• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fighting Zebra Mussels

Dylan33

I'm sure this has been referenced here before, but I came across this today and thought I'd share. The state of Virginia was able to eradicate zeebs in a small lake a few years back. Why wouldn't that works here? Why not make this more widespread?

I'm not fisheries or environmental expert, so I guess I'm wondering what some of you people smarter than me think?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/zebramussels/

Well I'm not an expert at toxicology or anything, but a few things come to mind:

They weren't worrying about native mussels or crustaceans, one would think a potassium concentration high enough to kill zebra mussels would also kill native ones. In non-quarry situations, when there is a much more complex ecosystem, there is going to be a lot of collateral damage. And one would think that 100% effectiveness is not feasible in a large body of water, which means that it'd be prone to another breakout of zebra mussels

We're also talking about a 12-acre body of water, and it cost them 350K to do it. Extrapolating those numbers out and you're talking about 30 million dollars to apply the same thing to Prior Lake, for example.

Just convince people that they're a delicacy.

That's what they did several years ago with the Patagonian toothfish in the South Atlantic. It was essentially an ugly, by-catch fish that no one wanted and which couldn't compete with the salmon and swordfish in the commercial market.

They renamed them "Chilean Sea Bass" and fancy restaurants in NY and LA couldn't get enough - to the point where the population was threataned and the fishing of them has to now be highly-regulated.

Zebra-mussel soup, maybe? smile

Spend the 30 million. Will probably save us money in the grand scheme considering the futile efforts and expenses we're throwing at it today.

Gonna do that for every infested lake? Every ten years or so? Where are we going to come up with half a billion dollars?

Gonna do that for every infested lake? Every ten years or so? Where are we going to come up with half a billion dollars?

Exactly!

We object to Half Billion eradication method because it would come in the form of 1 big bill every ?10 years.

I think eventually we will ramp up to a half billion a year in enforcement and silly preventative measures also...The number of bills are in the thousands, just the individual quanties are less...and nothing is stopped. So they may appear to be cheap preventative methods, but their total cost is likely the same as an actual eradication method.

MilfOil in Minnetonka 1987...Trying to prevent the spread in 2012 crazy

How much money do you think we've spend thus far?

BTW...I totally agree with you, my comment was completely tongue in cheek. I would not support use of chemicals to erradicate the invasive species...There is no way it would do less harm than the zebra mussels themselves.

When did the first zebra mussel arrive in MN?

We just need to accept and love our new lake friends. Then life can be simple again. CO's can go about their days checking licenses, limits, and educating the younger generations. Instead of starting a war with the cute little sea shells.

We just need to accept and love our new lake friends. Then life can be simple again. CO's can go about their days checking licenses, limits, and educating the younger generations. Instead of starting a war with the cute little sea shells.

agreed.

There was a blue green algae that was dead and sterile that has been found to kill zebras. The algae had been tested with other "natural" algaes and it didnt seem to adversely affect them, but had a devastating affect on the zebra mussels. I do not recall what impact if any it had on native mussels though.

The key thing is every time they try to introduce another non-native to kill a non-native it isnt good.

There's promising zebra mussel control research in progress involving a type of soil bacteria called Pseudomonas fluorescens. In trials it has killed greater than 90% of zebra mussels. It has also been tested on a number of other species without causing any significant death.

This describes a current study on this bacteria (Minnesota DNR looks to be playing role, which is encouraging) : http://cida.usgs.gov/glri/projects/invasive_species/zm_control.html

There's promising zebra mussel control research in progress involving a type of soil bacteria called Pseudomonas fluorescens. In trials it has killed greater than 90% of zebra mussels. It has also been tested on a number of other species without causing any significant death.

This describes a current study on this bacteria (Minnesota DNR looks to be playing role, which is encouraging) : http://cida.usgs.gov/glri/projects/invasive_species/zm_control.html

By other species do you mean native mussels?

I stayed on lake Carlos the last couple days and the DNR is doing a huge study on the Zebra mussels there right now. They had a large trailer set up with tanks inside and they are pumping things from the lake. I never did make it over to discuss further with them.

I stayed on lake Carlos the last couple days and the DNR is doing a huge study on the Zebra mussels there right now. They had a large trailer set up with tanks inside and they are pumping things from the lake. I never did make it over to discuss further with them.

I just read an article on this exact thing. It's some type of "food" that they put in the water and the zebe's eat them and die. Hopefully a slow agonizing death. wink

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I read this thread with interest. I talked to a little DNR girl at Gull about these things, but she didn't really know much. Maybe someone here knows. I'm trying to find out if Zebras have done any damage or caused any harm so far in Minnesota to our fisheries. I know they cleaned up Lake Erie and restored it as a world class Walleye and Smallmouth lake, but I'm still trying to find out what bad effect they've had on Minnesota fishing.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I read this thread with interest. I talked to a little DNR girl at Gull about these things, but she didn't really know much. Maybe someone here knows. I'm trying to find out if Zebras have done any damage or caused any harm so far in Minnesota to our fisheries. I know they cleaned up Lake Erie and restored it as a world class Walleye and Smallmouth lake, but I'm still trying to find out what bad effect they've had on Minnesota fishing.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend.

LOL.