• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Some More Buckboard Bacon Today

DSC03034aaa.jpg

I had about 1/3 of a pork loin I started curing last Tuesday, and this afternoon I smoked it. For a change of pace... on this one I followed my recipe which uses Morton's Tenderquick (I usually use Hi Mountain's Buckboard Cure) and was very pleased with the results. I'm not sure, but I think I pulled a little more color than normal.

DSC03037aaa.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see you used the rib eye end of the loin [thats what i call it]. great work as usual. i get the messege. i got to do it myself and soon. my brother is waiting for it also. i got to quit talkin and start walkin. i will take out the loin today and thaw it out. i like using the rib eye end for country ribs as well by butterflying it ect. the most tender part of the boneless pork loin in my opinion. good luck.

Jim's link ^ to my post from last year has all the info. I can't stress how important the soaking after curing, and the refrigerated rest is. This adds a day to the 7 day cure time, but it takes the finished bacon from an 8 to a 10.

i got my whole loin thawing out for the proccess to beging tommorow. it's a natural boneless loin so it's not "enhanced" or injected with a sodium solution. it weighs 9 and a third pounds. after thawing and loss of some juices it will probably go 9 even. i wanted a 10 pounder to make to 5's but this was the biggest they had. thanks for the tip on Sam's. going there tommorow anyway. that's a good price on butts. i think i'll have to add some to my collection. good luck.

ya, i'm following your directions. do you think there will be a problem if i go with the 5 pound recipe even though they will be around 4 1/2 pounds each? good luck.

Well, if they weigh 4.5 pounds each X 2 = 9 pounds of total meat. You need 6.75 ounces of cure (using 1/2 the amount on each). If you rounded up to the amount needed for 10 pounds of meat you would be using 7.5 ounces of cure.

The meat will absorb the cure at a standard rate, the temp of your fridge can have an effect during the 7 days, as will the cure time, soak time, rest time.... you see where I'm headed. Using more is definitely better than using less than is called for, and I don't think a few more nitrates will hurt you, but most of that additional 3/4 ounce will be salt and sugar.

Because there are so many essential variables involved, I would recommend sticking as close to the recipe as you can, and record all your details in a notebook. Your comments are the most important. Comments like "too dry" or "too salty", or "needs more pepper" will guide you on your next batch, because you will know what to change.

Thanks Third Eye. i was more worried about the cure because i know that has to be measured more acurately than the spices. i will take notes. should be a great learning experience. good luck.

Spices? If you are using the HI Mountain cure, it's already pre mixed. Other than some black pepper you can opt to add.

ya, i was just talking in general [sausage, summer saus ect], should have been more clear. i'm using the high mountain you sent me. thanks again. they do have products on line that i cant get here. just basicly jerky seasonings. good luck.

Where do you find maple sugar?

Mrs ~t~ gets is locally, so I would bet a regular grocery or Wally World. It's my understanding they reduce most of the water out of maple syrup and all they have left is sugar. Mine is a jar of brown crystals about the size of kosher salt flakes. Anyway the stuff is sweeter than regular sugar, but the downside is it can burn easier.

I have to try this!!! I like ham and I like those whole pork loins, this sounds like a good combo of the two!! I missed the original thread, just got done reading thru it, didn't know that there was a 'name' for the two ends of the loin, all I know is that I would cut the meatier end into pork steaks and the other end into a small pork roast.

thirdeye, really like your detailed instructions in the original thread, especially concerning the soaking and equilization. I'm sure my wife wouldn't like it if it got too salty. Also about making some notes, I do that to a lot of my recipes so that the next time I make it right.

I don't have a smoker (yet) but was thinking I could do this on my big weber, put the loin off to the side, make sure I get it up to the required temp.

Now I just need to find a sale on pork loins....

I pulled a whole loin out of the freezer last night, set it on the freezer to thaw a bit before it went into the fridge, then forgot it until lunch today. cry

I ran home a checked on it, but it was completely thawed and at room temp. I hate throwing away food frown