• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ribs Question

Flash

Thats what I do as well. Remove membrane, rinse, dry, paint on the mustard and then apply the rub. Then I let it sit over night in the fridge.

Seems like the only purpose of the mustard is to help the rub stick a little better, maybe the vinegar in the rub helps tendorize but i'm not sure. Otherwise I don't think the mustard flavor comes through very much.

I usually do the same as all of your posts, but I've also found it not entirely neccessary to sit overnight. I really haven't been able to discern a big difference between that or just an hour or two before cooking.

I don't know why I use mustard, but I do. I typically rinse the ribs a few times, pat them dry, put on a bit of cheap yellow mustard, apply the rub, and wrap in cling wrap for the night.

This is exactly what I do also. Never tried marinating them, I think it would be a waste since they are so good without it. I would save the marinade for chicken.

I may be wrong, but I think he was talking about simply marinading with the mustard & rub. I wouldn't marinade ribs like chicken either. Although I have started brining my pork butts overnight. Again probably not necessary due to high fat content, but I really liked the way the last couple turned out.

I just put the rub on and let sit about an hour then into the smoker. quit the mustard since we didn't notice any big diff. I am really liking mixing mesquite with hickory and a can of beer in the water pan. Any advantage to letting the rub sit longer? I use sauce at the end of the process.

I've done the mustard and rub, and have let them sit overnight. I've done the mustard and rub and put them straight into the smoker. I've done both without mustard too. They all turn out fine without enough difference as far as I can tell. I would have to agree with the others that say it's a convenience thing (sitting overnight). I will say that I once marinated 2 racks of spare ribs in apple and lemon juice for 2 hours before applying my rub and my wife considered those ribs to be the best I've ever done 2c

eyes317

that's fine. removing the membrane allows for the seasonings to be absorbed on both sides of the rib. also it makes for a better "texture" when eating. but hey, if you enjoy the rib with the membrane on that's ok with me. i ate it with the membrane on for quite a few years also but i like it without better. good luck.

put some (bout 2 TBS) of kosher salt in apple juice and soak them "peeled" ribs for a hour or better.......remove drain and shake on some rub "all 6 sides" let set till it sweats......smoke with apple and alder and a touch of hicory/pecan 235-260 till the meat pulls back on the bone about 3/8"......sauce (if u like) and then 15 minutes more in the cooker......pull AND let rest/sit another 15.......drool. 2c