• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lockout

Bear55

They should take what the owners offer, or go get a real job. When they get paid for playing a kids game, why do they want so much. Get a real job for awhile and you will wish you were playing hockey. Get rid of Donald Fehr, and let the players vote on it.

thats what I have been thinking for a while. fehr needs to go!

milestone for me, it only took 10 years and 14 days. I hit 2000 posts! grin

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fehr can be let go at any time...I think they brought him in because they knew he was a hard-head, they needed someone to be able to stand up to Bettman and co.

I've never seen Bettman so mad before as he was last night, Fehr has gotten to him and I think he's doing his job.

There does come a point when you have to pull the trigger and bite, but now Crosby is mentioning playing in Europe...that tells me the union is staying together for now. If the season is canceled the KHL said it would allow 4 NHL players instead of the current 3 per team.

If the players voted on it tomorrow we would be watching hockey by January 1. Fehr knows this and doesn't want the players to vote. He want to be known as the man who broke the MLB and the NHL. mad

I hope Crosby goes and plays in Europe. Let's see how great it is over there when you hear about KHL teams signing players to contracts then refusing to pay them, or paying them lesser amounts under-the-table. Go ahead Sid, take you whiny a$$ somewhere else.

Quote:
If the players voted on it tomorrow we would be watching hockey by January 1.

Voted on what? the last of the 3 offers presented by the players recently in which they agreed to take LESS then 50 percent of revenues or decreases in Revenue that will probably happen because of Bettmans and the owners incompetence in running the league and LOCKING the players out? Oh wait the owners rejected that one too....

I do agree many would throw there true beliefs and future team-mates under the bus. like you and other fans have for a quick buck and let the people responsible for the Strike "owners, Bettman" and it's so called 3.3 billion dollar per year problem "LOL" off the hook.

Like I said weeks ago the GREEDY owners, will while sipping there Wine, eating there steak and lobster in there big mansions will slowly bleed the players to death on this.

As bleak as it looks I'm predicting AGAIN this is all settled magicly next Friday!

grin

Quote:
I've never seen Bettman so mad before as he was last night, Fehr has gotten to him and I think he's doing his job.

Yes it was/is nice that on the eve of GBettmans 20 year anniversary of corrupting and helping to ruin and setback the NHL for years to come that he steamed out all red faced.

Happy 20th Betts you are doing a great job!!!! NOT!

Quote:
I do agree many would throw there true beliefs and future team-mates under the bus. like you and other fans have for a quick buck and let the people responsible for the Strike "owners, Bettman" and it's so called 3.3 billion dollar per year problem "LOL" off the hook.

Like I said weeks ago the GREEDY owners, will while sipping there Wine, eating there steak and lobster in there big mansions will slowly bleed the players to death on this.

While 3.3 Billion is a lot of money, the fact is, only the top few teams are actually making money. While about the bottom 15 teams are losing money. The rest are just barely getting by.

Of that 3.3 Billion, about $1.76 billion already goes to the players, so that leaves about $1.33 billion to be divided between the all the owners, about $44 million per team. Of that $44 million, you need to rent the arena, pay for advertising, traveling for the team, pay for all of the non player salaries (from the CEO to the janitors). Then you take in to account the bottom 15 teams are losing money, and need to use that $44 million to make up for the lost money.

It isnt like the owners are splitting $3.3 billion dollars to themselves.

Then again, I am not feeling sorry for the owners, nor the players. They should all take a pay cut, and lower ticket prices, so the common man can go to a game without having to mortgage the house.

Back when the Stars were in town, I had bought season tickets the last 2 years they were here, I believe I paid $28 per game ticket for lower level, row 2 in the corner. Then the last year, I think the tickets went up to $35 per seat, same seats.

Now I have no clue what a lower level, second row in the corner seats cost, but I am sure it is well over $150 each. That is no longer in my budget.

Revenue does not equal profit.

If the players would have voted on the owners final offer last week, we would be watching hockey by Jan 1.

Everyone said the players got fleeced last time around, and yet they were making nearly 2X more in 7 years and most owners are making nothing. Who fleeced who?

To be honest I love hockey and watched this stuff go back and forth for way to long before I couldn't watch it anymore so I have been out of the loop for a little bit, but I did hear from a reliable source that a certain player was told to report back to his team, only thing I can think is they are close to a deal. This happened last night.

Back when the Stars were in town, I had bought season tickets the last 2 years they were here, I believe I paid $28 per game ticket for lower level, row 2 in the corner. Then the last year, I think the tickets went up to $35 per seat, same seats.

