• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallest lake you regularly fish?

What is the smallest lake that you regularly fish for walleyes? How is the population and size of the eyes in that lake? What are your favorite tactics for smaller lakes?

For me the smallest lake that I regularly fish for eyes is around 250 acres. There is not a lot of eyes in there, but when we do get one it's usually a very nice fish compared to the average eye in the larger lakes around here. Favorite tactic by far is trolling shad raps or minnow raps in perch or firetiger patterns.

How are the small lakes around you?

although i have fished smaller lakes for walleys, my favorite one is around 300 acres and is somewhat off the beaten path. it doesn't get stocked so i keep a lid on it.

the lake also has some decent perch, small pike, and very nice crappies along with very few but large gills. the water is stained and is mainly a day time bite lake. a freind of mine showed me this lake over 30 years ago and i have only seen one other boat fish this lake even though it has some cabins on it.

now to say that only one bait works on these fish would be foolish on my part, however i only use one bait. years ago my friend told me to use an 1/8 ounce Lindy Fuzzy Grub in the pink head/white body/ and pink fuzzy end bait. on that i put on a fathead.

this bait i drift with and toss and jig with. the same bait works on the crappies as well, so there is no need to change baits. we do use a bobber/minnow at times when the action slows down. i make sure i have bulk jigheads and bulk Lindy body's of these fuzzy grubs when i go there. those pike cut me off at times with very few snags. it is also a shallow lake so the majority of the time i fish in less than 12 feet of water. good luck.

The smallest lake I regularly fish for walleyes is Leech. 114,000 acres small. I do hit the river alot but that's not a lake, and how many acres is the Mississippi/St.Croix anyways?

The reason I like big water is that there is always room for 1 more boat and you can always find a spot where the presentation that you want to work with will work.

77 acres and the walleye fishing is difficult to say the least. The lake has a good population with some very nice fish. They don't reproduce naturally (although they certainly try to) so the state stocks fry every year.

The lake gets a ton of traffic so the walleyes are extremely finicky. It is also overflowing with shad so there's no shortage of baitfish, which complicates things.

The best way to catch them is to go after something else and hope a walleye bites. If I'm fishing specifically for them, casting small plastics seems to be the best bet. Traditional walleye rigging tactics seem to be just about useless for whatever reason.

I have a nearby lake that I fish almost 50% of my time on the water. Just over 100 acres with a size structure of plenty of good eaters, and trophies to be had. Pike up to 42" and 27-29" walleyes are caught on this small lake. Last year I really hit the lake hard casting cranks and had plenty of pike action but only a few eyes. Now this year I'm really going full speed with spinners with decent results. Seems alot easier to get skunked when out for 3-4 hours lindy rigging. But with any lake this small this time of year...here come the weeds!

143,000 acres, give or take:) I do the vast majority of my fishing, winter and summer, at the cabin up on Red. My next-most fished body of water is 2 miles down the road...but I'm pretty sure lake Superior is a little bigger yet:)