• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim Ladder

DooWap

I just bought my first boat a couple weeks ago, a new to me 2002 Lund Pro V 1800. With as hot as it's been this summer it's sometimes nice to jump in the water after a morning of fishing. While it's possible, it can be a pain to get back in the in the boat without a ladder. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a boarding ladder that can be used with a Pro V? I tried one I found at Fleet that is supposed to hang over the gunwales, but the gunwales on the Pro V are too wide for it. I can't use anything on the transom as I have Wave Wackers that would get in the way.

I have a hook ladder that has 2 wide hooks that go over the edge of the boat and that works for me....I have a Lund Angler with 5 to 6 inch wide sides but I know some of the pro-v's are a little wider. Good luck

Ozzie,

Can I ask you where you have purchased this ladder or what brand it is? I too have a Lund Angler 1700 SS and it is nearly impossible for the kids to climb back in the boat after being in the water. I've tried a rope ladder that hangs over the sides but it is nearly impossible to climb in the boat. The only way that I have found to climb in is to crank the motor over to one side and use the planing fins as a step.

Ozzie,

The gunwales on the Pro V are a little wider than the Angler, that's the problem I'm running into. I believe I tried the same ladder you're talking about with no luck. I wish they made the hooks just a little wider!!

They have several ladders at fleet farm. The one with the giant white hooks on the top is what I use on my boat, a crestliner 1850 sportfish. I'd guess that my gunwales are slightly narrower than the proV and similarly sized to the angler. I could go measure them to be sure, but best bet is to just check for specs online or bring a tape measure into the store. The stand-offs fold in, and the hooks twist in so that the ladder is almost flat for transporting. They make a 3 step version and a 4 step version.

I recommend the 4-step model if you're hanging it off the side of the boat. My 3-step ladder works better off the back of the boat, but not due to the hook design. It is not great on the side due to the lack of the the third step not being very far below the surface. In fact, the only problem with hanging it off the back is that the hooks are TOO BIG and it really flops around a bunch -- opposite problem you have. But that's OK, it still works.

Looks basically like this:

hook%20ladder.jpg

I started looking for a ladder and was amazed to find that some sell for as much as $400.00. I bought a 4 step at Gander for $49.00 that is similar to the one Annderud posted. It is well constructed and we use it every weekend. I have a 2009 Explorer. I think it would work fine with the Pro V. Be sure to measure those wide gunwales on your PRO V to make sure the top hooks fit.

aanderud,

That is pretty much the exact ladder I picked up at Fleet, I was thinking it would be the perfect little set up until I tried to hang it on the boat. The hooks are just a bit too narrow.

Anyone with a Pro V out there that has solved this problem? I'd rather have something similar to these hook on ladders than have to mount something to the boat.

Our pontoon uses that style ladder posted. But there are some small cups set into the deck of the pontoon for the ladder to sit into. If you are not opposed to modifying your gunwales that may be an option.

I guess ProV's are to be fished out of not swam out of!! haha The ladder pictured is the ladder that I mentioned but I got mine at a garage sale or something like that...handy to have. Good Luck on your search DooWap

I have a Pro-V and have a ladder just like the picture above. It works fine near the front of the boat where it is narrower for the ladder hooks. The only thing I had to do was get 2 large wooden dowels about 8 inches long with rubber ends (kind of like on the ends of crutches)for the middle ladder supports so that the ladder would stay straight up and down against the boat while climbing up.

When done, just pull the wooden dowels out and fold up the ladder.

My thoughts exactly Ozzie, I definitely didn't buy this boat to use as a pleasure cruiser. It's just really nice to take a swim when that mid day sun gets hot.

HOF#13,

I was thinking about trying that, my main concern was the angle of the hull there and not allowing the ladder to sit straight. I might have to try your method and see how it works. Thanks for the tip.

Google pontoon swim ladder, they sell them with 2 clips that you would screw onto your boat. The clips have a slot cut into them that accepts the ladder.

The clips that I am talking about are a surface mount, not the pocket style that you would need to drill holes for.

HOOK SIZING GUIDELINES:

7" (18cm) Hooks for narrow decks on smaller boats, hooks fold flat for stowage

11" (28cm) Hooks for universal fit on most size decks, hooks fold flat for stowage

Google Garelick Marin products....Based in St. Paul, MN

Your gunwales are larger than 11 inches wide? That's crazy big.

Yeah both the Pro V and Mr Pike I believe have gunwales that are almost a foot wide. It's a pain for finding a swim ladder but they are great for standing on.

I have the ladder you are looking for and it's for sale! I had an Alumacraft with wide gunwales. It basically looks like the ladder in the picture above but it also has hardware that you mount so the ladder stays secure but is removed very fast.

I have different boat now and that ladder does not work on my new boat. It's in excellent shape, PM me if you want to hear more.

I tried to sell it at our garage sale this weekend but no takers.