• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Girth help

Beautiful fish. So you released it?

Really hard to tell girth from a Picture.

The standard formula for a Northern weight is:

Length x length x length divided by 3500 gives you weight.

That puts your fish around 16 pounds.

Its hard to tell the real weight for sure unless you had the girth.

However, just from the pic...the girth looks right for the length of the fish.

So, I think your close to the 16 pound mark.

My personal goal is a 40 inch pike - which I think should reach 20 pounds. But if you use that same formula a 40 inch Pike would be 18.3 pounds.

To me, a 40 inch Pike has always been my goal and it should say 20 pounds in my book unless it was a midsummer fish and skinny.

So without the girth, and maybe your Pike had an unusually large girth - I would put it at pretty darn close to 16 pounds.

Its a great fish, really nice photo, and nice job.

Thanks guys. I release the fish. I caught Pike up to 41" before but they been on the skinny side. I didn't realize how fat the fish was when I release it. I knew it was thick but when I look at the photo on the camera I was kicking myself I didn't girth the fish. I have a 51'x24" muskie on the wall at home and I'm thinking the Pike was around 20" girth.

Brian

nice thick looking pike! a dandy for sure!!! I won't guess on the girth as I have never measured a fishes girth yet but that is in the upper teens for weight by lenght and the build

Most shops that do reproduction mounts do not require girth measurements. Your photo shows the fish very well and will be no problem to replicate.

Nice fish by the way and thank you for releasing it so someone else can enjoy it too.

Nice fish, I want to commend you for releasing it as well. I look at these big pike the way people treat muskies and hope that outlook becomes more widespread! I've seen too many 10 yr. old pike killed for the frying pan for my tastes.

She's definitely got a healthy girth, if I had to guess comparing your pic to the fish I've girthed on similar length pike I'd say 18"-19" would be real close.

Nice fish, I want to commend you for releasing it as well. I look at these big pike the way people treat muskies and hope that outlook becomes more widespread! I've seen too many 10 yr. old pike killed for the frying pan for my tastes.

^ +1