• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blinds and scent control

FishingWebGuy

This year I plan on doing a lot more blind hunting that usual. Mostly because my uncle who's ag property I hunt has taken down nearly every tree over hundreds of acres so my tree stand options become more limited each year.

My double bull dark horse arrived yesterday -- which is sweet by the way. It is my 2nd blind and an incredible step up from the wire frame thing I've used in previous years.

I used to always think of blind hunting as a compromise when you could not find a tree but this year I am really looking forward to the placement opportunities it will provide. Not to mention protection from the wind and rain.

I am probably going to set the blind up in the haymow to absorb some good country scent over the next week+ before opener. If we get a nice gentle rain, I think I'll set it up in that also just to try an help remove some of that factory smell.

Yesterday while thinking about blind locations on the properties I have been scouting I realized that I bet scent control is a lot better in a blind also. In my mind, not having the wind blowing directly across your body and then heading down wind has got to help things. Has anyone found this to be true in the field? Do you think your chances of getting winded are reduced in a blind? I'm not saying I'd want to ignore scent control when blind hunting but all things being equal, I can't see how the blind wouldn't help reduce the human scent being carried around. Thoughts? Experiences?

NO! Strict scent control is still a major concern while hunting from a blind. You are after all on the same horizontal plane as the deer, a factor that you negate somewhat while in a tree. They also will pick up movement much easier even while inside the blind because you're on their same level.

If you're going to hunt from it in a field, set it up now and leave it so the deer become accustomed to it. They will definetly take notice of the new "blob" in their kitchen. Even if you can get into a brushy fencerow, be sure to brush it in as good as possible.

I love hunting from my Darkhorse, but deer will shy away from it, so take every precaution you would from a tree stand and then some.

Good luck!

I hunt a lot from blinds and I would agree with DonBo on the scent issue. You have to be even more careful in my opinion and still play the wind. As far as hunting from the blind itself, think of yourself as part ninja, part sniper. Dress in all black from the waist up. I use black face paint as well. Some guys even paint or tape the front of their bows black. The object is to disappear into the darkness within the blind. Per the sniper comment, leave only the minimum amount of window space open that you need to in order to get a shot off. You don't want to get silhoutted from any angle. I have had several deer peering at the blind when I come to full draw while practicing these tips and they've never flinched. They couldn't see me or enough of me to understand what was happening. Good luck. Taking a deer from the ground is thrilling indeed!

I am ground hunting more often. But I prefer the blind for turkeys. For deer a just bring my handy little chair and sit next to a scrubby bush or whatever and play the wind. Ton of fun being at eye level. :>)

eyeguy2 have you actually taken a deer that way? I picked up 2 ground chairs this year just for that purpose and have been using them for some scouting. It is tons of fun to just plop down in the middle of some tall grass with the bug suit on and see what comes out. But scouting and drawing back on an animal are completely different in my mind. I could see it working out if I could get them to look the other way or if I can get the shot off quickly enough but it would definitely be a challenge. Anyhow, just wondering if you've actually had any success without a blind.

I have taken 4 from a chair with no blind. No monsters. Had a nice young 8 pointer almost like me in the face a few years ago. lol I wash everything plus myself in scent killer brand and spray before I hunt. Sure does help. I prefer a treestand but as I age I am starting to enjoy the ground more. Such a rush! Give it a shot. Gotta draw back when they are looking the other way of course and when walking helps so they are not on alert. If they look into your eyes hold still, most times they look away. The deer I've taken this way were close. I've had a few bust me too. :>) I was on a tree seat on the ground a few years ago and heard something behind me so holding still I very very slowly looked to the left and saw an antler about 5 feet away. He walked in front of me and stood there for about 2 minutes.7 feet. Small buck but so close I had to try, my arrow squeaked just a bit halfway back and zip zap he was gone. Been hunting since 1968 so I have many many fun memories. :>)

I am ground hunting more often. But I prefer the blind for turkeys. For deer a just bring my handy little chair and sit next to a scrubby bush or whatever and play the wind. Ton of fun being at eye level. :>)

This is my favorite way to hunt you never need to skip it cause the stand is on the up wind side of the trail. Simply plop yourself on the other side. And boy it's a rush personally my closest on was a nice 8 at 5 yards eating acorns when I smacked him.

Yes, I've been thinking about buying that Marc Anthony bowhunter ghillie jacket as I really like hunting out in the open. Wouldn't need it but it would help with concealment. Many bowhunting articles are now advocating the spot and stalk - even for whitetails. I pulled this off two years ago on a doe and it was a rush. I followed her through the woods for a couple of hundred yards, ducking behind tree after tree until I closed the distance. Definitely a rush!

