• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 1 Man opinion....

Esox_Magnum

i have a two man Eskimo [which is nice for one guy as well roomwise] but my brother got a Frabill Recon one man last year and is using that and is happy with it. he is used to a pop up type which is cheaper, but he got this one as a gift and likes it. probably would not of bought it if it wasn't a gift but when you get older it's nice to have to haul around on foot or pull behind a wheeler and looks like quality made as well. good luck.

There are 2 companies that have a cool new feature on their one mans that expand on the sides to give you more room. If I was buying a one man, I would check that out for sure.

Not sure if I'm considered a hard working joe or not, so I won't go into any more detail about makes or models smirk

Spill what you know man always up for hearing about new stuff....

DTro was alluding to the the new clam and the new eskimo. they both expand on the bar the goes on the ice adding more fishable space. both of these are talked about in this thread.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2897287/1

the eskimo is talked about on page 1 and the clam is talked about on page 2. If it was me I would go with the clam and get a full thermal model of this.

which otter are you lookin at. I'm looking at the catalog from last year and the pro ultra wide 1 man is only 63" tall and the cabin (which is the small 2 man) is 70.5" tall. now if you're looking at the cottage in the wild series that is 65" tall. to get a full thermal you will need to go with the pro series.

I like the Otter Pro series, but I think I would like the bench seat better. Does anyone know if that can be swapped in?

in the catalog it shows a bench seat sitting on a pro sled so i would say yes a bench will work with the pro but would need to be purchased seperately. the bench seats only work with the medium(cabin), magnun(lodge), & large(resort) sleds.

I have the JM thermal and although I'm not a huge fan of clam portables, it fits the bill for me. It's 10# (17%) lighter then the otter, seat is nice and folds flat so you can put the cover on and keep the profile low, wide enough to fish 2 holes, thermal fabric is nice and bright and lets light in during the day and is nice and bright with little light at night, comes with bait bucket, led lights and battery holder. One of the best features for me was the sled, it's the smallest i could find but the setup size was one of the biggest, this was helpful for me because I built a rack to go onto my snowmobile and I drive an Isuzu Amigo for ice fishing and it's the only one thats small enough to fit in the back. Don't worry about the sled being too small for all your gear because nobody brings more gear then me and it all fits.

in the catalog it shows a bench seat sitting on a pro sled so i would say yes a bench will work with the pro but would need to be purchased seperately. the bench seats only work with the medium(cabin), magnun(lodge), & large(resort) sleds.

Wrong, the bench works with the small ultra wide as well, it uses the same bench as the medium sled.

the Jason Mitchell is a great house for a 1 man. my personal favorite is the scout tc. light and durable and gives you more than enough room for fishing. otter makes some very good products but they tend to be a little to heavy for walking a distance. i feel they are made more for pulling behind atv's and snowmobiles then traveling on foot. the Jason Mitchell would be a great choice for the foot traveling angler.

I'm going to try the Clam Base Camp Thermal hub this year for early ice..bought it at a discount last year thinking it would be nice for a one man...maybe two, for early ice. I think it is 30lbs...throw 20-30lbs of your stuff in a sled and go...we'll see if I like it.....will still be pulling out X2 or Canvas Craft Double flip when ice is thicker...

If you want to stand up in your house your looking at a Otter Cabin. Judging from your picture you look in the 6'3" range or so? Im 6'6" and have to duck a bit in the Cabin but thats what I use for my 1 man and use a Lodge for long trips with the sled or for guests. I love room because I tend to always carry too much gear if there is such a thing. Lol.