• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RV - Hunting Question

not_nuf_time

Question

13 answers to this question

It really depends how much power you will use. If you plan on running electric heaters you will want something larger but if just running a fan on a gas furnace and a few other things a 2000 will be fine. I have a 2000 and it will run everything in the rv except the AC, and I don't run the microwave and the toaster at the same time. Otherwise no problems at all. If you already have a Honda 2000 and want more power you can get a Honda 2000 companion to go with the 2000 which basically doubles you output and has a 30 amp plug in ready for your RV. I will be getting one of these in the near future.

If your using the propane furnace you'll need power for the blower vent and if you have duct work a blower for that as well.

The blowers are 12 volt. Deep cycle batteries will take care of that.

Question is how long will the batteries last, that depends on how often furnace kicks in.

You can use the generator to charge the batteries if need be.

A Colemen Buddy heater requires no electricity and could be used during the day when your out hunting to keep the camper warm. Use the campers furnace at night.

Should have a CO detector too.

If it is all batteries you may be able to get by with a solar panel and not have to listen to the noise. I would bet that if you had two batteries hooked up in series/parallel (don't know which is correct) you could get away with a long weekend. The solar charger would keep things pumped up for the in between times.

I would use 1 battery a day, just using LED lights, and the blower for the heater at nights, daytime I would use a propane light that I would leave on during the day. Or just get one of those vent heaters that hang on the wall, thats what my brother runs in his.

Hi, set up the rv on hunting property for this fall. My question is would a Honda 2000eu supply my rv with enough power to keep the furnace at a comfortable sleeping temperature? Or what do some of you others do with rv hunting at sites with no electricity? Thx.
Do you already have the Honda or are you thinking of getting it? Honda's are nice units and quite but they cost a lot. You could get a bigger unit for less then the Honda at a lot of stores like Harbor F, Fleet Farm, Manards, etc. wink

Sure, you can, if you (or the neighbors) don't mind a freight train (relatively speaking) running next to your camper all night. wink

Also, some of the other brands are pretty optimistic in their ratings based on Consumer Reports testing a few years back.

The noise factor is as important as the output IMO. When I bought my generator I was aiming for a higher output rig and the salesman pointed out the noise difference. Later that year when the power went out I could hear a neighbor's rig that was a half block away and it sounded like an airplane. Mine was running right outside the house and I could barely hear it. I suspect that a Honda would be fairly quiet. Try and learn what the noise factor is before you buy and you'll be happy with the result.

Sure, you can, if you (or the neighbors) don't mind a freight train (relatively speaking) running next to your camper all night. wink

Also, some of the other brands are pretty optimistic in their ratings based on Consumer Reports testing a few years back.

I like what some guys use up on Mill lacs to get the noise away from their ice house. Long cord and build a half box around it with the open end facing your (neighbors), then they only have to put up with it! laugh

Not everything in a rv can run on batteries, only a few of the basic 12volt items can. My AC, microwave and outlets cannot run on 12volt. Those items need 110volt from shore power or an inverter on the batteries.

The best way to get yourself through hunting season would be to buy yourself a nice high-quality deep cycle battery that is for the camper portion only. This will get you through any night and most weekends depending on the temp and how often your furnace cycles.

Now, if that doesn't seem to fit your needs, then yes you can use a generator to get the power you need. A Honda 2000 is overkill for that kind of use, but yes, it will work. You would have to run it all night and it is quiet at idle, but gets louder when there is a draw on the motor. Not that an RV furnace is much quieter in the camper anyway.

In the perfect situation, you could get a good battery or two and then add a way to charge your batteries. Run on the batteries at night and then run your generator during the day to recharge them. Keeps noise to a minimum. Adding solar is a lot more complicated then picking up a panel at Northern Hydraulic. Most of those kits wouldn't recharge your battery in a weekend let alone after a long cold night, not to mention it is weather dependant.

The other half of my opinion goes like this....

Bring the clothing and sleeping gear required to get through your trip without heat. What will you do if something fails in the middle of the day/night and you don't have rv heat?

I plan my trips for having no heat and then use the heat to keep the camper comfortable when I'm awake inside such as meals and long evenings playing cards. At bedtime we turn the heat down to 50 and go to bed.

My next addition is a programmable thermastat so no one has to get out of bed to warm up the camper.