Now I have no clue what a lower level, second row in the corner seats cost, but I am sure it is well over $150 each. That is no longer in my budget.

Last Wild game I was at was lower level center ice... cost me I think $60~ was about 8 rows up from the glass.. Also my first Wild game was almost the last row in the upper deck.. which has made believe there is not a bad seat in the house because I could see the ice clearly from even the cheap seats

Quote:
While 3.3 Billion is a lot of money, the fact is, only the top few teams are actually making money. While about the bottom 15 teams are losing money. The rest are just barely getting by

Are you related to Gary Bettman? .. grin

We're going to have to REALLY agree to DISAGREE on that statment.

crazy

Are you related to Gary Bettman? .. grin

We're going to have to REALLY agree to DISAGREE on that statment. crazy

Your correct it's not 15 it's 18 acorrding to Forbes. "The NHL’s problem is the widespread disparity in profits for its 30 teams. We estimated that 18 teams lost money during the 2010-11 season"

Are you related to Donald Fehr? laugh

Locked out till the 30th now, if they shut it down, I feel for the guys that were likely playing their last season. Plus side is everyone should start the season with full health ! I wonder if it gets going but I wonder and will never know where or how well or poor, how the wild with their new guys would do for a full season, anyway cmon already, MB

The sides are meeting again today, and reports are that they were talking (though not face-to-face) over the weekend. Sounds like there are more than a few owners that are pushing - hard - to get a deal done. I also saw some reports (rumors, unconfirmed) that teams are starting to tell their staffs to get ready for a season to start. Also saw that a couple of the players that are playing overseas are leaving those teams and making arrangements to come back.

I don't want to get too worked up, but there are some signs that there might be some hope here...

I play at Shattuck-Mary's and one of the kids on our team is the son of the Captial's GM...as soon as his dad tells us some new news, I'll be sure to post it on here.

They've been playing a lot of KHL on tv lately...it's fun to watch some of the NHL guys in that.

I think what we are seeing here is a select few holding up everything. There are a handfull of greedy owners trying to protect their big $$$ and on the other side you have a group of greedy allstars who are also fighting for their big bloated contracts. The heads of both sides seem only interested in protecting the rich and could care less about the others.

Quote:
We estimated that 18 teams lost money during the 2010-11 season

Quote:
I got my information from Forbes. I dont think they are very biased.

If, if ands were butts we'd all have candy nuts.

I LOVE estimates by internet sites... I always believe what I read on the net as fact ... LOL.

I have some ocean front property in the Sahara desert if you beilve that non-sense and the players and FEHR know it and as usual in Pro Sports and big business they never have "private company not required" and never will release the numbers or more importantly the REAL numbers.

And if you believe that absurdity by Forbes which I find embarrassing at best... Who's freaking fault is it?

The Players have agreed to take the hit with the GREEDY corrupt owners..... not too bad considering the Players are the ones who make the money for the NHL...

Carry on!

Derek Fisher knows a thing or two about Lock-outs~

Quote:
"The one thing I would offer is, the quickest way to resolution and getting something done is to stay together," Fisher said. "You don't get anything done by becoming individuals and starting to separate. It doesn't mean it has to take longer. But the most efficient way ... is to really stay together, try to make sure you have one voice and one general focus in terms of how you're trying to get things accomplished as a group."

As much as getting a consensus on the economics of a potential deal is challenging, making sure the players stick together can be even more daunting.

"It's tough. In sports now -- not just the customers and the audience growing in terms of a global perspective, but your players have grown in terms of global perspective," Fisher said. "You're trying to have one voice from around the world; particularly in hockey, like Russia and the European countries, that makes it even more challenging than for us in a lot of ways, in basketball.

Hence, Donald "the stallion" Fehr!

Quote:
Wednesday's CBA meetings involving mediators have finished up for the day, with no progress reported.

The league and union each met independently with mediators but not with one another. The meetings wrapped up after 6 1/2 hours, only 15-20 minutes of which included the league because it made its stance clear: "Tell us when you're ready to play," according to Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. NHL deputy commissioner Billy Daly said there was "nothing new to report" and there is no conclusion to this round of the process right now." NHLPA head Donald Fehr added, "I can't say any progress was made [today.]" As of now, there are no meetings scheduled for Thursday.

...The heads of both sides seem only interested in protecting the rich and could care less about the others.

I agree. There will be a lot of players who are losing $$ by holding out vs taking the NHL's first offer. Not that they should have, but its still unfortunate. Think of all the guys who have less than 3 yrs left in the league. I don't understand why the big guys who really got paid can't see that.