• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Regulations Question

Hoping to get y'alls opinion on what may be a dumb hunting regulations question. Here's the deal:

I bow hunt in a "intensive" area, but the area I shotgun hunt with my family went "hunter choice" this year. The regulations state "if you take a deer in a hunter choice area ... you can take deer in a managed or intensive area, provided you adhere to the bag limits of that area ..."

Problem is, it doesn't say you can do the same in reverse order. My question is this: If I shoot a deer with my bow BEFORE firearms season in a intensive area, can I still take one with my shotgun in a hunter choice area during THAT season?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

My understanding is yes (the way explained by dnr to me), I hunted a managed and a intensive area the past 4 years and I was told I could get my 5 with bonus permits but only two out of managed area (registered in that area). So I could do 2 in managed and 3 in intensive or 4 in intensive and one in managed etc etc (only one buck total).

Pike, YES.

You could shoot 1-4 deer in an "intentsive" area before shotgun season and still tag a deer in a hunters choice zone.

Of course, if you shoot a buck with your bow in an "Intentsive" area your shotgun tag in the hunters choice is only a doe license.

If you shoot a deer during the shotgun season, in a hunters choice area your are DONE in ALL, hunters choice and lottery areas. (unless party hunting of course).

Being we are on this topic I will throw my scenario out here.

Say I shoot a buck during archery season in a managed area. Can I still buy a firearm license and hunt a hunters choice area or lottery area if I got drawn for doe permit? My firearm license would just be a doe tag basically?? Thanks

My suggestion for any questions regarding hunting/fishing regs......

Call the MN DNR or email them. Dont ask on forums.... I have seen too many times where questions are posed, and there are plenty of people that dont have a clue.

Call the MN DNR or email them. Dont ask on forums.... I have seen too many times where questions are posed, and there are plenty of people that dont have a clue.

ah come on, it's fun to ask on the forums and to read all the different responses. For sure check with the DNR if you have any doubt, but it doesn't hurt to ask on these forums. Just don't trust the answers on the forums. wink

I would email. Then you have a paper trail.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'll be asking the DNR as well, and will post their response. I wanted to start here to see if there was anything I was missing.

In response to the bonus tag debate, I don't understand in what scenario I would need one.

a) I will have filled my BOW tag, not my firearms tag.

B) Bonus tags are not valid in hunter choice areas.

Thanks all!

As promised, here's the response I received from the DNR. (Via email, so that I can print and place it with my tag, just in case.) smile

"Yes you can. One deer of either sex in a hunter choice area, then any remaining deer must come from a managed or intensive area. One buck per person, regardless of license or licenses, and only one deer from any hunter choice and lottery areas."