• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy Lake Fishing

Our annual trip to Rainy Lake. Some of the folks who have been here a while will note how familiar some of these shots are.

#1 An island Sprucie!

2DBL1588-s-XL.jpg

#2 I shoot this shot almost every year. Fun to compare colors each year.

2DBL1592-s-XL.jpg

#3 The wildfires in northern Minnesota made for some spectacular sunsets! Along with ash all over my boat and truck!

2DBL1613-s-XL.jpg

2DBL1618-s-XL.jpg

#5 We did get to see the Northern Light event of Sept. 30th. though the full moon muted much of the display.

2DBL1652-s-XL.jpg

2DBL1649-XL.jpg

#7 Beautiful scenery.

2DBL1686-s-XL.jpg

2DBL1692-s-XL.jpg

#9 Action in the form of fish catching from my GoPro. Takes fairly good shots in its own right.

GOPR0216-s-XL.jpg

#10 A time lapse shot from my GoPro camera mounted on a splash guard. Lasts about 1 minute. The cable you will see snaking from the bottom of the frame is a safety cable in case my mount decides to let loose!

+1 on the snow DBL been there done that and I'll save it for ice fishing eek Nice shots thank you!!

Man oh man do I agree with you! Though the Winnipeg River in late October might be a bit cooler, windier, and bigger waves! I've endured a snowstorm or two in the boat up there!

Dan, How do you like your Gopro? I know of a few people who use them and they like them for what they use them for, but from a photographers prospective how do you like the image quality of the video on that tiny camera?

Paul, the GoPro is a great camera. It shoots broadcast quality video in full HD for $300. I like it for the time lapse work, it saves many thousands of shutter actuation's on my DSLR's. As an example the time lapse shot above contained about 4500 jpeg's. I have done 20 or so time lapses with the GoPro, roughly 100,000 actuations. That would wear out one of my normal cameras. The other nice thing is I can mount it anywhere and inside a case not have to worry about weather!

I am constantly finding new uses for the little guy. It travels with me with my DSLR's. When the new app comes out you will have the ability to use your phone or tablet as a preview screen. Makes it a breeze to set up the camera for your shots. You will also have remote capability with the app and be able to stream video. Pretty impressive!

I have even mounted it on the lens of my camera so I can record both video and stills at the same time! Just

another tool in the bag.