• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

couple of the deep water slabs and bulls from sunday.

MikeRaetz

I am headed out this weekend and my plan as well.... I know some fish will also be up shallow and on the weed line, but from here on out, time to at least start to test the deeper waters where the bigger fish are starting to roam the mid teen to low 20's feeding flats and school up and suspend around the deep basins.

haha thanks everyone. This was a new lake that i fished for the first time. I usually give out lake names but i have to keep this a secret so i can hit it for early ice wink I fished 27 fow and used my vex to help me find the fish along with my lakemaster to keep me on top of the break. Basically what i do is troll very slow on the break line looking for either bait or quick marks that show up on the screen. most of the fish i found were only suspended maybe 5 feet off the bottom. i used lindy fat boys and lindy genz bugs in white with blue eyes tipped with northland impulse minnows and lindy tails.I also threw down the northland tackle bro bug which the bulls absolutely couldn't resist. For the slabs it took a little work to get them to go but i stayed with an aggressive presentation to make the tail really work and that is what triggered them. These fish were staying very tight to the break line but i found some just off the edge in the basin. I fished the north end of the lake and stayed on the move. a little trick i learned to not spook the fish with the anchor is by keeping it in the water and close to the bottom which also made it easy to stop in that spot fast. this was a mud bottom so it made it easy to do. With weeds its pretty easy to get hung up. With the vex sometimes your lure will move away from the cone and you will not be able to see it. What i do is tie a slip on and mark the depth they are sitting at so even if i couldn't see my jig on the screen i still know that i am with them and was able to work them up that way. this is a great time of the year to go deep for them. I like doing this because it helps me with there transition and where they might be when winter comes. Its also a good excuse to get the vex and the Jason Mitchell rods out of hibernation and have some fun smile

i actually use a vexilar fl-20. Its a real time flasher that shows your lure and fish. That is what i basically use all year round to help me stay right on the peice of structure im fishing when most depth finders used in summer have some what of a 3 second delay on the screen.

most depth finders used in summer have some what of a 3 second delay on the screen.

Great post and love all the info you shared, but have to disagree with what you said about the delay. Any depthfinder that is not a low-end entry-level model is going to have adequate screen resolution and adequate processing speed to show your bait and the fish in real-time, just like you see on your flasher. It has been this way for years, even though lots of die-hard flasher guys don't want to admit it grin

I totally agree with you there. technology has come a long ways. the reason i said that is that some like me cant afford to spend the 600 to 1000 bucks to get a good depth finder. I have an older eagle that i use and i have put my vex in the water at the same time and came over the top of weeds as my vex showed but my eagle did not till 3 or 4 seconds later. The depth however is spot on!! If only i could afford one frown i love the structure scan!!

You must be into ice fishing wink
Im an ice nut!! haha i have been dreaming and buying things for ice fishing since last ice out haha