• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyotes yet?

Matty,

crops are going to be coming out early this year... pushing them out of the crop lands and into CRP and Woodlands.... Rumor has it we will be into some corn first week of sep.... Rifle will be in the pickup for sure!!!!

I would suppose that most sportsman utilize whatever they shoot, they must be eating them, otherwise it would be wonton waste I suppose?!?! How do the pups taste?

Thats a little extreme. I shoot/trap quite a few coyotes every year, not every coyote is shot during "fur season" I do some damage control for ranchers every year. Maybe these guys are doing the same, I was just asking the question why they are starting early.

Helping the pheasant and duck population everyone thinks is so precious :-) I don't think many people get to wild about hunting them till Novemberish... but if one presents me the oportunity, It will be dusted. I may also try to make a trip down to my Sister and Bro in laws farm to hunt their calving pastures before deer season fires up for them...

I have been seeing a few yotes more than usuall in these parts. I also have noticed that when 20 or more crows are gathered in a area chances are they are screaming at a yote have seen this twice in the past week. I'm sure it was a fight for food such as road kill or something.

The coyoytes kill more dogs than you guys would like to hear about and killing them by trapping or hunting is population control. I remember a bounty being on them up in Benton county some years back as well.

I like to hunt yotes late in the winter but any time will work.

Good Luck

We are heading out to ND at the end of October for some duck hunting. The land owner is letting us stay at his house for free, except we need to try to take some coyotes off his land for him. I don't know the first thing about Coyote hunting, but can shoot pretty well. Any suggestions? They are attacking his calves and are even hanging around his yard so I think they are becoming pretty bold. And I think there are a lot of them. He says a guy got 8 in 3 hours of hunting a few years ago. He said something about the rock piles by the sloughs are their dens, but I don't know anything else.

Do you hunt during the middle of the day, night....what? We have a 7mm,a few 12ga, a slug gun, a couple .22's and muzzleloader with 3 guys, which should we use? I have not even looked up the rules yet. We see 1 or 2 every morning driving out to the duck sloughs.

they are cagy, but get pretty bold with out much pressure, and with high numbers they seem to get pretty brazin with high numbers of yotes and cattle ranches/farms, expect them to be where you least expect them... they get used to the commotion and humans being around with them being out working cattle daily... I had one last winter on my sisters calving pastures get up about 50 yds from my pickup, after i spent 10 mins suiting up, loading up and getting ready to go... he let me walk past him... practically walked over him, and get about 100 yds+ up a hill, happened to turn around and look and he was heading out the back door in go gear... should have got out if the truck, squeeked a few times and killed him...

If you have access to a good electronic caller, i'd go that route, if not, a good hand call can be had for 15 bucks or less... I I have a fox pro hand call that is easy blowing, and many variable noises and pitches...

Anything that sounds like lunch will work...

Don't get to good at it or you just may forget about killing quackers! I suggest one with a rifle and a good, comfortable rest/bi pod, one with a scatter blaster and some buckshot, and one running the call and trade off... or two rifles and the guy running the call with a scatter gun...

A mojo critter seems to do a good job of keeping there attention deverted away from the shooters as well...

Just a few thoughts from my experiences getting into it in the last couple years... there are others here with a WEALTH of knowledge and experience much greater than mine...

a mojority of people whom actually hunt them or trap them are doing so during prime pelt season. The Pelts are worth some money if they are not all manged up. Most non prime hunting is done so for places where they are a nu sense... when they are killing your calves, you don't care whats done with them afterwards, you just need them controlled...

In my yard last night trying to kill my cats, my gut feeling tells me they're having a tougher time in this drought picking up scent so they are nose scenting the air anything they can find, he was barking about and then of course other yotes in the area joined in, 1st time ever I've seen 1 in the yard.

My parents had a coyote attack their dog (small dog) and was carrying it away. My mom chased it down and the yote dropped the dog and had a stand off with my mom. The story was actually on the news last year. Finally the city did something after 3 dogs were attacked.

thats the mentality i go with eric, I do not "Hunt" them until later when pelts are closer to prime though... and time becomes more available that time fo year as well... but if one is dumb enough to get caught in rifle range... he gets it...

I am very interested in learning about "yote" hunting. Would anyone experienced in this care to tote me with and show me the ropes? I am an avid hunter but have only hunted big game. I live in north metro (Anoka) and have no problem with footing gas and dinner costs for the help.