• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Hobbit

DARK30

I don't know how you can say that, Dark. The Hobbit is a very different book from LOTR in intent and in tone, but it has a magic and charm of its own that I think will translate very well to the big screen - provided that Jackson doesn't try to *make* it darker than it was intended to, as a way to try to "fit" it with the LOTR movies.

I can't wait to see what Smaug will look like onscreen smile

It's on my Must See list, too. Sounds like it will be a trilogy also, which means a LOT of the story will be able to be covered, unlike the LOTR trilogy. That could have been 6 movies if they wanted! It's also a way to increase revenue without adding too much to production.

The tone is extremely different from LOTR, and I too hope they keep it slightly humorous without getting to cornball. As tedious as the songs are in the book, they might be fun onscreen in their own element. Can't wait to see Beorn and, although it isn't canon to the book, I'd love to see Tom Bombadil and Goldberry included as they were skipped in LOTR. Probably wouldn't advance the story, but cool for the readers none-the-less.

It's on my Must See list, too. Sounds like it will be a trilogy also, which means a LOT of the story will be able to be covered, unlike the LOTR trilogy. That could have been 6 movies if they wanted! It's also a way to increase revenue without adding too much to production.

The tone is extremely different from LOTR, and I too hope they keep it slightly humorous without getting to cornball. As tedious as the songs are in the book, they might be fun onscreen in their own element. Can't wait to see Beorn and, although it isn't canon to the book, I'd love to see Tom Bombadil and Goldberry included as they were skipped in LOTR. Probably wouldn't advance the story, but cool for the readers none-the-less.

It could have also been as long as a youtube clip had Frodo just rode Gwaihir to Mordor and dropped the ring in Mount Doom

I don't know how you can say that, Dark. The Hobbit is a very different book from LOTR in intent and in tone, but it has a magic and charm of its own that I think will translate very well to the big screen - provided that Jackson doesn't try to *make* it darker than it was intended to, as a way to try to "fit" it with the LOTR movies.

I can't wait to see what Smaug will look like onscreen smile

+1

My kids are psyched

Well, Anyone else see it? We went to the 48 frame/sec showing in Edina, and it is a distracting thing to see. I think it is because we aren't used to it and it looks almost artificially fast, but as the movie went on the less I noticed it and took in the scenery. In time as more movies are filmed/shown this way the more our heads will accept it, but I kinda wish I would have just seen it in a regular format so I could watch the movie for the plot and not the filming. I may go see it in good old cheapo 2D sometime while it is still running.

The movie was good, but I guess I left the film frustrated instead of entertained. Not that I won't pony up for the next to movies, but I enjoyed my experience at the other 3 LOTR movies more than this. I'd give it a "C", maybe? Hard to say.

I saw it over the weekend. The problem with The Hobbit is that it has to live up to an almost impossibly high standard set by LOR. I think if had come out before the LOR trilogy it would appear to be much better.

However, I still thought it was a good movie and certainly entertaining.

I've heard the same thing about the high film rate version. My friends who saw it said it was distracting and made it less believable somehow.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a Nook for xmas and the first thing that went on it was The Hobbit. Having both re-read the story and seen the movie (3D 48fps) within a short timeframe, I think I can honestly say it seems harder to make an excellent film representation of "The Hobbit" than it is to make an excellent film representation of LOTR.

As for the high frame rate, it took me about 20 minutes to realize what my eyes were showing me. To my brain it's surprisingly similar to the same effect of storytelling I get from watching a live play on a stage. In some ways I think that the ability to immerse myself in the story was lost. I felt like I was watching actors playing dwarves and a hobbit, and not actually watching dwarves and a hobbit.

I was impressed by the visual impact of the high frame rate and disappointed at the same time, I think after I see a dozen or so films in it my opinion will become more concrete as to whether I like it or not. For now, I'm of two minds.

Gollum was pretty incredible. Smaug should be too, as they are using the same technique for rendering him (having a human actor portray the movements and layering the dragon on top of the recorded actions).