• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Well, my goal proved to be too aggressive for the weekend smile The roof & trim took way longer than expected.

This is what I started with Saturday morning:

18B995C3-86D0-4EC5-8DE2-37020DA76451-293

The aluminum roofing came in an 8'6" x 24' long roll. I'm guessing it weighed around 100#, which is much lighter than a comparable rubber roof and plywood. Once the VHB tape was applied, it took about 15 minutes to roll the roof out and pull the backing. Very fast!

Step one was pounding the edges down flat with the sidewalls.

283C026E-FAC2-4692-A919-490C48902C24-293

All was great to the point of putting on the first pieces of trim. It turns out that the roof stuck under the flat part of the trim by about 1/2" on the 20' walls. Most people wouldn't care or notice. I have a pneumatic nibbler which worked great for the siding, but for some reason it wouldn't cut the roofing very well. Cutting 40' with a tin snips isn't my idea of a good time.

Up next was the trim, which has a 'rain gutter' type profile.

4D955D30-39A1-4E85-8E9E-3F07559A64B5-293

The corners are all mitered for a (close to) perfect fit. Doing the trim this way was a lot of work, but I have to say that it turned out really nice.

4AF3222D-B890-4EE3-AF32-EA4B8CEFCF7E-293

055FD1AB-DDCE-405A-9FD4-45B9AD76F1B3-293

I was able to sneak away from the office for a couple hours this morning to install the running lights. The window trim is done on two of the windows.

I'd say in two more evenings the outside should be done. I have two windows to trim, the rest of the bottom diamond plate, and the door.

476ECD56-7805-4B2A-BBFE-3DE7EFBE24E3-154

F7A07C1E-88FB-4337-AA2D-905EBBB8B7E7-154

FAF8A292-D95E-438B-8DE4-51B5E9D6BD6F-154

are you going to spray foam the bottom of your shack? and is the subfloor better than green treat plywood?

I will for sure have the floor and roof spray foamed, and I'm 95% sure I'll have the walls sprayed.

The floor is 23/32" Advantech, which is a lot better than green treated.

Do you wire the inside before you have it spray foamed? I am at debating if I should wire the inside before I have it spray foamed or after.

Typically wire before spray foam. I use all heat shrink connectors, and heat shrink insulation over the top of that. Everything is then contained in the insulation, and no risk of connections coming apart. There *shouldn't* ever be a wiring problem when done this way, but if there was, it would be a major project. Kind of a trade off/risk I'm willing to take.

The other option would be to do like Ice Castle does and put a false beam down the middle of the fish house, and contain most of the wires in there. There is still a fair amount of wiring to be run through the walls. I probably would have gone this route if I weren't doing the recessed LED lights.

I have ceiling tiles in my house, they're right next to the ceiling, maybe only 1 1/2" between the studs and the top of the tiles. I love them because you can take them out to rewire things you didnt think about when building it. Between the tiles and cabinets you are able to hide most wires. Also saves some weight because you dont have to panel the ceiling, cheaper too.

Looks like it could be Bo and Luke's ice house with the color and the wheels. Nice work ! !

That would be hillarious if he turned it into a giant General Lee with Confederate Flag on top and all.

Already going to be one of the cooler shacks on the lake, but that would take it to another level.

Haven't had much time to work on this over the last week, but it's slowly moving along. All the windows are trimmed, all of the diamond plate is on (except one piece), and the door is in.

3C78A0F3-343A-480D-A587-E4E97FCD5150-218

BCF4EA74-07AC-4A0B-98DC-5AE8E19CB5E1-218

Once more piece of diamond plate to go, and then it's on to the inside. I can't wait!

Where did you purchase the aluminum for the roof and approximately how much did it cost?

Looks great by the way; be sure to get some photos of it in action this winter!

The roof came from Clint at Ice Assault. It was $480 ($20/foot). The trim around the outside was $6/foot, and I used 60'.

Finally got the outside done last night. There was a lot of precise bends and cuts needed for the diamond plate, so it took some extra time getting that sorted out. Waiting for a final proof of decals for the outside.

63D404E4-E861-49D3-A198-041CF5DC7788-293

I'll finish up the furring strips and wheel wells tonight, and maybe get started on wiring. I'm hoping to have this spray foamed next week.

Looking for bids if anyone from FM does spray foam.

did you bend the diamond plate around the bottom of the frame or does it just butt up against it? If it is not bent underneath, what did you seel up the gap between the diamond plate and frame rail with?

It runs to the bottom of the frame, but isn't bent around. You certainly could.

There is 3m VHB between the siding and diamond plate, and nothing at the bottom (the tape doesn't stick to powdercoating very well). It would be virtually impossible to totally seal it at the top (siding seams), so I left it open to drain any moisture that would get in. It will have stainless screws at the bottom.

0A0F8649-75E5-4755-B046-6AD43BEBACBE-464

The furring strips are done, and the bathroom wall got framed up this morning. Between the floor and the furring strips, I used 650 self tappers!

The upper left corner is where the TV is going. I'm going to recess it fully into the wall a) as a theft deterrent, and B) to be able to have a bunk fold in front of it and still be able to support it on the bathroom wall.

Up next is a lot of wiring. I have 1200', but I'm not sure it'll be enough. All I know is that I can't wait to be done!

Looks like it will be a great "shack"! I would go with the spray foam in the walls too. From my experience with foamed houses, the VHB tape holds the aluminum tight and you don't see the bowing/quilting effect very much at all. It seems that the place you can have problems is when there are interior cross member boards and the foam expands between the siding and the interior boards. Having owned and fished fully foamed houses, I just can't pass up the strength and warmth they offer ... nothing else like it.