I will probably get roasted for this but scent control is way overrated, they are going to smell you anyway. Play the wind and plan everything around it in an extreme way. Bear55 - former scent control freak.

I better put a disclaimer in here, scent control might work on younger deer but I have been amazed at the number of deer I have had downwind of me and not spook with zero scent control.

I would agree with all of that. Playing the wind is what I meant by scent control. That will get you much further than any scent control clothing or sprays or cover scent. I used to keep my clothes in big ziplock bags. Now I sometimes wash them in Cheer and throw them in my hunting closet. BTW, if you're worried about UV brighteners, do your homework, Cheer and other detergents don't have them.

fortunatley I don't give off much of a smell. but I still use the spray. maybe they think I am 50 yards away instead of 5. :>) I did a stalk in 2008 and had 6 deer coming my way. 2 doe, 3 fawn and a young 6 pointer. I stood right next to a tree and one of the fawns actually walked right up to me and sniffed. The others were within 10 yards or so. I was 100% sure they were all gonna blow out but nothing happened. After about 10 minutes of watching a coon climb and mess around in a tree, it came down and walked away and they all followed it over the ridge. One of the coolest memories I have in the woods. Showered before hunting, sprayed up, had my cheap silver underclothes under my camo. I spose body oder is different for people, I am just lucky. Don't eat meatballs an hour before ya hunt! That's another story... LOL

I will probably get roasted for this but scent control is way overrated, they are going to smell you anyway. Play the wind and plan everything around it in an extreme way. Bear55 - former scent control freak.

You won't get roasted by me for saying that- I couldn't agree more! I have buddies who spent tons of money on scent control products- many, many hundreds of dollars- and when a deer is downwind and doesn't spook, "it worked" and was totally worth the expense. I don't spend any money on scent control products and have had tons of deer go downwind of me without busting me. How is this possible? Am I scent free? I'm pretty positive my wife would tell you otherwise... blush

Getting back to the original question- I think DonBo nailed it! I've heard people claim there's some scent protection from a blind, but I've certainly never seen it.

Last fall I was hunting a pine grove on top of a hill and the dang deer would show up 10 feet from my ground blind stop and look into it as I was caught off guard as I couldn't get my bow in place for a shot, and that happened three times. So I gave up hunting where you can't see deer coming from a distance! cry

Personally, I think spending money on scent control comes down to a time in the woods equation. If you have more money than time available to spend in the woods, you want to eliminate any possible chance of ruining your success (spending tons on scent control)

If you spend more time in the woods, you will see more deer even without scent control.

But many people simply can't get into the woods very often so the handful of times they do go each year, they want to take every precaution.

I have no doubt that the scent control products provide some benefit. But I think the benefit is far less than simply spending more time in the woods. Spending more money will never help you as much as spending more time in the woods.

I think you should try to be scent free as much as possible and mostly your boots and pants where they contact the ground and any brush or shrubs that your pants could leave. Then try to be down wind to where the deer could come from. 2c

There it is! I stay as clean as possible without being anal about it. I spend much more effort trying to be downwind. Same is true weather I'm in my Double Bull or my favorite tree stand.

I think you should try to be scent free as much as possible and mostly your boots and pants where they contact the ground and any brush or shrubs that your pants could leave. Then try to be down wind to where the deer could come from. 2c

I don't know what you guys do but I wear rubber boots and tuck my pant legs into them. The only down fall is my feet stank really bad so after the hunt I soak that pair of pants in pail of cold water and hang them out to dry if I threw them back in the bag with my other clothes I would never see deer.

I wear rubber boots, use scent free detergent, soap, and deoderant and constantly watch the wind. But even with rubber boots I have had deer sniff my path to my stand -- amazing animals. They weren't alerted but they obviously knew where I walked.

Outside of hunting season I don't take any special scent precautions and still seem to be able to get close when I am downwind and quiet.

I feel the carbon and silver clothing is overrated and overpriced as well, but it seems everything I see in the store I would like to buy has some sort of "scent control". I'll pay for the brand, but I don't want any money going towards "scent control". If someone can lead me to some good clothing that doesn't have a 20% price increase because the tag says something about deer not smelling you I would appreciate it.

I use scent control products to leave as little scent on the ground coming to and from my stands. I would like to see a test where a dog comes in the next day and trys to find the trail of a person using scent products and another not using them. Like to know if what I'm doing is worth the effort. By products I mean soap, detergent, spray. All the scent-lok type clothing seems like a waste of money to me.

Sat in a stand in a steep draw one time and had quite a few walk by. Same stand next night but I had some meatballs 2 hours before, got snorted 3 times by different deer. LOL and all turned around. basically no wind. Lesson learned.:>)