• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new conibear traps- how to set light

Is there any way to set a new/freshly dipped conibear so the trigger is lighter? I've set a few and set them off with a stick, and I gotta say they take alot more force to set them off than I would think/like. Also, I'm new to trapping so I'm still learning.

Make sure the dog and trigger is loose on the bar. Also you can LIGHLTY file the corners of the half cirle on the dog. I mean only a few swipes with a fine file or a little bit of scentless candle wax rubbed in the knotches will help them fire. Just remember they will get loose with time and nothing worse then coni's that snap at will. For some reason we waxed a few coni's back in the eighties, they still try to bite your hand.

what brand are they and are you using the farthest out knotch?

All dukes. I have tested them at all notch's with no noticeable difference.

I'll take a look to see if I can loosen up the triggers. I think they move freely, but maybe they can loosen more..Thanks

Usually I'll take a chain saw file and make the notch on your dog deeper this takes alot of travel out of the trigger. Just file to the point where the dog just touches or a hair off from the trigger no more. Will take much less travel of the trigger to set off the trap. The trap when set will have a more positive lock but set lighter and quicker when the trigger is touched. Good luck.

I'm thinking about this, and I would think that by making the notch deeper that it would take more pressure to set off the trap..? I've never done this, so I'm not disagreeing with you, and am willing to try anything..

I started doing this to all my coni's after I read it in a trapper and predator caller magazine and tested a few. Set one of you're traps and push the trigger in with a peice of rubber hose slowly. You will usually see a noticeable amount of hard travel in the trigger sometimes 2" or more before the trap sets off because of the gap between the dog and top of trigger needed to push the dog off from the trap frame. Setting the notch deeper in the dog will not make you're traps trigger with a lighter push but they will fire much quicker with the same amount of force. This technique has worked well for me on all water sets. Most animals are swimming into your coni's I'm looking for a faster fire on my traps without false or missfires they can't slow down quick enough before its too late. On my dryland coni's I have set wood pans on all the triggers have had weasles set off and caught in 220 cubbies with this method. I'm not trying to pull from Jonny's ways but for me wax on coni's is a wack on my fingers. Like they say many ways to skin a cat just the way I have tranistioned to. Regardless of any mods those traps will catch fur right out of the box but it's shure fun to play with them before season.

If you get bit by one of those things with a loose trigger, you'll wish it wasn't! Even a little #110 will make your eyes roll back in your head for a second if it jumps up and bites you! #220 can cause some real damage and a #330? Well, I've never been pinched, but came close a couple of times. Unless you are real lucky, if that sucker gets you, your for sure gonna need some type of medical attention! Doesn't matter what brand of trap it is, they all hurt if they get you!

The manufactuers know what they are doing and if you set the trap so that the target moves through it freely, the tension on the trigger won't make much difference once they commit. They are used to small saplings and stiff weed stalks that they have to push through. Just my opinion of course.

I had a 110 slip on hand going off. even with a pair of gloves on I had a blood blister the size of a quarter, in the palm below my thumb. It was sort as heck to set other traps after that for about 2 weeks. My 330 scares the dump out me, so lots of respect for that thing.

You guys are real men until you get a 330 or two across the hand. Sure stings but don't break things.

Your best bet is to take the slop out of the trigger by filing the trigger notch. I don't feel you need to lighten up the triggers any. Critters will push through them thinking they are grass or sticks.

Critters will push through them thinking they are grass or sticks.

Not really. I had two dozen 220s with a goofy wishbone trigger and single wire dog on them. Long story short they never produced as well. I never knew why until I was giving a demonstration, the trigger tension was so stiff a fisher would need to crash into it full throttle to go off and that would explain two really deep, almost misses I had on martin with those traps. So trigger tension with conibears can be something to factor in and just like anything else we do the money is in the details.

The deeper file pocket does work, tried it last night. But some triggers or dogs just release tough when they are new. Luckily most of my coinibears are 30 plus years old and don't have these new problems. laugh

Best money ever spent at Minneosta Trapline Products.

Quote:
With this inexpensive spring loaded, sliding-sleeve device, any Conibear set - even a log set under water - can be made with confidence. In case of accidental firing, the Safety Gripper grabs and holds the jaws. It fits all size of Conibear traps, including the new "Series 2." Set your Conibears with complete safety with this new item, set and adjust trigger, then remove gripper and your trap is ready work .

full-10775-25175-untitled.jpg

You bet I use the same tool from 110's to 330's also helps preset you're coni on a stable foot and move to you're set location. My only problem with them is it seems like I have to order a new one at some point every year from dropping them in the snow, water or leaving on the bumper. orange paint only works when you know where you lost it ha.

I just finished researching 330 trigger adjustment and Using Google there are several experts posting and  teaching on several aspects of trigger adjustment.. So check out these post on how to safely adjust your body grip triggers. There is more to it than you would think

On 8/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, Joel Warner said:

I just finished researching 330 trigger adjustment and Using Google there are several experts posting and  teaching on several aspects of trigger adjustment.. So check out these post on how to safely adjust your body grip triggers. There is more to it than you would think

Welcome to the forum Joel.

I would like to learn more. Could you post some pictures on how to make these trigger adjustments?  

Edited by leech~~