• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Suburban SF25F. I like the forced air, some don't. They make noise and use power, but provide more even heat and don't take up a 5' wall section. I have a generator, so the power use doesn't really matter. My (2) 6-volt batteries should last 3 days if I were to go without the generator.

Jake, you do realize the blower ones(Suburban) require electricity to run. Everybody I know went back to your old style or at least a small direct vent when they didn't want the noisy fan going or their generator running.

Jake, you do realize the blower ones(Suburban) require electricity to run. Everybody I know went back to your old style or at least a small direct vent when they didn't want the noisy fan going or their generator running.

I have a suburban forced air and it works great. I built a box with soundproof insulation around the furnace. I barely notice the thing running and it nicely heats a 8x16 +3V.

Hey Jessie, Nice to bump into you four this weekend. You were saying you blow up your computer fan every time you use your power vent solenoid. Brushless computer fans have sensitive electronics in them and the vent coil puts out a big inductive kick (spike)when it powers off. There is a fix using a "snubber" diode shown below. It's literally a $0.10 fix, any Radio Shack or Digikey online sell these. Get a part # 1N4148 diode and install it across the power to the vent coil. The striped end goes to the positive lead and the other side goes to ground. If you install it the other way it with release all of it's magic smoke and blow up. It's a super simple fix. Since the spike is coming from the coil that's where you want to put it as close to the coil as feasible.

Ferny.

SnubberDiode_zpsf87d226a.jpg

Hey Ferny! I was hoping you or Loogie would get in touch. Heck of a good time was had with you guys! Sorry I couldn't make it out after the contest...I was in rough shape from a couple dozen beers and needed a nap.

Appreciate the advice on the fan. I'll pick up one of those diodes and give it a whirl.