saturday. Good #'s in that short amount of time. Ended up with 1. Missed 2 others.

My brother walked once this am and got his 3 before noon.

#'s are up in this area.

Neil

Upland Game Adventures

OutdoorFree

Been having a great year. Not great numbers, but consistently seeing birds, and have a few in the freezer. Its pure joy being out there with a good dog. Lots of nice tight points, great dog work. Weather has been great. Just LOVE pheasant hunting!

Have a sweet spot that I won't even say what county, it's a WPA three hours away from me, and it's been good to me a couple times. I hope it stays that way until late November. Otherwise I haven't seen or heard many local birds. Gotta go very extreme west or southwest in MN to see much for birds.