• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ghillie suit?

mainbutter

We passed by the hunting apparel while shopping for some fishing tackle, and the GF asked about ghillie suits.

It got me wondering.. does anyone actually use them in MN for hunting, photography, or otherwise? Only time I've ever heard about anyone seriously using ghillie suits is in combat.

it would be great for bowhunting if the material didn't get caught in the bowstring or cables.

I just picked up a kit to be able to throw over my waterfowl kayak and I'll say this - don't put the suit together yourself. Mine is 5x9' and is going to take forever to tie all the material on. I might just put on larger bundles more spaced out, but premade is the way to go.

I would think with foilage in the woods, this suit would be the ultimate for total concealment.

Not sure if the suit would get caught up in a string or cable but some camo duct tape in a few spots on ones sleeve could cure that issue.

I have always though of getting one of these suits but never have.

i think more hunters are using ghillie-type suits because as some bowhunters get older, like me, they are turning to ground hunting instead of hunting from trees. once you start pushin 60 it gets tougher climbing and hanging stands. grin

a lot of hunter/writers claim to have great success with ghillie suits - if you believe the web and magazine stories - since they break up your outline better than traditional camo when hunting from the ground.

i have been checking them out but am thinking more about getting a "leafy" jacket or suit instead of an actual "ghillie" suit.

i have been looking for a deal since i am a scent-lok devotee (yeah, i know, thats another debate) and not sure if i wanna drop 300 bucks for a ghillie/scentlok suit or even $150 for just the jacket.

i have seen non-scentlok leafy suits for 50 bucks.

My father bought me one years ago, I wear it bowhunting quite a bit. They work quite well, actually. I have had several hunting partners comment on how well I disappear once I quit moving. As far as catching parts of it in the bowstring, I solve that issue with an old arm guard, I put it on over the suit to hold the "flaps" down.

I actually had a great horned owl come at me once while sitting in my tree stand wearing the suit. (I must have been blending in quite well.) I watched it swoop into the area and sit in a tree for a good 20 minutes scanning the area for food (presumeably) before it locked eyes with me. Then it leapt out of the tree and silently started gliding right at me. When it's talons came up, I realized that all it could see were my eyes, and it must have thought I was a small critter in a tree cavity or something, until I moved. Scared the bejeebers out of it, it beat a pretty hasty retreat. grin

What about a lightweight leafy suit over your current scentlock?

thats what i've been thinking and/or de-scent the leafy suit for warm, early season days.

tried on a ghillie-type leaf parka at a farm store the other day that was way too heavy for my liking. so now i want to try on any suit before i would buy it.

looks like a road trip to BPro next week. wink

My father bought me one years ago, I wear it bowhunting quite a bit. They work quite well, actually. I have had several hunting partners comment on how well I disappear once I quit moving. As far as catching parts of it in the bowstring, I solve that issue with an old arm guard, I put it on over the suit to hold the "flaps" down.

I actually had a great horned owl come at me once while sitting in my tree stand wearing the suit. (I must have been blending in quite well.) I watched it swoop into the area and sit in a tree for a good 20 minutes scanning the area for food (presumeably) before it locked eyes with me. Then it leapt out of the tree and silently started gliding right at me. When it's talons came up, I realized that all it could see were my eyes, and it must have thought I was a small critter in a tree cavity or something, until I moved. Scared the bejeebers out of it, it beat a pretty hasty retreat. grin

B@ssmaster I had a good friend who had the exact same thing happen except with a hawk!