• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

minor rant - questions...

nwhunter

I hunt an area of public land in the northwoods during archery season. This Monday we went out into the woods, and stumbled across 2 hunters setting up where we normally would (no problem, public land) so we proceeded to a secondary spot about 2 miles up the trail. Not even 2 hours later, the hunters moved up towards us and setup within 50 yards of us. Around lunch, we decided to move back to our primary spot and yup, 2 hours later there they were trudging back down the trail towards us. My buddy hopped down, and asked what their deal was, and they said they're just looking for another place to hunt. We politely asked them to stay put, and they said "this is public land, we'll go where we want."

I know it's public land, but how do some of you folks handle "followers" when hunting on public property. I know we can't technically tell them to move, and it's a pain in our punkers to keep jockeying for position. I'll admit, we have a sense of entitlement since we've hunted this area for close to 20 years, but we've never cared when someone just setup and stayed put. Would this maybe fall under hunter harassment? Maybe reaching, but wanted to rant a bit since my wife just doesn't understand...

Seems hard to believe a guy could find you again and set up within 50 yards if you moved 2 miles away. Were you hunting right next to a main logging road or something?

Personally I would scout a new area to hunt that requires some real effort to get away from the atv/logging trails.

The first spot would be the first place anyone would stop at, and the second is where the end of the trail is (gets pinched by swamp behind it.) While I know that I asked, and can expect to get ripped, a handicap is the reason we don't use any 'real effort.' My buddy has 2 replaced hips, so he can walk, just not with effort, hence picking the spots that we do when we do go together. Maybe we're asking for trouble, but it was clear they either wanted us to be uncomfortable or wanted to see where we were going...

I imagine some of the spots I found while grouse hunting up north last year would be darn near impossible for a guy with two replaced hips to get into. Any chance you have an ATV so you can drive down more logging roads to locate other deer trail crossings to hunt, and out-drive the two knuckleheads screwing up your usual area?

This was more of a rant, but I'm genuinely curious what people do. Sounds like Cheetah would move. That's fair...

Ironically, I do have a SxS but it's getting some work done on it. Maybe we'll just head to the gun area and bow hunt there to avoid any conflict. Like I've said, tiny sense of entitlement since we've bow hunted for 20 years (yes his hips were replaced 20 years ago) on this spot.

I think you just ran into some guys that "don't get it". You have the right attitude on it being public land but common courtesy wasn't followed by the other guys.

Hopefully just a rare occurrence. Your day was kind of ruined and that happens.

I'd probably just chalk it up to a bad day and try to forget about it. I'd be upset to if guys kept trying to move in on our set up. Hopefully it was a one time deal and you can go back to hunting this spot like normal without further issue.

If it does continue I would probably try talking nicely to the guys and try to come to agreement on how best hunt the land so that you are out of their way and they are out of your way. If you approach them to find out where they plan to hunt just act like you want to know because you want to make sure you give them space. Then let them know where you hunt and let them know that if we both stick to our planned areas we should both have plenty of space and we won't crowd each other. Hopefully they understand that it is mutually beneficial. Sounds like there is plenty of land for both groups so hopefully a little friendly conversation should solve it.

nff nailed it right on the head. I too, think you had a good reason to be upset. With two miles between you I'd think they could've easily recognized other areas to hunt, particularly if you'd told them about the situation with your friend's handicap.

Some people just don't get it, no matter how many times you try to explain it to them. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I like the advice already given. Put it behind you, and move on. My guess is these knuckle-heads will move on as well...when they don't have someone else to follow around in the woods. crazy

Seems like some bad luck also for a Monday effort, what does a Saturday effort look like ? If I were you I'd go knocking, you may just find a guy like me who'd say here's the deal, you can bow hunt my land until October 20th and then again if you're a diehard after Muzzy season. 2 of you and no more or that will end our situation in a hurry and if you connect I want to see it tagged and I'll take a few pictures for you. Please always park by my shed so I know you're out there and good to go. Anyway, it's like this summer I threw a marker out fishing and you bet within an hour a few rigs were anchored super tight. Good luck. You'll meet all kinds out there in the public land world.

Seems like some bad luck also for a Monday effort, what does a Saturday effort look like ? If I were you I'd go knocking, you may just find a guy like me who'd say here's the deal, you can bow hunt my land until October 20th and then again if you're a diehard after Muzzy season. 2 of you and no more or that will end our situation in a hurry and if you connect I want to see it tagged and I'll take a few pictures for you. Please always park by my shed so I know you're out there and good to go. Anyway, it's like this summer I threw a marker out fishing and you bet within an hour a few rigs were anchored super tight. Good luck. You'll meet all kinds out there in the public land world.

I'm nervous about heading out again this weekend... we've seen people come through, and mind their own business, but never followed. Maybe we'll have a regular party on the weekend. This is the first time in 20 years I can recall getting irked, but it's been a good 20 years of hunting public land with no problems. Yes there is a big piece of land, but we're limited as my friends handy keeps him from being as mobile as we would like to be. 5 miles is about all he can do in a day, and it better be relatively flat (read logging trail.) We've been thinking about door knocking after this episode, but it'll probably have to wait until next year.

I always throw a 'dummy' marker out when I fish... smile

I think these hunters really don't know what they are doing, they probably figured you guys knew where to hunt so they followed you around. Not a great situation but you might have to make the best of it, if they do it again I would stay out of the area for a while. I hunt all public land and see a ton of different hunters come and go, a lot of times they show up and don't see much for deer and move along to a new spot in time.

You said wait till next year, I'd precisely do that January 1st begin that search, don't wait too long, lots of guys once the season is over aren't as maybe the word is touchy over deer season, at least when most say no it won't be the same no you'd get in September and these guys will have time to talk to you and you may just get a lead on a property. As the talk continues and some find out about your friends situation they may have even more heart than you thought. When I got a no a few years back the guy said, but do you like to hunt geese ? I was like big time, my favorite, tried to get deer permission and now I have lifetime goose permission, you never know. Always bring dog treats with you and ask the guy if it's ok to give them a few at a time and man those dogs know which pocket to sniff on my camo and most land owners like that, good luck !

It's official, we're going to have to look for a new bow spot. Went out yesterday and our normally quiet area had 4 different people in it (all in the two spots where we normally setup, they're that good.) It was a good run on public land, but we're going to either move up towards our rifle area (private) or find a willing landowner for next year. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.