• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Some More Buckboard Bacon Today

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started the cure yesterday and they are in two seperate large ziplock bags. i will turn them over once today and once everyday and they should be ready to smoke by next Monday or Tuesday. i was letting the loin thaw out some in room temp and then back to the fridge and it wasn't completly thawed by when i was planning the cure a couple of days ago.

i took one pack of the Highmountain buckboard bacon cure which cures 8 pounds and divided it in half with a kitchen scale. i sprinkled pepper on each half and then put the cure on the loins, rubbed them well and put them in seperate ziplock bags. good luck.

Ordered some of the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure yesterday, now just need to find a sale on pork loins. I'm sure it will be a like the 'watched pot never boils', now that I'm looking for them to go on sale, they won't.

if you have, or a friend that has a Sam's membership the boneless loins usualy have the best price around unless a special sale by the grocery stores. if you have a County Market store near you, they have the loins this week at 2.59 per pound. that's a good price as well and for what i have seen they along with Sam's have the "non-enhanced" pork that this calls for. good luck.

What's the price at Sam's? I might have to send an order along with my neighbor next time he goes there.

I would also like to try this buckboard bacon. It's gotten some pretty good comments from you guys. Is it by order only?

Sometimes you can find HiMountain products at sporting goods stores. Of course, it's a local product for me.... but my Sportsman's Warehouse carries their sausage mix, jerky mix and also the Buckboard.

I also have a tenderquick based cure that is similar if you can get that locally.

Fly, the whole boneless pork loin is 1.99 lb. at Sam's and the pork butts are 1.58 lb.. both great prices. i haven't seen buckboard seasoning anywhere here yet. probably have to order it on line or use Third Eye's reciepe. good luck.

i have never been to Coborns, for it's over in your neck of the woods but i would like to stop in there if i'm driving by [always check out the meat dept's grin]. the cub store,rainbow, and county markets here all carry Highmountain but just the asst. jerky stuff. i talked to the person in Meynards here off on 10 because i was told they had a full variety. however she said they only carry it during fall and through winter. thanks for the suggestion. my neighbor gets their grocery delivered by Coborns. i could give them a call to see if they carry it [buckboard] and if they do give them the money and order some for me. good luck.

if you have, or a friend that has a Sam's membership the boneless loins usualy have the best price around unless a special sale by the grocery stores. if you have a County Market store near you, they have the loins this week at 2.59 per pound. that's a good price as well and for what i have seen they along with Sam's have the "non-enhanced" pork that this calls for. good luck.

Thanks reinhard!!! My wife has a Sam's membership, will get her to pick up a couple next time she runs up to St. Cloud.

I couldn't find the Hi Mt Buckboard Bacon locally even thought they carry the Hi Mt mixes, ended up ordering them online, should arrive this week.

the loins i cured are in the soaking stage right now for 3 hours. i will change the water once and then pat dry and sprinkle some more black pepper on them and let them rest overnight to smoke tommorrow. good luck.

full-35080-20806-img_0002.jpg

i'm so glad i actualy can show this photo. having a hard time with the right size and all. anyway, this is the product of the great advice from Third Eye. i want to thank him for the whole proccess. the buckboard bacon is awesome. good luck.

i had to have a little slice, i couln't help it. going to slice and vacume pac it today. will be doing this a lot more. good luck.

porkbuttmike1.jpg

My buddy Mike packages his Christmas Buckboard like this with fancy labels and everything. I also like to package some chubs.

DSC09659a.jpg

that all looks very nice. i'll probably slice all mine. my family are not the best with a knife and nobody has a slicer. i'm going to try a butt with this too next. thanks again. i'll try your mix the next time also. i've got plenty of tender quick. good luck.

going to start the cure again later today. using a nice 10 pound boneless loin which i will be cutting in half. one half i will use Thirdeye's cure and one with the Highmountain as i did before. when they are done i'm going to vacume them in chunks. last ones i vacumed sliced and that worked out great too. good luck.

going to start the cure again later today. using a nice 10 pound boneless loin which i will be cutting in half. one half i will use Thirdeye's cure and one with the Highmountain as i did before. when they are done i'm going to vacume them in chunks. last ones i vacumed sliced and that worked out great too. good luck.

Well, I hope you do a side-by-side taste test, I'll be interested to see how you rate both cures.

My last one I did with my cure... and looking at my notes I went one day longer (7 days), so I did a 9 hour soak just in case, followed by an overnight rest. My pit ran a little hot so my smoking time was 3 hours to get to an internal of 155°.

i cant resist taking a taste test grin. the loin i'm working with is a ten pounder and has a larger circumference. so i will give them the extra time. what would you think of using "real cane sugar" vs maple sugar since i cant find it today? there is a hint of molasses flavor in it. i'll wait for tommorow to start it. thanks. good luck.

i cant resist taking a taste test grin. the loin i'm working with is a ten pounder and has a larger circumference. so i will give them the extra time. what would you think of using "real cane sugar" vs maple sugar since i cant find it today? there is a hint of molasses flavor in it. i'll wait for tommorow to start it. thanks. good luck.
Alton Brown from the food network has a molasses cure for bacon,I tried it and thought it was pretty good.So I'd have to assume the canesugar, dark I presume would add some fine flavors.

I don't know if we have talked about this or not, but you can brush maple syrup on the buckboard during the last 30 minutes of smoking. It's sort of like glazing on a ham.

Another option is to mix maple syrup with hot water and inject the loins the last couple hours of the equalization step. (too early in the equalization step will interfere with the intent of the equalization.)

I still prefer mine just smoked, but the the maple is a nice sweet touch.