• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vintage sleds for ice fishing

Big Dave2

What kind of vintage sled do all of you old timers have for ice fishing?
What is the best old sled to look for to buy for ice fishing purposes.
I used to have a '72 340 Arctic Cat. That thing would get stuck on a mole hill with the cleted track.
My favorites are the John Deere and Rupps.

Me, I have real old sleds. 1994 EXT M/C with EFI, the one with the battery. Plastic skis and 1.6" track added. That swayback is for the wife or tagalong friend. My sled is my Indy 400 SKS with a Rotax 670, Precision Products lightweight muffler and 2" track, custom composite skis. If I had been fishing ten years ago I would have had a fleet of TX 440s or TXLs. OK, I did have a fleet of those. Lightweight, easy to diagnose problems on but couldn't handle deep powder or handle slamming into bumps. They would've done swell on the lake though.

Kevin

Willowcat-

What is you main problems with your panther?

What engine is in it? Kohler, JLO, Fichtel-sachs, or Hirth?

What size?

I'm very curious, I'm somewhat familiar with them.(engine wise)

[This message has been edited by river-rat4 (edited 12-10-2003).]

Mueske, you have a indy with a 670 rotax in it.(cool) how does it work? did you have any problems with the clutching? i would really like to see it and heck ride it too, sounds like it would be fun. I purchased a 700 summit cuz i too like to find the deep snow, which has been a problem the last few years.

Ive heard of people putting rotax motors in yahamas because there is no trailing arms to hangup in the snow, but never in a indy, but now i have.

THINK SNOW

I think it's a 230something I can't remember. Single cylender,it pulls over so it's not froze up. I bought it needing work done. I know for sure it needs a ignition switch,feul lines,belt,plugs,windshield, cabels,and a new seat. It was a project that I just havn't got to yet.

My personal beat around do almost everything sled is a 1995 polaris indy lite. When I've gotta go to work we have a ski doo alpine, single ski, two tracks 670cc rotax...we havent had enough snow to bother taking it out in the past couple seasons... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Hey Good time ranger, I've got a decent track for ya if you want to take whole sled just come and get it! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Panfishunter,
I don't know anybody around here that doesn't have a Rotax in an Indy chassis. It started with guys getting rid of those heavy PRS chassis and even earlier ones. Many people had old TXL Indys or 600s with bad engines (I started with two) that still can be picked up for around $100 with suspensions. Rotax builds good engines but Doo had heavy sleds that went nowhere in the mountains until the second generation Summit. I totalled my '95 after 3 years, got the insurance company to pay $1000 more than I could have sold it for locally still in the crate, they let me keep the whole thing. I sold the chassis, suspensions/seat/tank for $600 and put the engine in a 1990 Indy 400. No problems. Never touched the TRA clutch yet. On second starter housing, starter guts replaced about 7 times, needs a water pump and new pistons (OOPS!) after 3700 miles. My buddy put a 780 in the old chassis, built his own rear suspension, used Indy trailing arms and now has about 8 sleds that he has built. My favorite is the old Indy with the modified Rotax 521 that has been lightened. Took a guy with a new T Cat 1000 MC a whole year and mucho dinero to out-climb him. Nobody believes his engine size when told.
I always wait for the first of the year before riding to ensure rocks are well covered. These are the Rocky Mountains for sure. I hate replacing parts from being a bonehead and riding too early but there are many others who don't care.

Kevin

Hopefully someday I'll be able to get my 1973 Sno-Jet out on to the lake. Currently in the middle of installing new oil seals and gaskets into the 440. I've got all the hope in the world it will run great but the mechanical side of me might prevent that from happening. Until that day, my 02 Arctic Cat ZR600 is my fishing sled.

I have a 1975 Arctic Cat Lynx 250 twin free-air with 2400-odd miles. Perfect little guy for buzzing out to the house and back. She's under the knife this year, tho, I'm working on the fuel, carb and electrical systems.